Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great british swear words. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tungska Butterfly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:18 am
Personally, I like buggery. As in "Ah buggery!" ... not in the literal sense. I just think it has a nicer ring to it than a plain old bugger. I often swear at work when I do something wrong.

Also, I think t**t should be reclaimed as a British swear word. Americans seem to use it as a slightly less offensive c**t, but they never use it about people! Theres just nothing more satisfying than a long exasperated "You t**t!" if someone messes up. Then again theres the verb version of "twatting about", which is also funny!

Along the lines of Knob Jockey, we also have arse bandit ... my father has a litany of them left over from public school. They range from the merely descriptive of "faintly lemon scented" to the slightly more blatant of "limp writed" to the downright offensive of "pillow biter". NOT a big fan of the gay swears though!

Also, someone was looking for more regional swears. Well, Around Dublin and Wicklow people are often referred to as "spanners", I assume this works much the same way as spoon? Then theres the Cork of LANGER! As in YOR NUTTIN BUT A LANGHOR! I don't know if you have the word langer in England, but it means p***s. But to get the full effect of that insult, it really has to be said in the native Corkonian. It's a beautiful phrase really!

I think, however, that the word wank is the best British swear word. It's just so .... BRITISH! Especially if you draw out the w's such as wwwWANKERS! I like that one!

A friend of mine often refers to me as a lanky streak of piss?

Theres also some Irish ones. Such as Omadawn and Gombeen (thats how you pronounce them, not spell them).  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:43 pm
As for insults, there is an oldish brick bus-stop on my road which has graffitied inside it the words "Steph Price is a pointy-nosed slag."

I don't know why that amuses me, but it does.

Invictus_88
Captain

Sashmo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:42 pm
an irish word ... to ride... as in shag  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:43 pm
I don't think that's exclusively Irish, m'dear...  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:57 am
Sashmo

What, slag? I thought it was more to go with waste material from metalworking. In which case it is probably a Northern English word.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:08 am
Quote:
slag
1552, from M.L.G. slagge (Ger. Schlacke) "splinter flying off when metal is struck," related to O.H.G. slahan "to strike, slay" (see slay). Verbal slang meaning "denigrate" is from 1971, from noun sense of "worthless person" (178 cool .

So there we have it, my love-affair with the Online Etymology Dictionary works again. Old High Germanic root origin, 1788 noun meaning worthless person. 1788 putting it at what I imagine must have been vaguely about the start of the industrial age.  

Invictus_88
Captain

Sashmo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:31 am
Invictus_88
Sashmo

What, slag? I thought it was more to go with waste material from metalworking. In which case it is probably a Northern English word.

nah, i remember being about 10 and going to ireland to see family when they asked what my hobbies were i said horse riding and they fell about laughing.... that's how i foound out riding for them meant f**king...... obviously that wasn't the type of riding i thought off , but if you hear an irish person say riding specially a dubliner... really... the accent makes them own that insult.... (check out the commitments you'll understand then )  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:25 am
Ride isn't an insult! If you were to say "That girls a ride!" you'd be saying "She's very attractive, I could have her!". Not thats she's exactly easy, but if you use the word ride you're of the persuasion of people who think all girls fall over and spread their legs if you buy them a bacardi or a bulmers ...

Ie. A t**t!  

Tungska Butterfly

xXx White Lily xXx

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:19 pm
Invictus_88
As for insults, there is an oldish brick bus-stop on my road which has graffitied inside it the words "Steph Price is a pointy-nosed slag."

That's terribly polite in comparison to most things I see written on bus stops.. and walls... and lamp posts... and pavements... you get the picture... Do you not use the word "slag" down south?  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 12:34 pm
Tungska Butterfly
Ride isn't an insult! If you were to say "That girls a ride!" you'd be saying "She's very attractive, I could have her!". Not thats she's exactly easy, but if you use the word ride you're of the persuasion of people who think all girls fall over and spread their legs if you buy them a bacardi or a bulmers ...

Ie. A t**t!

well hey I am just contributing to this far superior, challenging and "intelligent" thread about swear words (i.e. TAKING THE PISS and having a giggle) I was speaking of an experience in Ireland I had.... where the word *ride* meant to ********** someone... never mind... i hadn't realised this was such a serious thread domokun domokun  

Sashmo

Tungska Butterfly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:09 pm
I wasn't being serious either ... believe me, I've had many a giggle when I mention the word ride round some people I know ... stare

Just thought I'd let you know!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:20 pm
Tungska Butterfly
I wasn't being serious either ... believe me, I've had many a giggle when I mention the word ride round some people I know ... stare

Just thought I'd let you know!

ok my appologises x heart my mistake  

Sashmo

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:31 pm
xXx White Lily xXx
Invictus_88

That's terribly polite in comparison to most things I see written on bus stops.. and walls... and lamp posts... and pavements... you get the picture... Do you not use the word "slag" down south?

It is, it's refresingly countrysidey. A bit quaint, but quite endearing for all that.

Oh, he have slags down here. Multitudes. It's just it's a slang from metalworking and well, we ain't go no metalworkin's down'ere. Not in Wiltshire. Pleny'o tra'ors mind!

No, I guessed it's Northern in origin. But it's etymology, not experience.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:02 pm
We had the members of the student congress walking around in t-shirts bearing the word BINT on it today. It stood for Bullying Is Not Tolerated but I still can't believe it went through. I know bint is a bit out of use but most people do know that it's an insult.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:17 pm
ice_illusion
We had the members of the student congress walking around in t-shirts bearing the word BINT on it today. It stood for Bullying Is Not Tolerated but I still can't believe it went through. I know bint is a bit out of use but most people do know that it's an insult.

It's common currency in the army.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces