Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
Great British Politics. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:57 am
I know.

I'm wary though, he arrives in a very similar situation, direction and historical context to the way that Blair arrived in the Labour party.

I'd sooner have the tories keep their integrity and stay out of government for another ten years in order to return in a state to undo all the damage done by New Labour that have them warp into a New Labourite goop and be elected next term leaving us with no prevailing school of political thought to save Britain in years subsequent.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:35 am
only one thing for it then.. make me PM.

i'm not joking...  

Mr. Bono Vox

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:07 am
PM is not a role I'd ever wish to be burdened with. You are called upon to scarafice all individuality and vision in order to cater to the whims of the opinion polls.

MP, Peer or Cabinet Minister, maybe. Perhaps.

Nontheless, I hope I don't have to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:55 am
David Cameron looks like the most disastrous political decision the tories could make, to me. His media image seems to be that of the bourgeoisie Etonian - that may be unjustified, but it's how he comes accros, and it's not going to get the Tories votes. Once again they've made the wrong choice and chosen a leader they like, rather than one the public will like.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:46 am
Damn fools.

Lets hope the chosen leader will surprise us, in a good way.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:05 pm
Am I alone in thinking that all in all New Labour have not been that bad? They've been no worse or full of sleeze that previous Conservative governments.

Anyway, I have to say that "when he has won an election he can give advice to someone who's won three" was my quote of the day.

Lords should be an elected body; I'll support reform that removed the rampant cronyism on all sides and replaces it with a proper PR house.  

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:32 am
To be honest, I don't have that many quarrels with new labour policy. I am against the hunting ban, but I would be very much against legalising it again. I just think it was a waste of government time and media attention for such a non-issue. I also think it was a very smart move by Blair to get public attention away from the war (which I am also very much against). Other than that, I don't think Labour have made such a botch of things as people make out. My main objection is not one of policy, but one that concerns Blair's presidential style of government.
To me Tory are certainly no better, if anything worse. I was deeply unconvinced by Howard's election campaign last year, which seemed to revolve around the mantra "Mr. Blair lied to us". And as for LibDem...well, in many respects I approve of their policies, but the fact is that they're just incompetant, and having them in government would be a disaster.
I also think that Blair is by far the best politician and speaker in this country. He has an incredible ability to defend his policies, and seemingly conjure up votes out of nowhere. I think Labour have to a certain extent forgotten exactly how important he was leading them out of the wilderness in the post-Thatcher years. I think it's a real shame that such an able politician should become what Blair now is.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:13 pm
Hm, so far as I see it..

..Britain has been going on the wrong path regarding a number of key issues for quite a while now, and we have been left with no party yet able to correct the matter.

My support for the tories is not so much because of what they are now, but that they seem the party most able to become what we need.

A protector of individual freedoms, for everyone.

Invictus_88
Captain

Mr. Bono Vox

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:16 pm
i'm.. er..converting myself? gonk i read David Camerons interveiw on the BBC website... he described himself as er.. a 'fan' of Thacher....

Quote:
Asked whether he was a Thatcherite, he claimed he was "certainly a big Thatcher fan, but I don't know whether that makes me a Thatcherite".

... this has seriously put me off him and will put me off the Conservative party if they vote him in. why i dont like Thacher?
Anglo-Irish agreement... and in the 80's she began the whole process that has lead to what is currently going on in N.I.
i will never forgive thacher and her puppy major for the crimes against the union.

i personally did not live through the thacher years but for what i have heard she behaved like blair is behaving now. (and has been doing so for the last 8 years)

Francis, i'm sorry but i will not support a party that goes back to thatcherism, that thatcherism that destroyed the identity of the Conservative party. she made them unelectable and made them unacceptable to the people. and her stench still haunts the Conservative seats in the commons today.

i'm seriously thinking Lib Dem.. Simon will be pleased no doubt...  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:29 pm
I see that we are gonna make a bid to host the world cup in 2018. That would be great! biggrin  

Veterus

Unforgiving Elder

7,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:36 am
Mr. Bono Vox
Francis, i'm sorry but i will not support a party that goes back to thacherism, that thacherism that destroyed the identity of the Conservative party. she made them unelectable and made them unacceptable to the people. and her stench still haunts the Conservative seats in the commons today.

I don't agree with all she did, but overall she was a necessity. A bitter pill to be taken which brought us into a modern world. Like it or not, it was necessary for us to still be on the world stage today.

Going back though should be out of the question. It was overall (notable exceptions evident) a good thing for the 1980's, but out of the question for now.

We need freedom for the individual, smaller and decentralised government, greater accountability and social re-reform.

Ha! No cheesy lines like "Education, education, education" here! It all makes good solid sense, the last of this list isn't strictly Tory though, it's just one of mine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:17 pm
Mr. Bono Vox
i'm.. er..converting myself? gonk i read David Camerons interveiw on the BBC website... he described himself as er.. a 'fan' of Thacher....

Quote:
Asked whether he was a Thatcherite, he claimed he was "certainly a big Thatcher fan, but I don't know whether that makes me a Thatcherite".

... this has seriously put me off him and will put me off the Conservative party if they vote him in. why i dont like Thacher?
Anglo-Irish agreement... and in the 80's she began the whole process that has lead to what is currently going on in N.I.
i will never forgive thacher and her puppy major for the crimes against the union.

i personally did not live through the thacher years but for what i have heard she behaved like blair is behaving now. (and has been doing so for the last 8 years)

Francis, i'm sorry but i will not support a party that goes back to thacherism, that thacherism that destroyed the identity of the Conservative party. she made them unelectable and made them unacceptable to the people. and her stench still haunts the Conservative seats in the commons today.

I must win you over with the Maggie Thatcher song...

Although... I think it was from the IRA's perspective. Meh, it's Thatcher-slagging, who cares?
xd ninja  

Nebelstern
Crew

Mr. Bono Vox

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:42 pm
Invictus_88

I don't agree with all she did, but overall she was a necessity. A bitter pill to be taken which brought us into a modern world. Like it or not, it was necessary for us to still be on the world stage today.
hm.

Quote:
Going back though should be out of the question. It was overall (notable exceptions evident) a good thing for the 1980's, but out of the question for now.
of course it is out of the question for us normal people, but it clearly isnt for the parliamentary Conservative party who voted DC into the final ballot ahead of davis. remember, DC is the prodigy of howard, and he was or may still be a thatcherite.
Quote:
We need freedom for the individual, smaller and decentralised government, greater accountability and social re-reform.
i disagree with the second point. de-centralisation divides the Union.

Quote:
Ha! No cheesy lines like "Education, education, education" here! It all makes good solid sense, the last of this list isn't strictly Tory though, it's just one of mine.
xp  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:43 pm
Nebelstern
Mr. Bono Vox

Quote:

I must win you over with the Maggie Thatcher song...

Although... I think it was from the IRA's perspective. Meh, it's Thatcher-slagging, who cares?
xd ninja
hmm... i shall see after Dec 6th...  

Mr. Bono Vox

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:41 am
Mr. Bono Vox
Invictus_88

of course it is out of the question for us normal people, but it clearly isnt for the parliamentary Conservative party who voted DC into the final ballot ahead of davis. remember, DC is the prodigy of howard, and he was or may still be a thatcherite.

How is Michael Howard thatcherite? I never saw any really stark parallels myself. Either way, Lib/Dems are too weak to stand against Republicanism and New Labour are rather too sympathising for my taste.

Mr. Bono Vox
Invictus_88

i disagree with the second point. de-centralisation divides the Union.

Decentralisation in the form of local government. In that rather than having power held in the PM and little else, the power should be in the first instance held by parliament, and in the second instance held by local levels of government. This gives you a valid engine for making laws, and a local level to make them most applicable to the people who they serve. Power should be in Westminster, not in a Prime Minister.

Mr. Bono Vox
Invictus_88

xp

I think most people would approve of that one..  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games