Main OOC Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Clash Badman

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:21 pm
Spooky Mittens
I'm a longsword boi tbh; Type 18b. For one handed swords I am in love with Type 2 Falchions, but I like the type 21 and 16. Though the 21 is a bit of an odd duck since it's used more often to reference Cinquedea which can be sword length or dagger length.

The Type 2 Falchion is most imposing. :shudders: I could just never see myself using such a weapon against another human being, which is why I like anime and manga swords the best, like those used by, say, Zabuza Momochi from Naruto or Cloud Strife from FFVII. I would truly rather have to settle things with my feet or fists than with a dagger or knife any day, honestly.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:23 pm
Clash Badman
The Type 2 Falchion is most imposing. :shudders: I could just never see myself using such a weapon against another human being, which is why I like anime and manga swords the best, like those used by, say, Zabuza Momochi from Naruto or Cloud Strife from FFVII. I would truly rather have to settle things with my feet or fists than with a dagger or knife any day, honestly.

I can respect that. I like swordsmanship as an academic and athletic pursuit but I wouldn't ever want to use a sharp sword against someone.

I dunno if I'd call that falchion imposing though. It's kind of interesting how they're used and you wouldn't necessarily expect it.  

Spooky Mittens

Benevolent Spook

15,600 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Full closet 200
  • Candy Fiend 150

Clash Badman

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:37 pm
Spooky Mittens
I dunno if I'd call that falchion imposing though. It's kind of interesting how they're used and you wouldn't necessarily expect it.

I meant imposing when used as a butchering tool. A guy of my strength could surely wield one, and could likely penetrate human skin with the point, easily. I know next to nothing of real life swordsmanship or fencing, though, other than what I have incorporated into my repertoire from other martial arts or my natural skill. I like to use katanas, too, in a fantasy setting, which is probably why my avatar is equipped with one. I do have a few techniques at my disposal, such as an on-the-draw slash and whatnot.  
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 8:44 pm
Clash Badman

I meant imposing when used as a butchering tool. A guy of my strength could surely wield one, and could likely penetrate human skin with the point, easily. I know next to nothing of real life swordsmanship or fencing, though, other than what I have incorporated into my repertoire from other martial arts or my natural skill. I like to use katanas, too, in a fantasy setting, which is probably why my avatar is equipped with one. I do have a few techniques at my disposal, such as an on-the-draw slash and whatnot.

Well it's really not for butchering. The picture I linked is just jacked up because they're antiques. The edge of the sword is actually on the "wrong" side with those, so the part that hooks inward.

In fencing that clip at the end is used to engage your opponent's weapon and jockey for position c: you don't need much strength to pierce or cut, but strength translates to speed.

I like eastern swords in general. Especially middle eastern swords like shamshir. The Indian tulwar is another favorite. Oxtail dao from China. And Muromachi period Tachi from Japan.  

Spooky Mittens

Benevolent Spook

15,600 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Full closet 200
  • Candy Fiend 150

Clash Badman

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:05 pm
Spooky Mittens

Ew! Middle Eastern swords remind me of this snuff video I once watched that my uncle had on his computer where members of the Taliban cut off a U.S. marine’s head. And I don’t really like India or China, let alone the types of weapons they use. I like Japanese swords, such as the Muramasa or Masamune. When it comes to American weapons, I’d have to say that the bowie knife or saber are my favorites. My OC used to use a saber, believe it or not. And a gunblade at one time, too, a la Squall from Final Fantasy VIII! Nowadays, I am trying to be more original.

Do you have any favorite martial arts techniques? Because if you do, you’d really be speaking my language. evil  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:18 am
Clash Badman

I mean, you can't really say you like Japanese swords and in the same breath decry Chinese and Indian swords. These cultures have always had massive bleed over with each other. Miao dao, also called Chang dao in earlier periods was used in China about 100 years before the Tachi appears in Japan.

Persian swords can be quite beautiful, and we have the middle east to thank for the ever misrepresented Damascus steel (wootz if it comes from literally anywhere else). Like this.

Indian swords are similar, highly decorative and very interesting like this tulwar, but they come in all kinds of different styles.

I like the US model 1860 heavy cavalry saber, but my favorite sabres are from Poland, if you don't count Chinese and Persian curved swords that is. Like this hussar szabla.

I don't have a favorite technique, because every technique is just a small piece of a larger puzzle. You wouldn't say you have a favorite puzzle piece and just ignore the other 999 pieces. I have some styles rank ordered though. BJJ is probably the most effective style out there. I admire the aesthetics of Wing Chun and the history of the art. I am most practiced in European martial arts though, specifically Fiore, so if we go off of that then Fiore's fendente would be the single technique I use the most and therefore could be argued as "my favorite".  

Spooky Mittens

Benevolent Spook

15,600 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Full closet 200
  • Candy Fiend 150

Clash Badman

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 4:25 am
BJJ is certainly interesting. I heard during the first UFC commentary that Royce Gracie always had his nose in a manga. Those swords you showed me remind me of cutlasses. Do you have any favorite mangas you read? Also, you know special abilities are permitted in this tournament, right?  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:05 am
Clash Badman

A cutlass is a different kind of military sword. It's more influenced by earlier backswords than the sabres of Britain or France. You can see in the 1804 pattern how closely it resembles earlier backsword patterns. The guard and grip styles don't much resemble Mameluke styles that British military sabres came to emulate. Cutlasses also tend to be on the shorter side.

Favorite manga? Hard to say. I don't really read a lot of them anymore but I guess Samurai8 is one that intrigues me the most. It got cancelled by the author pretty early on though so the ending is sloppy and rushed. I'm currently up to date on One Punch Man and Boruto. Blue Exorcist is good, and Agravity Boys is a weird one that I'm into.

Yes I know powers are allowed, but if Pollen wants to fight me without powers then who am I to argue? I prefer RM/UM anyway.  

Spooky Mittens

Benevolent Spook

15,600 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Full closet 200
  • Candy Fiend 150

Clash Badman

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 5:24 am
I’ve read the first two issues of Boruto so far. It seemed like it’d be a killer. I’m rereading Naruto, might restart Boruto, and am also reading Dragonball Z the manga for the first time.  
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:10 am
The character design in Boruto is just really good. The story is going in an interesting direction. If you have plans to read further I won't spoil anything c:  

Spooky Mittens

Benevolent Spook

15,600 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Full closet 200
  • Candy Fiend 150

MagnusXL

Wealthy Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:02 pm
Spooky Mittens
Suh bruh c:
Not much. Been a while since I've seen you around.  
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:32 pm
MagnusXL
Not much. Been a while since I've seen you around.

I'm always lurking, even when I don't post c:  

Spooky Mittens

Benevolent Spook

15,600 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Full closet 200
  • Candy Fiend 150

Spooky Mittens

Benevolent Spook

15,600 Points
  • Buggin' 500
  • Full closet 200
  • Candy Fiend 150
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:37 pm
Drifting Pollen

Wanted to touch base with you about your positioning in your last post. I seems like you're under the assumption that Tirkas' sword is not in the way? And your advancing step, is this a short step or a lunge, or something in between?  
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:49 pm
When's the tournament?

I'm revving my engine.  

Hael the Great

Clash Badman

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:35 pm
Lithfangel
When's the tournament?

I'm revving my engine.

If certain people don’t show to their fights, I’ll see about working you in. blaugh  
OOC Threads

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 16 17 18 19 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff