Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
Mythology I ~ Updated Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:12 pm
User Image

β„‚π•Œβ„β„π”Όβ„•π•‹π•ƒπ•
                                                          ╔═══════════════════════════════╗

Dating Grayson Powell
                                                          Looking Lovely in her Classroom with her Students
                                                          xxxFEELINGxxx
                                                          Calm
                                                          xxxTHINKINGxxx
                                                          ❝ I wonder what they'll have to say today, ❞

β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•

The rain is fallin' on my windowpanes, დ დ დxxx
                                                          But we are hiding in a safer place. დ დ დxxxxxx
                                                          Under covers staying dry and warm; დ დ დxxxxxxxxx
                                                          You give me feelings that I adore. დ დ დxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                          ═════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

spaceAmata sat, perched as ever on her desk, and watched as her students came in and took their seats. She waited a moment for them to get situated and to take out their things before beginning the lecture. "Alright, class, today's story is an interesting one, The Warlock's Hairy Heart. It's regarded by many to be more of a horror story than one for children. Because of this, it has sparked a lot of controversy, as have most of the Bard's tales. Hopefully you've all read the story; if not, you're going to be a bit behind. The summary is on the board, but it is just a summary, after all, and missing quite a bit of important information." She paused, curious to see if anyone scrambled for their book and tried to start reading now. Doing so would lose house points; she didn't appreciate students not doing the reading. After a moment, she spoke. "This story is, in a word, horrifying. It was meant to evoke feelings of fear and shock. This is a far cry from the Bard's other stories, which are typically considered to be much more light-hearted. It has been suggested that the rather graphic nature of the story was intentional; the Bard meant to shock his readers so that they would always remember the story, to ensure that the lesson it held stuck with them. Can anyone tell me what the purpose of this particular story is?" The answer to this one was simple; it was written on the board in black and white, after all. She waited to see if anyone would answer.

β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•
                                                          xxxდ დ დ It starts in my toes, makes me crinkle my nose.
                                                          xxxxxxდ დ დ Wherever it goes, I always know
                                                          xxxxxxxxxდ დ დ That you make me smile, please stay for a while.
                                                          xxxxxxxxxxxxდ დ დ Just take your time, wherever you go.

User Image

(( OOC: ))

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:12 pm
User Image

User ImageUser Image Location: Mythology : Thursday (3:00pm to 3:45pm)

Alice walked into her class and took a seat. As she started taking down the notes Alice recalled reading about the tale. She wasn’t a fan about it, regardless she’d at least read it. At least she never had to worry about losing house points in the class. She agreed with her professor about the tale being more like a horror story. It wasn’t the nicest story she’d ever read. β€œThe purpose of the story was to tell us not to seek power by using the dark arts.” She answered with a smile. She’d certainly never do such a thing.

With: Professor Harlowe

Wearing: Hufflepuff Uniform

OOC: ---  

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:46 pm
Lesson 4: The Warlock's Hairy Heart

User Image

Lesson Closed

OOC:

Homework: Write a short essay on the phrase 'to have a hairy heart' and why you believe the heart became so cold and twisted in its years of seclusion.

Homework for Lesson 4 should be turned into Professor Harlowe's Office before the end of Lesson 5.

10 total House Points awarded to Alice Lancaster of Hufflepuff House.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:47 pm
Lesson 5: Beatrix Bloxam

User Image

The Woman:
              β€’ Bloxam was born in 1794.
              β€’ As a child, she was traumatized by hearing her aunt tell her older cousins the story β€œThe Warlock’s Hairy Heart,” which she was too young to hear at the time.
              β€’ She also overheard the telling of her uncle’s indiscretion with the local hag, apparently a disturbing and unusual affair involving bouncing bulbs, the details of which are unknown.
              β€’ These events traumatized her so that she dedicated her life to β€˜purifying’ the stories told to children.
              β€’ She sought to fill children’s heads only with β€˜happy thoughts,’ believing that the original tales led to children being β€˜preoccupied with the most horrid subjects.’
              β€’ She rewrote the tales in an adaptation she called β€˜toadstool tales,’ which was universally hated by children and caused uncontrollable vomiting, leading them to eventually be banned.
              β€’ Interestingly, she was never able to write a version of β€œThe Warlock’s Hairy Heart” which she deemed appropriate for children, and so was unable to β€˜save’ children from the very story that she believed had traumatized her.
              β€’ Many believe that the story of her uncle’s affair was the true cause of the traumatization, which is why no other children have ever suffered such ill effects to the story.
              β€’ There are several parallels between Mrs. Bloxam and the famous muggle children’s author Beatrix Potter. Less informed readers are often of the incorrect belief that they were actually one and the same person.

Homework: Write a short essay on whether or not you believe Mrs. Bloxam's belief that the original tales were inappropriate for children was correct.

OOC:

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, your house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. This is waived if you are listed as absent, or your character is unable to attend lessons starting before the first meeting of the class.

The Forgotten Weasley
Eleazar Bradley
Present: 2/4
Absent: 2/4

murruelecreuset
Alice Lancaster
Present: 3/4
Absent: 1/4

Clockwork Muse
Salem Abraxas
Present: 0/4
Absent: 4/4

Grespeciatto
Anastasia Romellier
Hoffman Heist

Sir Spazalots
Tyson Xanders

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:49 pm
User Image

Dating Grayson Powell
                                                          xxxFEELINGxxx
                                                          Calm
                                                          xxxTHINKINGxxx

β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•

spaceAmata sat, perched as ever on her desk, and watched as her students came in and took their seats. She waited a moment for them to get situated and to take out their things before beginning the lecture. "This lesson will be a little different. Rather than discussing one of the stories written by Beedle the Bard, we will be discussing Beatrix Bloxam. I trust you're all familiar with her, although if not, there is an entry about her in your textbook. " She paused, curious to see if anyone scrambled for their book and tried to start reading now. Doing so would lose house points; she didn't appreciate students not doing the reading. After a moment, she spoke. "Now, as we have spent most of the term discussing, Beedle the Bard was a rather controversial figure in our history; so much so that his work was subject to constant rewrites and bastardizations. One of the most famous people to adapt Beedle's work is Mrs. Bloxam. Unlike many of the others who chose to rewrite his work, Mrs. Bloxam held no issue with his work showing a preference for muggles and preaching equality; she simply found them to be inappropriate for children. And so, she made it her sworn duty to rewrite the stories to make them more 'child-friendly.' She took almost every single one of the Bard's stories and rewrote them in her own manner, believing it to be more appropriate. Of course, there was one story she couldn't seem to make fit her definition of appropriate, and so she never rewrote it. Can anyone tell me which story that was, and why?" The answer to this one was simple; it was written on the board in black and white, after all. She waited to see if anyone would answer.

β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•β•

User Image

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:39 pm
Lesson 1: Beedle the Bard

User Image

The Man:
              β€’ Born in Yorkshire in the 15th century.
              β€’ Author of many of the wizarding world’s most well-known and famous folktales.
              β€’ Little is known of the man or his personal life.
              β€’ Many of his tales sparked controversy due to his apparently high opinion of non-magical folk and treatment of wizards who valued pure bloodlines or ambitious designs.
              β€’ He mistrusted all forms of Dark Magic and believed that wizards were far from immune to the lure of those worst traits of humankind.
              β€’ His stories were unusual in that in them, the heroes were rarely those with the strongest magic, but rather those who possessed traits such as kindness, common sense, ingenuity.
              β€’ There are various parallels between Beedle and the famous muggle playwright William Shakespeare, both of whom are referred to as β€˜The Bard.’ Less informed readers are often of the incorrect belief that they were actually one and the same person.

The Tales:
              β€’ The Fountain of Fair Fortune: Enclosed in a magical garden lays The Fountain of Fair Fortune, a magical fountain whose waters are believed to cure the aliment of any bathe in its waters. Three witches, suffering from poverty, illness and heartbreak, travel with an unfortunate knight to seek its blessing.
              β€’ The Wizard and the Hopping Pot: A kindly old wizard, who uses his magic to help the non-magical folk of a nearby village, passes away, leaving his blood purist son as their only assistance in times of trouble. The son, however, has little interest in helping the muggles. He is punished for his hard headedness by a magical pot, which his father enchanted to become afflicted with anything those in the village are afflicted with.
              β€’ The Warlock’s Hairy Heart: A warlock becomes convinced that love is a true weakness, and seeking to become powerful and without any weaknesses, locks his heart away so that he can never fall in love.

Homework: Write a short essay on Beedle and how public opinion of muggles during his lifetime may have led to controversy concerning his stories. Offer your opinion on the perspectives of both the Bard and his peers.

OOC:

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, his/her house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. This is waived if you are listed as absent.

First Lesson Survey:

[align=center][b]Name:[/b] Your first and last name.
[b]House:[/b] Your house.
[b]Year:[/b] Your year.
[b]Blood Status:[/b] I know this is something of a personal question, but I would like you to let me know if you are a pureblood, halfblood or muggleborn. It can help me to understand your background and thus how familiar you may be with the curriculum.
[b]Curriculum:[/b] Please list aspects of the curriculum that you are already familiar with.
[b]Something interesting about you:[/b] Just so I can get to know you better! This can be about anything, from your pets to your lessons here to whatever else you want to tell me.[/align]

mc2
Cathaline League

Diamond Wales
Elijah Pemberton

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:43 pm
User Image

Dating Grayson Powell
                                                          xxxFEELINGxxx
                                                          Excited
                                                          xxxTHINKINGxxx
                                                          ❝ New year, new students... let's see what this batch is like. ❞

spaceAmata entered the classroom with a gentle smile, eager to start the new term. She assumed her typical stance, sitting on the edge of her desk, back straight, and looked over the classroom a moment before beginning. "Hello, everyone, I'm Amata Harlowe, and I'll be your Mythology professor. You can call me Professor Harlowe. Now, when you arrive in my class, the first thing you should do is copy down the day's notes from the board. I'll give you a few minutes to do that, and then we'll begin a discussion on the lesson's subject. I'd like you all to know that this lesson operates mostly on a discussion basis. That is, I will give the information that the lesson covers, and then I'll open the floor for discussion. Any student who contributes will earn house points, provided that their contribution is not offensive or rude or disruptive. Please respect your fellow students and their opinions, even if you don't agree with them."

spaceAmata paused, giving them a moment to let that sink in. Not that she expected problems from any of them, but one could never be too sure, after all. After a decent pause, she began a short lecture. "Our first lesson is on Beedle the Bard. If you could all please copy the notes on the board, I've included most of the important information there. One of the most important things to know about the Bard is that he was a controversial figure in his time, and is still considered to be one by some. His views were ahead of their time, radical for the period. Can anyone tell me why, or offer up any interesting information on the Bard? Or, if you have a question, feel free to ask." She waited, her demeanor expectant and curious. It was always interesting to hear what the newest batch of students thought of the lessons. This first topic had been cleverly selected to allow her to get a feel for them and their beliefs and opinions. Thus far, she hadn't had any students who seemed to follow a strictly purist leaning, for which she was grateful. She doubted very much if she'd be able to keep her attitude professional if a student tried to argue the finer points of pureblood superiority with her.

User Image

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:54 pm
User Image

❀ Cathy ❀

❀ I was born on August 3, 2014.
❀ My blood is B+. Sorry you care about how 'pure' it is? I am pureblood, my father is a Squib. Does it matter?
❀ Do you still want to know more about me?
❀ Oh, and my big brother is a 5th year Ravenclaw.

❀ My directions say I am... {in Muggle Mythology I}
❀ My time on the clock is Thrusday, Block 7
❀ And I am looking {like the adorable badger that I am!}

❀
                                                          space

"Good afternoon, Professor Harlowe," Cathy greeted with a smile as she picked up a survey and added, "I assume that you want me to fill out another one since I'm in both classes-easier for records, yes?" She sat down and quickly filled out the survey and took notes on the topic on the board-Beedle the Bard.

-------------------------------

Name: Cathaline League (I prefer any version of shortening that)
                                                          House: Hufflepuff.
                                                          Year: 3rd Year.
                                                          Blood Status: its complicated
                                                          Curriculum: I started reading a lot of the magical stories like Beedle the Bard's work when I got my acceptance letter to Hogwarts.
                                                          Something interesting about you: I'm fluent in four languages: English, Latin (classical), French, and Mandarin Chinese. I wanted to start learning Ancient Greek this summer but my family decided on German instead.
                                                          -------------------------------

She glanced up as the professor asked for more interesting information on him or why his views were controversial and ahead of his time. "Well, you could still consider him slightly controversial now," Cathy ventured. "I mean a lot of families still view muggleborns in worse lights. And old families tend to be richer families. Money equals power and influence, sadly. But at the end of the day it comes to this: many wizards and witches really don't know all that much about muggle culture-and there is tons of different ones-and history is full of examples of how societies need a group to hate. Usually it is a group obviously different than them. Muggles don't have magic so it is a pretty distinct difference. They are easy to hate by magical society and to propose that muggles aren't really much different than any type of witch or wizard and it is a good personality and heart that matters more is sort of a slap in the face of all things that a very traditional society believes. Even today, most wizards and witches if they don't intigrate themselves much with muggle life feel a bit of pitty towards muggles as they have to 'make do without magic'. But they do fine. Muggles could say wizards have to 'make do without technology' or to some degree they do. It works either way." She ended with a shrug and a somewhat apologetic smile.

❀

(( OOC))
                                                          Quote:
                                                          Quote:

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:44 am
User Image
                                                I believe the sun should never set upon an argument
                                                I believe we place our happiness in other people's hands
                                                I believe that junk food tastes so good because it's bad for you
                                                I believe your parents did the best job they knew how to do

User Image
                                                ════════════════════════

TʜΙͺΚ€α΄… Yᴇᴀʀ || Rα΄€α΄ α΄‡Ι΄α΄„ΚŸα΄€α΄‘ || Mα΄œΙ’Ι’ΚŸα΄‡-Bᴏʀɴ

════════════════════════

Eli entered after Cathy, blinking as he took a seat next to the blonde and filled out his own piece of parchment. He had to stop and pause as he thought about some of his responses, and honestly, he could definitely say that he was a fish out of water. In this subject, at least.

Name: Elijah Pemberton
                                                House: Ravenclaw
                                                Year: Third
                                                Blood Status: Muggleborn, least that's what I've been told. Still convinced most wizards are vampires because of all the blood talk.
                                                Curriculum: Umm, I kind of read Tales of Beedle the Bard back in second year. It was pretty cool.
                                                Something interesting about you: Well, I'm albino, I like horror movies, and I am... Odd, I guess? Everyone when I was growing up said I was odd, anyway. Maybe they had some sort of weird thinking because I don't think I am.

He finished his form and turned it in, then listened as the professor went into the topic of the day. He wrote down some notes and ended up doodling a bit on the parchment he was writing on, up until he heard the professor ask about why Beedle the Bard was considered radical. He rose his hand and decided to put in his two cents.
                                                "Well, you can also look at it from a historical viewpoint too, since back then, there was a lot of fear about muggles because of things that were going on, and I guess parents didn't want their kids associating too much with muggles in case they were singled out for being magical and persecuted. Not that the idea of blood purity is right by any stretch. I mean, I'm just as magical as Cathy is, and the idea that just because I was born to muggles somehow makes me less capable is ridiculous. I mean, what happens if a muggle were born from two magical parents? Are they gonna say that somehow I stole their kid's magic or something? I wouldn't even know how to, unless it's another one of those blood ideas and I switched my blood with theirs, which still sounds to me like a bunch of vampire stuff that I can't do because I'm not one. I like garlic too much to be a vampire."

════════════════════════
                                                Thinking: Well, more stuff about vampires. Woooooooooooooooooow...
                                                OOC:

User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

I believe you can't control or choose your sexuality
                                                I believe that trust is more important than monogamy
                                                I believe your most attractive features are your heart and soul
                                                I believe that family is worth more than money or gold

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:18 am
User Image

❀ Cathy ❀

❀ My blood is B+. Sorry you care about how 'pure' it is? I am pureblood, my father is a Squib. Does it matter?

❀
                                                          space

"Squib, Eli," Cathy corrected quietly looking away and blushing slightly, "A child born to magical parents who doesn't have magic is called a squib." She glanced back at him, "That's what Dad is..."

"Anyways, it depends on the family how they would describe why a squib was born to it," Cathy added. "I mean the family could just consider it to be a child with a horrific disability of sorts for example. I think magic is more genetic, though, then related to blood transfusions or whatever... I mean I think it was mentioned that even if Dad hadn't married a witch it was likely for him to have a magical child anyways."

She smiled and shrugged, "Isn't that the theory of muggleborns though? That usually they just have a squib somewhere in their family tree? Or that is one of the theories, right, professor? I basically try to ignore the discussion when it is brought up to be honest."

❀

(( OOC))
                                                          Diamond Wales
                                                          Cara MiaKitty

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:10 pm
Lesson 1: Beedle the Bard

User Image

"It's interesting that you would say that, Mister Pemberton. That's not a far cry from what has happened in the past. During Voldemort's second rise to power, he managed to infiltrate the Ministry's ranks and install many of his own followers in positions of power. During this time, muggleborns were hunted down and called in for questioning, and accused of having stolen their wands, and therefore their ability to perform magic, from purebloods. I imagine it would've been rather nice, then, for a family with purist leanings to be able to say that their child wasn't non-magical, but rather that they had had their magic stolen from them. This, of course, is nonsense, since it takes more than a wand to perform magic, and stealing one from a wizard would not grant you the ability to do so.

And, yes, that's quite correct. Though it's difficult to prove, it has been theorized that if you trace the family tree of a muggleborn back far enough, you will find a connection to a magical family, often a person born without magic, who left the magical world and chose to assimilate to muggle society rather than live with the stigma. As for non-magical parents having magical children, it's actually fairly common. Sometimes these things can skip a generation, just like certain inherited traits can, such as being a Seer or a Metamorphmagus. Or, using a more mundane explanation, it's not uncommon for two brunette people to have a blonde child; it's not that they don't possess the genes for it themselves, the genes are just recessive."

Lesson Closed

OOC:

Homework: Write a short essay on Beedle and how public opinion of muggles during his lifetime may have led to controversy concerning his stories. Offer your opinion on the perspectives of both the Bard and his peers.

Homework for Lesson 1 should be turned into Professor Harlowe's Office before the end of Lesson 2.

15 total House Points awarded to Cathaline League of Hufflepuff House.
15 total House Points awarded to Elijah Pemberton of Ravenclaw House.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:25 pm
Lesson 2: The Fountain of Fair Fortune

User Image

Summary: Enclosed in a magical garden lays The Fountain of Fair Fortune, a magical fountain whose waters are believed to cure the aliment of any bathe in its waters. Three witches, suffering from poverty, illness and heartbreak, travel with an unfortunate knight to seek its blessing. As they travel, each witch faced a trial which helped her to overcome her woes, so that when they came across the fountain, each forsook the right to bathe in its waters, offering it instead to the knight.

Controversy: This tale has long been discounted and discredited by blood purists, who attack it for its depiction of romance between a witch and a muggle. Over the years, there have been many petitions started to have it removed from the library of Hogwarts and to cease its inclusion in publications of the Bard’s tales.

Homework: Write a short essay on the idea of the Fountain and why you think it worked, despite the fact that its waters held no true enchantment.

OOC:

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, your house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. This is waived if you are listed as absent, or your character is unable to attend lessons starting before the first meeting of the class.

Also! Due to the hacker attacking Gaia, this lesson was posted a day late! So, students will not be counted late until FRIDAY!

mc2
Cathaline League
Present: 1/5
Absent: 4/5

Diamond Wales
Elijah Pemberton
Present: 1/5
Absent: 4/5

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:27 pm
User Image

Dating Grayson Powell
                                                          xxxFEELINGxxx
                                                          Calm
                                                          xxxTHINKINGxxx

spaceAmata sat, perched as ever on her desk, and watched as her students came in and took their seats. She waited a moment for them to get situated and to take out their things before beginning the lecture. "Alright, class, today we'll be going over one of Beedle the Bard's most well-known and controversial stories, The Fountain of Fair Fortune. Hopefully you've all read the story; if not, you're going to be a bit behind. The summary is on the board, but it is just a summary, after all, and missing quite a bit of important information." She paused, curious to see if anyone scrambled for their book and tried to start reading now. Doing so would lose house points; she didn't appreciate students not doing the reading. After a moment, she spoke. "So, growing up, this was one of my favorite stories. It had trials and tribulations, characters with tragic backstories rising above their troubles, romance, and an ending meant to inspire. In spite of being by and large a positive story, it has often been attacked by certain subsets of the magical community. Can anyone guess why?" The answer to this one was simple; it was written on the board in black and white, after all. She waited to see if anyone would answer.

User Image

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:31 am
User Image

❀ Cathy ❀

❀
                                                          space

Cathy had found the story fascinating and loved the story. It was the type of thing all classic fairy tales (even muggle ones) had and most legends and old folk stories. It had trials, overcoming great odds, and even love at the end-though as it stated on the board the romance would have been (still is) a bit controversal. She took down a few notes and looked up and listened as Professor Harlowe admitted that it had been one of her favorite stories growing up. And then they were asked on the controversy and Cathy answered, "Was it partially one of your favorites since you shared a first name with one of the witches?" She said with a smile joking and then continued, "Seriously though the knight was a muggle-and not a particularly notable or talented muggle. By all means he sounded pretty poor in money and skill. Pure luck even put him on the path of the witches and the whole story stresses how inferior he felt towards the witches in the story, yet he made it through and the three witches were kind enough to support and urge him along on the journey-and he did help some, though it was the three witches that truly tackled the three trials. But in the end, the knight would get what some people would refer to as 'presumptuous'-he fell in love with one of the witches and offered his hand to her. She accepted it and found him the type of man worthy of her love-even if he was a muggle."

"Of course it never said what kind of man the Amata in the story, the woman the knight fell in love with, had her heart broken by before. He could have very well have been a muggle too," Cathy said with a shrug. "And, Amata wasn't loathe to the idea of loving a muggle, even romantically." Smiling she added, "But I reckon it would be far worse to get rid of the story and just have it in fragments because people would remember it as 'encouraging romance between a witch and a muggle' but there are three witches so if you don't read the story it would lose the fact that the witches worked to get what they needed and their bravery and the fact there are three witches and a muggle-I don't know, if I didn't know the story, and only that it was controversial about the love element in it-I'd reckon the taboo in at least our culture of say polygamous relationships might very well exist too."

"I think knowing the whole facts is better than half-because otherwise things could get even more distorted and sound even worse," Cathy said. "I mean, it would be stupid, for even the most adamant blood purist-and it isn't that hard to find them-to want to destroy that story then and even now. Besides, a little controversy just makes things all the better known. Infamy is still fame," she said with a smile.

❀

(( OOC))
                                                          Cara MiaKitty

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:57 pm
Lesson 2: The Fountain of Fair Fortune

User Image

"Not quite, but you're on the right track. My mother named me after the witch in the story because it was one of her favorites, and because she, like Amata, had fallen in love with and married a muggle man, one who was perhaps not particularly spectacular in the eyes of others, but who she saw greatness in. And they were very much in love. As for what sort of man the knight was, sometimes even those who are not great have a lot to offer the world. There are many people in this world who have nothing more to offer than kindness, or love, or devotion. And they might not be remembered for this, but these gifts are no less important because of that. I'm not sure 'luck' is the word for how he found himself on their journey. A better word might be fate. Even if you don't believe in such, it is just a story, after all.

But, yes, the romance between Amata and her muggle knight is the most often cited controversy in the tale (though, it should be noted that the fountain is said to contain no real magic at the end is equally so). The polygamous angle is... interesting, and could just show that all stories can be open to many interpretations. I do believe you're right, though; infamy is still fame. More to the point, infamy is the sort of fame that leads people to seek a thing out in rebellion of the status quo. By attempting to censor a story such as this, you're only making it more appealing to those who would have found it interesting in the first place."

Lesson Closed

OOC:

Homework: Write a short essay on the idea of the Fountain and why you think it worked, despite the fact that its waters held no true enchantment.

Homework for Lesson 2 should be turned into Professor Harlowe's Office before the end of Lesson 3.

20 total House Points awarded to Cathaline League of Hufflepuff House.

Third Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff