Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Age of Sigmar Discussion
The Empire Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 28 29 30 31 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Everlasting Chaos

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:31 pm
Lt. Brookman
So halberdiers would be a better choice then spearmen?

In my opinion they both suck. Halberdiers get +1 S and Spearmen fight in 2 ranks, but neither can use their shields in combat because their weapons take two hands. That's why I prefer Swordsmen and Militia. Militia get 2 attacks each by default, and are the cheapest of the Empire's units. Swordsmen get a 4+ save in combat thanks to their parry bonus.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:24 am
On a similar note, if I have handgunners lined up in two ranks, does that mean that both ranks can fire, or just the front rank? I've been studying like crazy trying to get all the fantasy rules in my head but I can't seem to find the answer to my question above.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Everlasting Chaos

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:47 pm
Lt. Brookman
On a similar note, if I have handgunners lined up in two ranks, does that mean that both ranks can fire, or just the front rank? I've been studying like crazy trying to get all the fantasy rules in my head but I can't seem to find the answer to my question above.

Wow, I can't believe you couldn't find the answer to that one. xd First row only, unless you're on a hill at which point the first two ranks can fire. Unless you're High Elf. I don't remember if they nerfed that rule or not, but last I heard their archers shot in 3 ranks on hills and 2 ranks normally.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:06 pm
Everlasting Chaos
Lt. Brookman

Wow, I can't believe you couldn't find the answer to that one. xd First row only, unless you're on a hill at which point the first two ranks can fire. Unless you're High Elf. I don't remember if they nerfed that rule or not, but last I heard their archers shot in 3 ranks on hills and 2 ranks normally.

So for the best effect it wold be viable to just put them in a single line. I'd think that they'd go in two ranks and just shoot over one anothers shoulder. confused  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Daemon_King

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:51 pm
Everlasting Chaos
Lt. Brookman

In my opinion they both suck. Halberdiers get +1 S and Spearmen fight in 2 ranks, but neither can use their shields in combat because their weapons take two hands. That's why I prefer Swordsmen and Militia. Militia get 2 attacks each by default, and are the cheapest of the Empire's units. Swordsmen get a 4+ save in combat thanks to their parry bonus.

That is incorrect sir, you can use sheilds in close combat.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:06 pm
Daemon_King
Everlasting Chaos
Lt. Brookman

That is incorrect sir, you can use sheilds in close combat.

Oh, why I'll be damned. Spears don't use 2 hands after all. Halberds still do though. Well Spearmen have now earned back my respect. xd  

Everlasting Chaos

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:47 pm
Spearmen it is then, means I wont be replacing their speartips with axe heads I have lying about.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:25 am
Lt. Brookman
Spearmen it is then, means I wont be replacing their speartips with axe heads I have lying about.

Though for the record I'd still highly recommend Swordsmen. 4+ save in combat! xd I'm just saying Spearmen are better than Halberdiers unless that +1 S is REALLY needed. (Though I've yet to come into a scenario where it is.)

Of course I could be wrong. The other day I was telling a staff member I was about to play that I find Musicians to be a waste of points. He was a Vampire player. Sure enough my Swordsmen tied combat against a large group of Skeletons, and the damn things had a Musician. I auto-fled and was run down. sweatdrop  

Everlasting Chaos

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:04 pm
Everlasting Chaos
Lt. Brookman

Though for the record I'd still highly recommend Swordsmen. 4+ save in combat! xd I'm just saying Spearmen are better than Halberdiers unless that +1 S is REALLY needed. (Though I've yet to come into a scenario where it is.)

Of course I could be wrong. The other day I was telling a staff member I was about to play that I find Musicians to be a waste of points. He was a Vampire player. Sure enough my Swordsmen tied combat against a large group of Skeletons, and the damn things had a Musician. I auto-fled and was run down. sweatdrop

The thing is, I have no swordsmen, I have spearmen that come with the soon to be retired fantasy boxed set. Either I paint them and add shields, turning them into spearmen, or I clip of the spear tips, replace them with axe heads and create halberdiers. But I'm settling on spearmen now.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:58 pm
Brookman, for an Empire Army I figured you would have a more artilery based.  

Daemon_King

Everlasting Chaos

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:55 pm
Daemon_King
Brookman, for an Empire Army I figured you would have a more artilery based.

And that my friend is why you would get your a** whooped by any GOOD Empire player. A good Empire army feeds off of that type of thinking, and uses it's kickass number of options to tear into you. xd I went against a Vampire Counts player the other day. He was expecting an artillary train and took tons of ethereals. I gave him a Wizard horde, complete with Dark Emissary. Tore a lovely... hole... or whatever... through those ethereals.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:18 pm
Well, all guns and no stabby things makes Mac look like an idiot wont he? I can shoot, but once the enemy comes a-knocking in my face I don't think that rifle butts and grapeshot can save me.

Believe me though, once I get my mind into it, a Helblaster volley gun and another cannon will be the most likened additions to the army though. But for them to work, I'll need me some buffer first!  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Everlasting Chaos

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:35 am
Lt. Brookman
Well, all guns and no stabby things makes Mac look like an idiot wont he? I can shoot, but once the enemy comes a-knocking in my face I don't think that rifle butts and grapeshot can save me.

Believe me though, once I get my mind into it, a Helblaster volley gun and another cannon will be the most likened additions to the army though. But for them to work, I'll need me some buffer first!

You want a buffer? Get a giant. Now that the Empire can use them they're my new best friend. xd I was playing a lizardman player the other day and I charged a unit of Saurus w/ Scar Vet with my Giant. The Giant did one wound to the Vet and ended up losing combat. He fell down (but didn't break, thankfully) and ended up falling straight forward right on top of the unit. Flattened the Vet and four other Saurus. xd Then again this guy didn't seem to be having a very good day. His other Vet charged into one of my mages and was killed. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:26 pm
Well, I haven't seen this guy's Empire army, but he said it was a shooty one. He's says it works, but I don't know the Empire can have a variety of army lists.  

Daemon_King

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:03 pm
Giants? Bah! I'm looking for a pure Empire army, I prefer it that way, a strong theme, that's how I play these days.  
Age of Sigmar Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 28 29 30 31 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff