Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
History of Magic III (1/5) *New Class 2/10* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:24 am
User Image

David Sinclair League
[Ravenclaw]

User Image

Wand: Supple and Smooth//11 3/4 inches//Hawthorne//Fairy Hair
Current Age: 13
Blood: The son of a squib and witch from pureblood families
Year at Hogwarts: Third Year
Wearing: Ravenclaw Robes

I think I gave the question to much thought... oh well. I don't see how my answer could come off bad, at least.

David sat in his usual place, twirling his quill in his hand, only occasionally making an extra note on what he had already compiled from the book. Generally magical beasts of any sort didn't interest him. He knew of many but it wasn't something he spent much time on studying. He wasn't in Care of Magical Creatures and had only read the famous Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander once from the library.

He wondered how Professor Powell had so much excitement about a fairly dull subject but then he proposed a question on what their favorite magical creature is and what you would study given a chance. He set down his quill and said, "I honestly don't have what you would define as a favorite magical creature but I do think more research should be done on the healing properties of pheonixes. However, when it comes down to it, I think it would be most rewarding to study the infection that causes lycanthropy which results in humans becoming werewolves and work to find a true cure for the condition. Most people don't want to be a werewolf after all and it would give people a better option than depending on wolfsbane all their lives."

He paused and glanced away with a small frown. He supposed he had given Professor Dechering's mention of finding a cure more thought than he had realized, but the idea to be able to offer a cure to something that was a problem like lycanthropy seemed noble enough, his name would go down in history, and of course he could help quite a few people that way. It was an overall win.
User Image
Pet: Annabella

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:08 am
~Beginning of a New Year~

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:10 am
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

Hɪsᴛᴏʀʏ ᴏғ Mᴀɢɪᴄ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Sᴛᴜᴅʏ ᴏғ Aɴᴄɪᴇɴᴛ Rᴜɴᴇs

════════════════════════

Grayson lowered his book as students started to enter the class. He looked over them all, curious as to how they would take the class. On one hand, there were those that found the class to be quite boring, and on the other hand, there were those that found, like himself, that history was full of intrigue, if they looked through it properly. At least that was how he viewed it. More than likely, the majority would find this class boring and move on, but he hoped that there were a few that he'd be able spark a bit of interest in the subject.

He stood, placing the book he'd been reading down.
                                            "Hello class, and welcome back to History of Magic. As you all have had an entire summer to empty your heads of all that you may have learned over the last year, as well as give me a good chance to refresh your knowledge, today we will review what you have learned in the subject over the last year, before we go on to this year's topics. Please answer one at a time, and only cover one topic. That way, we can hopefully get everyone's participation in the class."

════════════════════════
                                            Location: History of Magic Classroom
                                            Thinking: Fresh new year!
                                            OOC:

Now where did I put that wand?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:50 pm
User Image

User ImageUser Image Location: History : Wednesday (9:00am to 9:45am)

Alice and Jasper headed to their first class on a Wednesday. Walking into history Alice usually wasn’t overly happy to be going but for once she didn’t seemed bothered. Jasper was surprised but didn’t say anything about it. Taking their seats it looked like they would be doing nothing but review. Fine by Jasper since he remembered most of the topics covered. Looking to Alice he could tell she wasn’t happy about that bit. She was never good at remembering what they learned the year before.

“We learned about the deathly hollows.” Alice chimed in. She needed to get her topic out before anyone else stole it. Jasper smiled before raising his hand. “We talked about the Ollivander family and how Mr. Ollivander could remember every wand he ever sold.” He added after Alice. He might be quiet but dumb he certainly was not.

Wearing: Hufflepuff Uniform

With: Each other
OOC: ---  

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

stitchkin babe

Timid Genius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:52 pm
x
x
x
x

User Image

x
                                    ████████████████xx ℓεxιηε vαηcε xx███████xxxxthe worst failure is the failure to try.

Third Year | | Thirteen | | Ravenclaw | | Single | | Half-Blood | | Reserve Seeker

Lexine walked into the History of Magic classroom and sat quietly, nearing Alice and Jasper. Sure, they hadn't talked much over the last year or so, but that didn't mean she felt and less safe around them. After all, the only other person she ever felt safe around was Inigo, and he didn't seem to be here quite yet. She nodded and smiled a small greeting to them before class started.

Once again they were going over what they'd learned last year. Lexine listened as Alice and Jasper talked of the Deathly Hallows and the Ollivander family. Lexine was going to speak up, after all their final lesson had been one of her favourites, but she refrained from speaking.

uniform x ooc :: - - -

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:29 pm
You were my conscience, so solid, now you're like water
xxxAnd we started drowning, not like we'd sink any further[
xxxxxBut I let my heart go, it's somewhere down at the bottom
xxxxxxxxBut I'll get a new one and come back for the hope that you've stolen

User Image

♯♩♪♫♬♭♮Rory groaned when she realized that History was her first stop on her late day but still managed to trudge herself to the classroom, late but still there, and took her seat in the back. Of course the first thing out his mouth was a question of what they learned last year and immediately the creepy twins from Hufflepuff were the first to answer. She didn't really know them so she felt sort of bad calling the creepy but she couldn't help it! They were always together, holding hands, the boy, Jasper was it?, never seemed to want to leave the girl's side, it was weird! She thought perhaps it was a twin thing but Dori was part of triplets and could barely manage to stand his brothers let alone stay with them all the time, if what she heard from Julius about their summer was true. Either way, she didn't know them, didn't know their story, and shouldn't judge. She could still think it though. Rory never raised her hand to answer, if anything she lowered herself into her seat and only pulled out a piece of paper to doodle out what she wanted the cover of her first album to be. For some reason butterflies kept coming to mind. ♯♩♪♫♬♭♮
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wearing
Where~History classroom
Who~Class
Nope, not here, nopenopenope

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

xxxxxxxI'll stop the whole world, I'll stop the whole world
xxxxxFrom turning into a monster eating us alive
xxxDon't you ever wonder how we survive?
Well now that you're gone, the world is ours

EmrysStorm

Mind-boggling Celebrator

1,600 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:18 pm
User Image
Julius is...spacespacespacespace
CURRENTLY // wearing his uniform
CURRENTLY // single
CURRENTLY WITH // History of Magic III
CURRENTLY FEELING // half bored
CURRENTLY THINKING // Looks like everything was covered more or less.
spacespac
═════════════════════════════════════════════════

space Julius had taken a seat near the back and found himself zoning out flipping though his History of Magic textbook once Professor Powell mentioned the words review. He knew it was probably going to be a boring class. History tended to be a bit boring on occasion, even if it was History of Magic, which was far more interesting than muggle history in Julius opinion. However, review on history still seemed fairly boring to him.

He had found a puzzle book in his bag and pulled it out and was working a suduko puzzle as he half listened to his classmates offer a quick mention of topics they went over the year before. After the Lancaster twins who seemed to be one entity went the classroom fell silent. As he wondered how twins could be so close-since he was a part of identical triplets and Dori, Tyson, and he were fairly different in personalities and definitely didn't mind having some space from each other occasionally. With a sigh he raised his hand and offered from the back, "We also went over Beedle the Bard, and he was the one who recorded the story about the Deathly Hallows and recorded some other stories I guess that generally are fairly well known."

(( OOC: ....))

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:42 pm
User ImageUser Image

ᴛᴛɪʀᴇ ﹕﹕ [x]
                                                  ᴀᴍs ﹕﹕ [x]
                                                  ᴏᴏᴅ ﹕﹕ Confused
                                                  ᴏᴄᴀᴛɪᴏɴ ﹕﹕ History Class
                                                  ᴏᴍᴘᴀɴɪᴏɴs ﹕﹕ Classmates
                                                  ʜᴏᴜɢʜᴛs ﹕﹕ 'Where am I...?'

Coloring in a line at the top of his notebook, Yannic had hardly heard what the professor was saying to them, what with his mind scattered to all the four corners of the world. Of course, every once in a while the boy would raise his head from his work, but he dared not make eye contact with Professor Powell – Yannic was simply more interested in seeing whether or not he filled in that tiny, microscopic white spit along the line that he was trying to fill in. When it had finally come time for him to speak up, it took the gentle nudge of a student to draw him out of the trance-like artist’s state. Looking dumbly at Professor Powell, Yannic opened his mouth. ”D'uhh………” Was all he could manage, before clearing his throat and setting his pencil down. ”We learned a lot of things, the…” ’What class is this again…’

Looking around the classroom, Yannic scrambled for a clue, an answer, anything. All he could see were books… lots of books. It had to be History. That was what Professor Powell taught, right? Or was it something else? What time was it, even? Cussing in his mind, Yannic planted his elbow on the desk and leaned his face on the palm of his hand. ”We learned about… really important things, fascinating, really. Too much for me to recall with my tiny brain, but you’re a delightful professor, sir.” That was good enough, right? Hopefully...? Yannic averted his eyes, turning back to his empty notebook with a light blush on his face.

(( OOC ;; ... ))

Quote:

Forks Anonymous

Newbie Noob

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:43 pm
Ever since I was eight or nine
I've been standing on the shoreline
Always waiting
For something lasting
Lose your hunger, you lose your way
Get confused and you fade away
This town kills you when you are young
I'm not the boy I used to be

User Image
Eleazar Draven Bradley
- Unknown Blood - Ravenclaw - Third Year -
[feeling: grateful] [thinking: at least I didn't have to speak up...] [with: Third Years] [at: History of Magic]

Eleazar sat still and quiet as his classmates recounted all their past topics from the year before. He didn't even need to speak up, which he was grateful for. His voice tended to shake or crack or just fade out, and he was sick of always clearing his throat every few seconds. It made people stare even more.

People don't get better. They just get smarter.

This town has got the youth of me
All eyes turn hollow
From the work of sorrow
Standing on the paving
By the office building
They've got so much to do
Never time for you
We are shadows

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:37 pm
User Image

User Image

════════════════════════

Hɪsᴛᴏʀʏ ᴏғ Mᴀɢɪᴄ || Rᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ Pʀᴏғᴇssᴏʀ || Sᴛᴜᴅʏ ᴏғ Aɴᴄɪᴇɴᴛ Rᴜɴᴇs

════════════════════════

Grayson walked into the classroom, looked around to see that everything was ready, and picked up a piece of chalk. He wrote on the chalkboard, and when finished, turned to regard the class as a whole.

Professor Powell
                                            Muggle Witch Burnings

"Hello class. Last time, we went over the subjects you studied last year to refresh any knowledge you may have lost over the summer. Today, we are going to go ahead and study the witch burnings of the 1600's.

"Now, as you are very well aware, muggles nowadays don't know about the wizarding world, due to either ignoring magic when they see it or passing it off as merely fantasy for children. However, that was not always the case. The International Statute of Secrecy was only enacted relatively recently within the last several centuries, which of course hides magic from the rest of the world.

"However, wizards and muggles did coexist at some point. For the greater bit of history, they worked together. However, at some point muggles began to distrust wizards, and some even began to fear them. It culminated into the infamous witch burnings that basically ran like wildfire across the world.

"The witch burnings weren't specific in who they targeted. Mostly, they actually persecuted other muggles who they believed to be a witch. Unfortunately, that wasn't always the case. Many of the witches and wizards they grabbed were muggleborn, and they were unfortunate in that most of the time when they were captured, it was due to uncontrollable acts of random magic they had performed.

"Contrary to the name, burning wasn't the only way they got rid of witches. Stoning, throwing them off cliffs, and even drownings were also considered to be acceptable ways to get rid of witches. Most witches and wizards who were caught actually didn't die, as they were able to cast some form of magic to get them out of the situation. One witch in particular found it quite fun to get caught. Wendolyn the Weird actually was caught a grand total of forty-seven times, mostly in different guises, because she found that the tickling sensation of casting a fire-freezing charm was actually enjoyable."

He sat at the edge of his desk as he regarded the class with a bit of a grin. "As I'm sure you have questions, please feel free to ask them, or if you wish to discuss it, that's perfectly fine too."

════════════════════════
                                            Location: History of Magic Classroom
                                            Thinking: ...
                                            OOC:

Now where did I put that wand?

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

stitchkin babe

Timid Genius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:03 am
x
x
x
x

User Image

x
                                    ████████████████xx ℓεxιηε vαηcε xx███████xxxxthe worst failure is the failure to try.

Third Year | | Thirteen | | Ravenclaw | | Single | | Half-Blood | | Reserve Seeker

When Lexine walked into class and looked to the board, she was almost surprised to see 'Muggle Witch Burnings' written in white chalk. She sat quietly curious as to what they were. She'd never really heard of muggles burning witches before, therefore she was rather interested as to why it happened in the first place. Didn't muggles not know anything about witches and wizards?

Lessons started, and Lexine paid very close attention, not having read this lesson before starting class. She furrowed her eyebrows when Professor Powell said muggles distrusted wizards when they had known about them. She tilted her head as she soaked in everything he was saying. Burning, stoning, drownings, throwing them off cliffs? That's crazy...

Professor Powell asked then asked for questions as he finished up the lesson. Lexine sat quietly in her seat, then looked around carefully to see if anyone had anything to say.

uniform x ooc :: - - -

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:09 pm
User Image

User ImageUser Image Location: History : Wednesday (9:00am to 9:45am)

Alice and Jasper walked into History and took their usual spots. The two really never seemed to care about how others saw them. Sure everyone thought they were twins and that it was creepy for them to always be so close holding hands and stuff but that didn’t matter. Jasper was glad Alice didn’t seem to mind about that sort of thing because sometimes he really thought she did.

Looking over at Jasper, Alice smiled just to let him know everything was okay. He always seemed to need that added bit of reassurance and it always did help him through the day. As class began the two took notes and it wasn’t until Professor Powell mentioned one witch continuously wanted to get burned because of the enjoyment that Alice couldn’t help but spout out her thoughts. “Why would anyone want to do something like that?!” she cried out in surprise. “Sorry…” she apologized realizing she spoke up in the middle of the lecture.

Secretly Jasper hoped they didn’t lose house points because of that. It wasn’t like Alice was really doing anything wrong and she did apologize. “Professor…” Jasper said quietly at the end of the lecture as he raised his hand. “When did the Statute of Secrecy come into affect exactly?” he asked. ”Wouldn’t we be hiding with all the death threats? How would you get out of being caught without making it obvious you didn’t die?” Alice asked after Jasper. She kind of wondered why he even would want to know about when things came into effect.

With: Each other
OOC: ---  

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:53 pm
Ever since I was eight or nine
I've been standing on the shoreline
Always waiting
For something lasting
Lose your hunger, you lose your way
Get confused and you fade away
This town kills you when you are young
I'm not the boy I used to be

User Image
Eleazar Draven Bradley
- Unknown Blood - Ravenclaw - Third Year -
[feeling: calm] [thinking: ...] [with: Third Years] [at: History of Magic]

Well, anyone with half a brain would fear someone who could kill you with two words. But maybe Eleazar was just playing devil's advocate here. Still, people were people, and that didn't mean everyone with magic had been some kindly old witch brewing helpful potions. There were always going to be just as many people who abused their powers and the advantage it gave them over muggles, just like there would always be muggles who hated anything they wanted but couldn't have. Was it bad that he didn't feel more sympathy for people who'd been dead for ages and ages? It sounded like not everyone the muggles had thought they killed had actually died, anyways.

People don't get better. They just get smarter.

This town has got the youth of me
All eyes turn hollow
From the work of sorrow
Standing on the paving
By the office building
They've got so much to do
Never time for you
We are shadows

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:41 pm
User Image
Julius is...spacespacespacespace
CURRENTLY // wearing his uniform
CURRENTLY // single
CURRENTLY WITH // History of Magic III
CURRENTLY FEELING // somewhat interested
CURRENTLY THINKING // So if a muggleborn isn't trained in magic than he isn't a wizard? Or is it only if they don't know they can actually do magic?
spacespac

space Julius always had this theory that history could be made only so interesting, though Professor Powell did a decent job at trying to engage his class and keep them interested, which Julius appreciated. History was one of those subjects that seemed very, very easy to make dry and absolutely, dreadfully boring. Thankfully their professor wasn't inclined to think that way, because Julius was fairly sure he couldn't survive the class if Professor Powell didn't put as much effort as he did in his classes.

When the subject of Muggle Witch Burnings were introduced Julius began to take notes, somewhat disturbed that the magical community didn't seem nearly as concerned about trying to end witch burnings and protect those who weren't absolutely bizarre and wanted to be caught to, what Julius supposed, was have fun and play some sick bizarre game of being caught and pulling off some elaborate ruse to pretend to be burned. People like that probably made it worse for the people who couldn't just do a fire-freezing charm like Wendolyn the Weird could. Julius was fairly sure 'the Weird' was probably added after the first half dozen times Wendolyn got "caught" as a witch. No parent or person in their right mind would give themselves that title-then again, Wendolyn didn't seem like a normal type of person.

mc2

Shameless Sex Symbol

21,090 Points
  • Deal Me In 50
  • Married 100
  • Person of Interest 200

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100