Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Pagan name? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Maze

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:55 pm
CuAnnan
Maze
If you're trying to be accommodating because I'm stupid, I'd rather you just tell me. It doesn't matter if you're coarse at me, since I trained my ego to default to 'x is having a bad day, so it's okay. It's probably not my fault.'

If you're trying to be accommodating because they're stupid, then it's okay either way, I guess.

Oh gods, no.
It's that they're ignorant (in the lack of knowledge sense).
It's uninformed non-wilful ignorance. I don't much care. It's a pet peeve.

Aah, okay. *nods* I wasn't sure so I figured I'd check.

Oh, well. If nothing else, I'll try and remember the correct way to spell it. 3nodding Thanks for the information.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:49 pm
I have a question that might be stupid. What, exactly, is the point of pagan names? I've heard people taking them, but I've never happened to ask what's the reason. Could someone clarify this thing for me?  

Arrowlake Riddler

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:13 pm
Arrowlake Riddler
I have a question that might be stupid. What, exactly, is the point of pagan names? I've heard people taking them, but I've never happened to ask what's the reason. Could someone clarify this thing for me?
Depends on the tradition.
Within Wica, there's something to be said about the secrecy and protecting people's identity, though there's likely more to it than that.

Other magical traditions have people named as a phonetic/alphabetic sigil.

Still other traditions use names to draw elements of the meaning into the person via sympathy.

The justifications are too many to count, but I think those are amongst the most common... save for "because it sounds cool!" ~shudder~  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:28 pm
Oh, that clears it up. Thanks!  

Arrowlake Riddler

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:14 am
Arrowlake Riddler
Oh, that clears it up. Thanks!
Welcome.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:18 pm
Arrowlake Riddler

Mine is symbolic for my nature, at least in how I've gained insight into it, but the origin was odd (whispered in my ear when no one was around - yay auditory hallucinations!).

My other names are also symbolic of my nature, both my offline name and my online one.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:28 pm
Deoridhe

Mine is symbolic for my nature, at least in how I've gained insight into it, but the origin was odd (whispered in my ear when no one was around - yay auditory hallucinations!).
I feel kinda the same about mine. I hated my name growing up- but now I understand it, I love it.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:56 pm
TeaDidikai
Arrowlake Riddler
Depends on the tradition.
Within Wica, there's something to be said about the secrecy and protecting people's identity, though there's likely more to it than that.

Other magical traditions have people named as a phonetic/alphabetic sigil.

Still other traditions use names to draw elements of the meaning into the person via sympathy.

The justifications are too many to count, but I think those are amongst the most common... save for "because it sounds cool!" ~shudder~

Why is choosing a pagan name on the basis of it sounding cool shudder worthy?  

Aino Ailill

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:09 pm
Aino Ailill

It's an entirely surface response to something - doing a thing in order to impress others without any attention for deeper implications, or even awareness that picking up a name implies deeper things about a person.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:27 pm
Aino Ailill

Short answer- what Deo said.

But to elaborate, it also undermines the overall goal that such actions are often designed to accomplish, to say nothing of the internal contradictions such actions can produce.  

TeaDidikai

Aino Ailill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:31 pm
Deoridhe
Aino Ailill

It's an entirely surface response to something - doing a thing in order to impress others without any attention for deeper implications, or even awareness that picking up a name implies deeper things about a person.

What is the issue with a surface response? Is there also an issue with dressing or painting (make-up) one's self in order to look attractive?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:34 pm
TeaDidikai
Aino Ailill

Short answer- what Deo said.

But to elaborate, it also undermines the overall goal that such actions are often designed to accomplish,

Perhaps I am unaware of this goal then. I had assumed pagan that, when one is choosing a pagan name, it would be primarily to create a separate identity, apart from the mundane. I hadn't possessed any basis for this thought.

Quote:
to say nothing of the internal contradictions such actions can produce.

Such as?  

Aino Ailill

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:23 am
Aino Ailill
Perhaps I am unaware of this goal then. I had assumed pagan that, when one is choosing a pagan name, it would be primarily to create a separate identity, apart from the mundane. I hadn't possessed any basis for this thought.

A vast number of individuals who seek out paganism are in the process of developing personal autonomy.

This is part of what spawned the "Overweight Goth Twitch" stereotype.

Without actually developing through critical self examination true autonomy, there isn't a point to fluffing up a lack of affirmed personal understanding with misrepresentations of other concepts and traditions as education will undermine the intent when confronted by people who actually understand the traditions that are being misrepresented.

Quote:
Such as?

Such as later contextual understandings of the names given.

One of my favorites was the woman who adopted Freya as part of her name because she wanted to spice up her sex life to keep her husband happy.

He ended up going out for work and not coming home.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:22 pm
I have not yet found my Pagan/Craft name. I've been told the best way to find it is to look inside you're self though meditation which is something I've been doing.
I don't try to over croud my mind though as I know that will get me no where.  

redtearsblackwings

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:24 pm
redtearsblackwings
I have not yet found my Pagan/Craft name. I've been told the best way to find it is to look inside you're self though meditation which is something I've been doing.
I don't try to over croud my mind though as I know that will get me no where.
The Wica, from my understanding, are named. They don't pick their own names as I recall.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff