Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:10 pm
Gay marriage? Eh. ;;
Same-sex partnerships and tax breaks? Oh heck yes. ;D
(...that'd save me a bunch in college...)

Btw: marriage has always been a legality issue, not romantic.
Read the Bible.
Women are referred to as property to be traded between families.
Hence, why women were pressured to stay virgins before marriage.
Young virgin woman + man=big family, more sons to carry on the farm.
(surname and business now.)
Man + man or woman + woman = no big family, no sons.
Obviously, gay marriage doesn't equivocate to a fair exchange between families.

Hardly romantical. But at the time it was written, it was logical.

(Bible-thumpin'. Is it right? I won't say either way.)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:40 pm
flauterfli
Gay marriage? Eh. ;;

A "separate but equal" system for same-sex marriages would be fantastic if we hadn't proven in the past that "separate but equal" doesn't work.

flauterfli
Read the Bible.

Except that there are some people who are infertile or childfree. If the purpose of marriage is to raise a family, we should be checking every couple to make sure that they're fertile and plan to have kids. If not, no marriage certificate. I'm also curious about how adoption and IVF play into this, especially since the latter can potentially be used for a same-sex couple to have children.

Not to mention, back then the definition of marriage included polygamy.
I'm also wary of going by any argument that includes classifying women as property. =/  

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200

flauterfli

Gekko

3,700 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:21 am
Zephyrkitty
flauterfli
Gay marriage? Eh. ;;

A "separate but equal" system for same-sex marriages would be fantastic if we hadn't proven in the past that "separate but equal" doesn't work.

flauterfli
Read the Bible.

Except that there are some people who are infertile or childfree. If the purpose of marriage is to raise a family, we should be checking every couple to make sure that they're fertile and plan to have kids. If not, no marriage certificate. I'm also curious about how adoption and IVF play into this, especially since the latter can potentially be used for a same-sex couple to have children.

Not to mention, back then the definition of marriage included polygamy.
I'm also wary of going by any argument that includes classifying women as property. =/

First paragraph: sarcasm.

Second: not my opinion.
Meant to point out the idiocy of defining "traditional" marriage as the basis of which we should outline the modern marriage laws.
Traditionally; women would have no say in whom they marry, domestic violence was considered beneficial, the essential purpose of marriage was to produce male heirs to carry on the family name, and, yes, polygamy was particularly encouraged if the first wife proved to be infertile.

The arguement: "gay marriage will break apart the traditional married family."
The marriage laws in place now would be considered uber liberal in truly traditional terms.

Modern times call for a revamp in traditional marriages.
I have other reasons to not entirely support gay marriage
(though you will never see me protesting against it)
but ultra-conservatives need to hit the books before claiming that same-sex marriage will alter traditional values, which have been altering hundreds and hundreds of times since the Old Testament defined Christian marriages. (the New Testament, however, redefined a good majority of that.)  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:16 pm
User Image

nay. when former slaves said 'i do', they weren't getting 'black married' or 'freedom married', they were getting married. when Richard Loving and Mildred Jeter (they were the interracial couple that made preventing interracial couples from getting married illegal) took their vows, they weren't getting 'interracial married', they were getting married. so, if i want to marry a girl, i don't want to get 'gay married', i want to get married.

Cold Oktober

minihost2

Desirable Lunatic

8,550 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:19 pm
Cold Oktober
User Image

nay. when former slaves said 'i do', they weren't getting 'black married' or 'freedom married', they were getting married. when Richard Loving and Mildred Jeter (they were the interracial couple that made preventing interracial couples from getting married illegal) took their vows, they weren't getting 'interracial married', they were getting married. so, if i want to marry a girl, i don't want to get 'gay married', i want to get married.

I agree!
Oh and By the way, I really don't care about what the bible says. I would totally marry a girl and if the church does not like it then...I don't care. You do not have to get married in a church you can get married anywhere. I went to my uncles friend's marriage (guy+guy) they both wore tuxs and there was no priest, instead it was one of their fathers bonding them together.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:53 am
HEY, WAAAAAAAIT !! ..

i'm talkin' :

~> Yay.
~> if boy+girl can get married, why boy+boy or girl+girl can't ?
~> if they love eachother why not ?
~> gay ppl, have the same rights that EVERYONE, just because he/she likes someone of the same gender they are different ? Maybe to them, we are the freaks. " we think: ughh, girl and girl ? Disgusting ! " They think: " boy+girl ? who the hell has got that idea ? i can't imagine me with xxxxx ( someone of the oposite sex) ! "

NOW, YOU CAN TALK wink

- Nanokax -

Desirable Genius

8,375 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • NPCon Attendee 100

Short Melancholic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:18 am
Nay  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:39 am
I'm an athiest, straight, and I am all for marriage between same sex couples. I think trying to put laws on "gay" marriage is a violation of privacy and religious freedom. I made an entire speech about it in my public speaking class. I just can't stand how people think that just because a guy likes guys or a woman likes other women, they can't have the same opinions and freedoms that other couples do. It's not like you can choose to be straight or gay.  

BarnOwl6-5

Unbeatable Pirate

9,825 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Ultimate Player 200

MadamoiselleMorganne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:25 am
B-b-b-b-b-but gay marriage will break down the moral fibers of our society! gonk

Then we remember that we left England to figure out our own morals, and allow everyone to be free.

Gay marriage should not even be an issue that the government is looking at. What we need to do is tell the government that we do not want them to recognize any marriage, period. It should not be for the government to decide if people can get married or not. Let's make marriage about a promise being made between three beings: spouse, spouse, creator. I see no room for government in that group; I see no place for government in the personal lives of people. Marriage has become this disgusting game that people play to gain benefits from the government rather than making a genuine promise to love someone for the rest of their life. We can change that, but not by allowing government to divide us with a power it should not have.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:37 am
Nay!!

jesusgirl115

Dangerous Friend

8,050 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300

MadamoiselleMorganne

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:53 am
Short Melancholic
Nay

jesusgirl115
Nay!!

Would either of you lovely ladies care to share why you are against it? There is no hate here, so I do not think you have to worry about people yelling at you for your beliefs, and I think we are all open to hearing the reasoning of others.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:01 am
I say yes to gay marriage but that's just my opinion.  

holywarriorprincess11

Familiar Phantom

6,900 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Citizen 200

jesusgirl115

Dangerous Friend

8,050 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:07 am
MadamoiselleMorganne

Would either of you lovely ladies care to share why you are against it? There is no hate here, so I do not think you have to worry about people yelling at you for your beliefs, and I think we are all open to hearing the reasoning of others.

I am completely and totally against it for 1 reason.

It strongly goes against everything the Bible says-

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 - "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable..."

Leviticus 18:22 - "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable."

Romans 1:26-27 - "Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

I have had personal experience with homosexual family members. It breaks my heart, but the only thing I can do is love them for who they are and share my love for Christ Jesus.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:13 am
jesusgirl115
MadamoiselleMorganne

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 - "Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable..."

Leviticus 18:22 - "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable."

Romans 1:26-27 - "Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion."

I have had personal experience with homosexual family members. It breaks my heart, but the only thing I can do is love them for who they are and share my love for Christ Jesus.

I am impressed that you cited the new testament as well, not many people cite anything other than Leviticus. I agree with you. Homosexuality is a sin according to the bible. As a Catholic I completely agree on that front.

I also believe though, that we are given freedom of choice by God to decide how we run our lives. Why would it be okay for a government to take away your free will that was given by God?
Also, there are many churches who interpret these passages differently. Is it really up to several branches to decide how/to who every branch of Christianity administers their sacraments?  

MadamoiselleMorganne

jesusgirl115

Dangerous Friend

8,050 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Partygoer 500
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:32 am
MadamoiselleMorganne
jesusgirl115
MadamoiselleMorganne

I am impressed that you cited the new testament as well, not many people cite anything other than Leviticus. I agree with you. Homosexuality is a sin according to the bible. As a Catholic I completely agree on that front.

I also believe though, that we are given freedom of choice by God to decide how we run our lives. Why would it be okay for a government to take away your free will that was given by God?
Also, there are many churches who interpret these passages differently. Is it really up to several branches to decide how/to who every branch of Christianity administers their sacraments?

I agree with you on the point that God has given us freedom of choice. But we know from reading the Bible that gay marriage is not okay with God. At all.
Maybe what the government is doing is for our good? Maybe they are removing the temptation of being homosexual by making it illegal?

Whatever the reason we can except it as God's will and pray that He will work in our leader's lives...

I also think that it is up to you personally to interpret theses passages as they apply to your life. You should be praying and seeking God with your own heart. Ask Him. Just ask. Say 'Lord, I am so confused about this issue. I don't know what to believe. Guide and direct my heart Lord, God. Show me what is right and honoring to you.'

God is here. He is right here with you. Pray. Take the time to pray and listen for God's answer...trust Him. He loves you and would like nothing more then you sitting down and talking to Him. He will show you. Whether it is a small whisper or a drastic change in the government...

20. ✿ - - - Debating

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff