Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:32 pm
maenad nuri
PrincessSaraQueen
I can answer the second part of your post, Toasty. The Greeks came first, and the Romans basically copied and pasted all the deities from their pantheon, but changed the names. Zeus became Juipeter, Hermes became Mercury, and Aphrodiete (sp?) became Venus.

That's about it...they took a lot of other beliefs from the Greeks too...learned that in history class. xd

Kindof. The Romans had their own pre-existing pantheon, and a different outlook on the gods and how you behaved with them. They didn't so much copy paste as merge and entangle. Sometimes very poorly (Ares and Mars, anyone?) others were far more direct.

From what I know, the Etruscan pantheon is open. However I have zero sources beyond wiki on it.
I think Puhvel mentions it offhand in his Comparative Religion.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:37 pm
Toasty Marshmallow
does anybody know if the etruscan pantheon is closed?
Do you subscribe to the Hellenic or Italic foundation of Rome?  

TeaDidikai

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:24 pm
Tosty? Are you looking to devote to Tin?
How much do you know about votive offerings?  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:57 pm
I'm glad this thread exists.

So I read The Odyssey, Theogony, The Iliad and Sapphos' poetry. Somebody recommended for me to get the Homeric Hymns...so, does anybody have any other suggestions in particular? I'm reading a book called The Greek Way and the a book called Hellenic History, but I was just curious if anybody had any suggestions that they found helpful or interesting in regard to Hellenic paganism...

Thanks.  

Bjornhona

Dapper Swapper

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:16 pm
Leaf Worship

So I read The Odyssey, Theogony, The Iliad and Sapphos' poetry. Somebody recommended for me to get the Homeric Hymns...so, does anybody have any other suggestions in particular? I'm reading a book called The Greek Way and the a book called Hellenic History, but I was just curious if anybody had any suggestions that they found helpful or interesting in regard to Hellenic paganism...

Thanks.

Orphic Hymns, for a bit of change of pace. Burkerts Greek Religion, Greek Folk Religion (one of my favorites).

And if you are looking for a modern Hellenic how-to or devotionals, I've got a few suggestions as well.  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:30 pm
maenad nuri
Leaf Worship

Thanks.

Orphic Hymns, for a bit of change of pace. Burkerts Greek Religion, Greek Folk Religion (one of my favorites).

And if you are looking for a modern Hellenic how-to or devotionals, I've got a few suggestions as well.

Actually, the how-tos would be great to know about. I can be a pretty voracious reader, so I appreciate it, I'll make a list.  

Bjornhona

Dapper Swapper

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:48 pm
Leaf Worship
maenad nuri
Leaf Worship

Thanks.

Actually, the how-tos would be great to know about. I can be a pretty voracious reader, so I appreciate it, I'll make a list.

Kharis: Hellenic Polytheism Explored Is my favorite.

If you can get your hands on it, Old Stones New Temples was the first. Hellenion has the copywrite and claims they are working a new version. They've been working on it for awhile. It's rife with UPG.

I do not reccomend TJ Alexander's books. I haven't read them, so that's part of the reason, but mostly because he's an a**.  
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:57 pm
maenad nuri
Leaf Worship
maenad nuri
Leaf Worship

Thanks.

Kharis: Hellenic Polytheism Explored Is my favorite.

If you can get your hands on it, Old Stones New Temples was the first. Hellenion has the copywrite and claims they are working a new version. They've been working on it for awhile. It's rife with UPG.

I do not reccomend TJ Alexander's books. I haven't read them, so that's part of the reason, but mostly because he's an a**.

Thanks very much for your help, I appreciate it. I'll go ahead and check into them. I'm very excited! I've been trying to find stuff online for examples of modern approaches to ritual and worship in general, so getting ahold of a book will be amazing.  

Bjornhona

Dapper Swapper

aoijea23487

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:20 pm
TeaDidikai
Tosty? Are you looking to devote to Tin?
How much do you know about votive offerings?

I have this uh, mental thing. I'm prone to lots and lots of daydreaming, and I mean LOTS. This is going to sound sad on a mental-health level, but there is a race of people in my little dreamland that I decided to call Etruscans. A few years later, lo and behold, real human people were also called Etruscans, and the history of the humans and my imaginations are weirdly similar.

So I thought I'd look into Etruscans and their deities, but didn't want to contact any if it was closed. I've felt kind of drawn to Ares for some unknown reason, and Shiva has been everywhere, but every time I read up on them I get turned off. I'm thinking that whatever is trying to reach me is trying to reach me through deities that I know something about, if whatever is attempting to reach me at all. I was interested in the war god Laran, specifically.

Votive offerings? As in candles? Do tell.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:00 pm
Doesn't sound that odd to me at all.

Toasty Marshmallow
Votive offerings? As in candles? Do tell.
The candles take their name from the practice.

Basically a votive offering is a ritualistic gift to the gods.  

TeaDidikai

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:43 am
So, I asked this in Deo's pathway thread but I thought I'd ask here too.

This came up in a conversation I had with my husband and some friends of ours last night. Is there anything that suggests one way or another that someone would need to be Asatur or at least honor the Aseir to be picked by Odin or Freya? Considering that they died in battle?

It's an odd question. But I'm really interested and so is my husband.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:33 am
Shearaha
Is there anything that suggests one way or another that someone would need to be Asatur or at least honor the Aseir to be picked by Odin or Freya? Considering that they died in battle?

It's an odd question. But I'm really interested and so is my husband.
There is nothing in the source texts, historical tradition or the like that I am aware of to suggest this.

That is to say, there is a lack of commentary on the matter as best I can recall.  

TeaDidikai

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:39 am
That's what I thought. Oh well, it was worth asking anyway.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:30 pm
Alright! I might have found a home in this thread, being new and unaware of most everything!

What does the term "fluffy" mean?

Does mugwart really make you dream more if you bathe in it?

Is white sage important? Are herbs in general important?

Are prophetic dreams a common thing?

Is it true that a dream another has about you is more likely to come true? (i.e. a dream about how you will die or where you will meet your mate)

What's the best book for a new kid like me to dive into? Something informative and interesting with explanations on common terms would be nice. I'm sure this information is posted elsewhere but I'll admit my impatience. biggrin  

That Damn Goblin

Professional Loiterer

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:37 pm
Ren Dammit
What does the term "fluffy" mean?

A fluffy is someone who, in the face of objective reality and facts, chooses to remain ignorant.

Quote:
Is white sage important? Are herbs in general important?

Guess it would depend on your practices.

Quote:
Are prophetic dreams a common thing?

Not sure.

Quote:
Is it true that a dream another has about you is more likely to come true? (i.e. a dream about how you will die or where you will meet your mate)

I have never heard of this before.

Quote:
What's the best book for a new kid like me to dive into? Something informative and interesting with explanations on common terms would be nice. I'm sure this information is posted elsewhere but I'll admit my impatience. biggrin

It depends on what you want to learn about.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff