Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [The Pocky Shop]____Discussion Of Pre-Existing Creations (Anime/Manga/Books)
[book] Wraeththu by Storm Constantine

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wraeththu
  Read it. Good.
  Tried to read it. Bad.
  Whah?
  That sounds odd... I have fear
  (G)
View Results

Tsaoma

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:53 pm
Anyone ever read it? It is one of my top 3 favorite books(series). House of Leaves and Just so Stories are the others.

It isn't exactly slashy or gay per say... It is a little wonky to explain. It is set in the future when a new race rises on the earth. They are based off of humanity, but better(for lack of a better descriptor). More beautiful, hardier, more in tune with the supernatural. The story is told from the point of view of three people caught up in it. There is Pellaz, a farm boy, who is enchanted with a traveler named Calanthe and follows him into the world of Wraeththu, unknowing of how deeply his life will become entangled in the fate of the race. Then there is the story of Swift, one of the first generation of pureborn Wraeththu. Then there is the story of Calanthe himself, who appears in all three books, always an unpredictable variable.

I really like the writing and the mood of the piece. I like following the characters as they get to know themselves and watching them and the race as a whole try to figure out who they are, and how to define themselves outside of humanity.

"The mood and language are elaborately woven, the style verging occasionally on the Victorian Gothic, with a decadence just short of the frenzied works of Poe. Storm Constantine is a tremendously impressive novelist." --Locus

Amazonness gives it 4.5 stars for average customer review.

I dig it.

SO, read it, heard of it, interested yet?

Oh, and she writes other things I KNOW are gay... like The Thorn Boy and Other Stories. But I haven't read them.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:50 pm
I've always wanted to read that. Somehow, every time I see the length of it, I realize I'll never finish it. sweatdrop  

SilverMaple
Crew

Sparkly Lover

Strausser

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:28 am
Loved this series so very, very much! Still have to read the final volume (which I've had for over a year now...meh). Didn't know what to make of it at first, but fell in love with all the characters. Wish there was a non-English (w/ subtitles) movie version of this. Did you know that there was a cosplay for the series back in 04 or 05 (or maybe it was 06?)? Ms. Constintine went and blogged it on her website, and I read about it. That would have been totally fun to go to...but it was in Germany, and that is pretty far from where I live.

The series is so good, I don't even have a favorite character, but I do love the intereaction between Pell and Cal, and Ru too, if you think about it. Still, gotta read that last volume, but for some reason my manga and HP took my life over.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:40 pm
[I'm reading it, I love it, but I prefer other books by the same author]
[I also really don't like Calanthe, so that makes it kindof hardto not, like, throw the book at the wall, sometimes]

Genica Pussywillow

RoseSpirit

5,200 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:32 am
I have heard of it, and seen it numerous times, but yes, the size scares me off. .__. House of Leaves is great, though. XD I need to read it again.  
[The Pocky Shop]____Discussion Of Pre-Existing Creations (Anime/Manga/Books)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games