25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
undecided
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

worthlesshadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:10 pm
Awsume author, wonderul books. She has written a great series called 'The Dark is Rising' and many other books that are just great. Name your favorite books written by her, or just comment on how super an author she is. Or just post and say whatever xp  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:33 pm
I read the Dark is Rising series a few years ago, but can't much remember what happened. It was a good series, I suppose. But reading through a series once doesn't leave me with a lasting impression. I'd re-read it, if I actually liked this school's library.  

NightIntent
Captain

worthlesshadow

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:28 pm
heh. school libraries can be very discouraging ninja  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:12 pm
Indeed they can be. Plus, I doubt the library actually has the books. They're a bit lacking in interesting fantasy books.  

NightIntent
Captain

worthlesshadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:47 pm
ccht. we should sue! twisted  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:54 pm
here's an awsume website to go to for Susan Cooper:

http://www.thelostland.com/index.htm

really awsume. got all her books on there along with summary.  

worthlesshadow

worthlesshadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:50 pm
A book I highly recommend by Susan Cooper is 'Seaward'. Wonderful book! just finished it and I loved it. biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:00 pm
I enjoyed Seaward too. I always forget the premise behind it, but I think all I can remember is the tower they go to, that has rooms for them or something.
I really love the Dark is Rising sequence. It's the classic good-versus-evil, but in a cute way with Welshness and I don't know. It's just really awesome.  

Nebbie

Nuala

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:41 am
worthlesshadow
Awsume author, wonderul books. She has written a great series called 'The Dark is Rising' and many other books that are just great. Name your favorite books written by her, or just comment on how super an author she is. Or just post and say whatever xp

I was introduced to the The Dark is Rising sequence when I was 16, and really lapped it up. However, my parents live in North Wales, and I've actually climbed Cader Idris, so I was able to get a feel for the locations quite easily.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:05 pm
Quote:
heh. school libraries can be very discouraging

I was lucky that when I really started getting into fantasy my school had an ok selection. I actually remember the librarian reading us The Fairy Rebel And they had copies of Diane Duane's So You Want To Be a Wizard series. I could kiss whoever stocked that library.  

FaeDreamer

Dapper Gaian

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

Lady in the Light

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:28 am
Nuala
worthlesshadow

I was introduced to the The Dark is Rising sequence when I was 16, and really lapped it up. However, my parents live in North Wales, and I've actually climbed Cader Idris, so I was able to get a feel for the locations quite easily.
That would have been so neat. One of the things that I had a hard time with in the book was the places and the names. I also loved her Bogart series...  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:33 am
The Dark is Rising and Silver on the Tree are certainly two of my favorite fantasy books of all time. One of the first books to introduce me to the fantasy genra in third grade, The Dark is Rising has an incredible and unique style and plot that enraptured me. Susan Cooper is definitely one of the best authors in the fantasy field, especially for younger readers!  

argenteuspardus

mylittleshadow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:11 pm
I enjoyed the Dark is Rising series--mostly. The settings were great and some of the scenes were truly amazing. The Green Witch was one of the best supernatural characters I've run across.

But--I got so MAD at the end when (spoiler ahead, in white)everyone was made to forget everything. All that effort, all that loss, and all that learning just--wiped out. And I really didn't appreciate the "It's all about balance" bit, either. Oh, I know that it's a fairly common trope, but after all they'd done--it should mean something.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:44 pm
Yeah, that part was really annoying to me, too. It doesn't make sense for them all to have forgotten everything. It wasn't a very good ending, in my opinion.  

NightIntent
Captain

Morgana-LeFay

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:04 pm
I've read Over Sea, Under Stone, and The Dark is Rising, but I can't seem to find a copy of Greenwitch anywhere...  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff