Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Calling who? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SonarP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:40 pm
How exactly might the gods and goddesses call someone with other than just visions and the like? Maybe even have a matron and patron?

The only thing I can chime in is that I find myself drawn to Poseidon/Neptune, Bast(some people prefer Bastet or another spelling) and Sekmet..... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:23 pm
"Just" visions? wink

What exactly do you mean? How would you know you had Someone looking out for you, or you were supposed to be worshipping Someone?

Dreams, strings of coincidences, voices, people who shouldn't have a clue passing you messages...

For a sign to be effective, it has to be meaningful to you, right? There's only so much another person can tell you.  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:05 am
TheDisreputableDog

For a sign to be effective, it has to be meaningful to you, right?

DINGDING! DD- spot on!

In other news-

SonarP

... I find myself drawn to Poseidon/Neptune,

Which is it?

While Greek Culture did influence the Roman Empire, that isn't to say that those aren't two very different beings.

~skips comentary on the Kermetic Deities for the sake of her own sanity~  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:42 am
I'm particularly fond of when a god tells one of it's followers to go grab you. 3nodding

That aside, there are numerous accounts in religions of how specific gods like to reveal themselves.
Both Shem and Anhur have a thing for fire, for example.  

Fiddlers Green

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:39 pm
The other thing I always wonder is why a Matron and Patron?

I mean, this seems to be a classic in the neopagan scene for obvious reasons- and as a result, I think far too many people grasp at deities looking to be able to meet the Wiccans and Wiccan influenced on terms they can relate to (that or they go running after Cunningham's and Ravenwolf's concept of theology).  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:57 pm
I agree with tea!

why a matron and patron? confused  

patch99329

jaden kendam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:23 am
patch99329
I agree with tea!

why a matron and patron? confused

I agree with Tea and Patch. Although I do not worship a deity (deities), it seems odd that many people think that there has to be a male and a female. So, the question is why? And why deities from different pantheons like Bast and Neptune?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:54 am
More than just that- that one would have to select one of each.

And it isn't just limited to the generic scene either. I want to beat so many Asatru with a nerf bat for this oh-so-Wiccan idea creaping into their practice.

Don't get me wrong- being dedicated to a god is different. But running through a list of gods and saying "Hmmmm... I like you, you'll be my patron and you, you'll be my matron", and then they forget about the others!

Well, forget isn't accurate, more like placing but a slight passing interest in them.  

TeaDidikai

patch99329

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:15 am
TeaDidikai
I want to beat so many Asatru with a nerf bat for this oh-so-Wiccan idea creaping into their practice.

I agree with all you post 3nodding

This in particular got me. It does annoy me how wicca has started to get everywhere.

When I say my path is 'trad witchcraft' I often get wiccan misconceptions >.< As though I was using the words 'trad witchcraft' as a replacement for the word 'wiccan'. xp  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:19 am
patch99329
Tea likes Purple.

Quote:
This in particular got me. It does annoy me how wicca has started to get everywhere.
It isn't even Wicca- it's a bastardized concept removed form it's culture.

Quote:
When I say my path is 'trad witchcraft' I often get wiccan misconceptions >.< As though I was using the words 'trad witchcraft' as a replacement for the word 'wiccan'. xp
Get thee to the PathWays forum. scream  

TeaDidikai

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:20 am
Having patrons and matrons isn't exactly a wiccan concept though. While the practice was different, patrons were in existance during Greek times. Although for much broader things (you were a weaver, your patron was Athena, etc...)  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:29 am
Nuri
Having patrons and matrons isn't exactly a wiccan concept though. While the practice was different, patrons were in existance during Greek times. Although for much broader things (you were a weaver, your patron was Athena, etc...)
Correct. I intended to address that with the concept of dedication, but I feel short.

However, the random super glueing of a god and a goddess because you think they are sparkly and you need to have a GodMother and GodFather to match up is what I am addressing.

Further- the behavior I am seeing is that they take two deities and worship to them to the exclusion of the others in the pantheon- not because this is what their gods ask them to do, but because they don't think they have to do any more.  

TeaDidikai

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:40 am
Well, then you just have the idiots again....  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:47 am
TeaDidikai
patch99329
Tea likes Purple.
:

LMFAO!!

Sorry xD
I meant I agree with all of your post!
T'was a typo xD  

patch99329

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:16 pm
patch99329

LMFAO!!

Sorry xD
I meant I agree with all of your post!
T'was a typo xD
No no... you had it right the first time. twisted

Nuri
Well, then you just have the idiots again....
Well... yeah.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces