Twilight - recommendable? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:22 am
I've been curious about the young adult novel, Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer.

However, my reason for posting this is a question to those who have read it: is it worth it? I've heard some stories of it being fairly good, and others of it being total garbage.
So discuss: Twilight - wonderful read or wasted cash?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:15 pm
i'm completely obsessed with the series. in some ways it's not as mature as i would like, but after all it's a young adult novel. i guess it all comes down to what kind of books you like. i definately recommend it.
3nodding  

broken_hearts_beat17

Sorinchako

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:29 pm
I recomend it. It was well written and addicting. I feel it could have been better, but it's worth the buy.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:50 pm
I'd recomend it. The series is really good but it's written in a happier atmospher then I thought it would be. It's a good novel but depends on your preferance.  

nikia kitty

Annie Havok-Morphine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:27 pm
It's generic, "wasted cash"-as you put it-if you ask me. But, hey, it you like overly-perfect characters, and dramatic forbidden-love stories where the two people are pretty much obessesed with each other, then go buy it. It was well-written, but the plot was so obviously in love with itself that it just cancels out the quality of writing.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:21 pm
Annie Havok-Morphine
It's generic, "wasted cash"-as you put it-if you ask me. But, hey, it you like overly-perfect characters, and dramatic forbidden-love stories where the two people are pretty much obessesed with each other, then go buy it. It was well-written, but the plot was so obviously in love with itself that it just cancels out the quality of writing.

I'll pass methinks, I like my characters flawed and interesting.  

Rellik San
Crew

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:14 pm
Annie Havok-Morphine

Yeah, I've heard of the terms "Mary Sue" and "Gary Stu" applying to this book a lot.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:47 pm
As far as a vampire story goes it's really really cute... adorable even. like the sort of thing you'd day dream about when you're thirteen. You know sweet handsome boyfriend... happens to feed off of blood but yeah still cute. There's room for adolescent escapism in novels.  

Chansung

Bloody_Vampire_Heart666

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:29 pm
omg Twilight is the awsome it's the best seiries i've read i started reading it and i couldn't put it down i'm on the second book New Moon
i think you should read it if you didn't already  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:40 pm
I'm reading it now. I like it. But, I'm a vampire freak, and I'm a big softy for a good romance novel. So, it's a good book for me. It depends on what you're into.  

Tusyo

1,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Forum Dabbler 200

Snows Wyntre

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:14 pm
I would recommend this book until I die. I read it and was instantly obsessed, I am currently reading the third book, and taking it slow, so I do not finish and have nothing left to read, since I cannot use the library.... (Long Story.)  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:17 pm
Annie Havok-Morphine

What this person, so obviously means to say, as is evident in her post, is that she does not think that the book has enough fan-service... The same thing that ruined Inu-Yasha, for those of us who watched it from episode one, and stopped after about 60 episodes of repitition, and fan-servicing.  

Snows Wyntre

Snows Wyntre

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 6:18 pm
Furthermore

(I apologize for taking this into a new post...)

If you think that Isabella Swan is a "perfect" character, than you must have a VERY screwed up life, to think that her's in comparison is perfect....  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:34 pm
Ashitaka-Mononokes_Love
Furthermore

If you think that Isabella Swan is a "perfect" character, than you must have a VERY screwed up life, to think that her's in comparison is perfect....

It's not a matter of life experience that determines perfection neutral
It's a point that she has no personality flaws. That's where "perfection" comes from - an unrealistic perfection; an annoying perfection.

Plus, being through an abnormally grievous existence (without showing any true signs of trauma) is a major sign of a Mary-Sue.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Snows Wyntre

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:21 am
-Resurrected Writer-
Ashitaka-Mononokes_Love
Furthermore

It's not a matter of life experience that determines perfection neutral
It's a point that she has no personality flaws. That's where "perfection" comes from - an unrealistic perfection; an annoying perfection.

Plus, being through an abnormally grievous existence (without showing any true signs of trauma) is a major sign of a Mary-Sue.

I know what you are saying. What I am saying, is that one must be immensely flawed to attempt to accuse the character that Bella is of being flawless, and even then, there is some imperfection in the accusation.

I would give an example here, but that would be important spoilers for those of us actually reading it.  
Art / Poetry / Literature - Related Topics

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff