Welcome to Gaia! ::

Panic! At The Disco Fan Guild

Back to Guilds

A place for Panic! At The Disco fans to gather and discuss. 

Tags: Panic! At The Disco, Brendon Urie, Music 

Reply PANIC At The Disco Fan Guild
Article about Summerfest... [edit] NEW SONG! Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

found on
  http://patdonline.com/
View Results

Polyphonic Twilight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:44 am
Panic!'s progress doesn't quite match its passion...
But fury pushes its set past limitations

If American teenagers and young adults are so wised-up, why do the bands they elevate to arena-filling status have all the originality of a term paper bought off the Internet?

Let's be literal a moment: Panic! At the Disco didn't actually fill the Marcus Amphitheater on Saturday night; a lot of upper seats and the grass area yawned with emptiness.

Nevertheless, the Las Vegas quartet that played a Summerfest side stage last year has obviously progressed quite far, commercially, on the basis of one album, 2005's "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out."

Artistically, progress was minimal. Frontman Brendon Urie's New Wave skinny tie and white dress shirt were sartorial emblems of Panic's tendency to smash together old stuff in a frenzy that makes it seem new to those who haven't heard any of it before.

To those who have, Urie's vocals sounded an awful lot like a combo platter of Morrissey and the Cure's Robert Smith, while guitarist Ryan Ross processed his riffs through a mélange of early U2 and Sunny Day Real Estate.

What Urie was singing about was indecipherable to anyone who hasn't obsessively listened to "Fever" several hundred times - though, of course, that was the majority of this audience. He couldn't vault his voice above the the band, especially the powerhouse that was drummer Spencer Smith and the wind that was bassist Jon Walker.

And the fury that was Panic's performance did drive a lot of the set past the group's creative limitations - something that could not be said, at all, about the immediately preceding act, Gym Class Heroes.

Though the six-piece New York group had a potentially intriguing mix of hip-hop and live instrumentation, it wasn't anywhere near the level of the Roots. The Roots never tried to sample Supertramp, which GCH has on the inexplicable "Cupid's Chokehold/Breakfast in America," a Tinkertoy construction that's easily the worst radio staple of 2007.

Yet Travis McCoy, the group's averagely talented rapper, untalented singer and quite good clown, took GCH lower with an abysmal beat-heavy take on the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations" - a truly clueless and loving act of sacrilege.

The Academy Is... had plenty of clues, all taken from the playbook of rock poses. The quintet had star moves to go with its standard electric grooves, not to mention at least three shag haircuts.

Only the evening's first band, The Hush Sound, appeared to have an interest in uncalculated musical enjoyment. The Chicago quartet had gorgeously off-kilter male/female harmonies, elastic rakishness and melodies as crisp as a ripe apple. It was genuine sweetness and light against the other acts' over-thought sourness and dark.

Source: jsonline.com

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:46 am
That doesn't sound good for Panic! sad
And so far, no videos available on youtube...

Edit! Panic! performing A NEW SONG! eek heart  

Polyphonic Twilight

Polyphonic Twilight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:40 am
More videos: (credit to o0oMandaPandao0o on youtube, and for IWSNT credit to jlegal2435)
(I think) introducing the new song
Introducing the band
Beginning of There's A Good Reason Why These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought Of It Yet.
Another part of There's A Good Reason Why These Tables Are Numbered Honey, You Just Haven't Thought Of It Yet.
Brendon talking about what I can only assume is Lying...
I Write Sins, Not Tragedies
Part of Lying...
Time To Dance
Part of London Beckoned...
Nails For Breakfast, Tacks For Snacks
Brendon talking about weather + Camisado
Part of The Only Difference...
The Only Difference... + Brendon talking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:10 am
sounds like the new CD will rock  

Norri the fae

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:16 pm
Wow, Poly was put to work! Haha, good job with this thread Poly. <3 I love you.

That hate that article...with a passion. Are they KIDDING us when they say that Panic! has no originality? WHAT. THE. ********. And what's wrong with really didicated fans that are really into the music? Why would people go see Panic! if they barely knew who they were? Comon. Grrr.

I wish that the new song wasnt so repetitive. But then again, it's only a demo. So it most likely will change atleast somewhat before the album comes out. The more I listen to it, the more I'm starting to like it. I think that this song will be easy to like...put a skit or something together for.

I like it when Brendon is introducing the new song and he's like, "Today we played it for the second time...if we ******** up, I apologize." xDD

"And those shitty vocals...Mr. Brendon Urie..." rofl

DUDE. Brendon always says something perverted before "Lying...". I love it. Hahaha. "Okay, basically the next five minutes we're going to get like really dirty and naughty. Heres the thing...it's like...if you feel like you want to get naked, thats totally cool. So I'll ******** leave that up to you guys though, I'm not even going to like, pass judgment. It's totally up to you. Cool. So with that being said, here we go!" And Ryan is just like staring at him in the background, like, "Brendon...what the ******** are you doing..." rofl I love it how before like, every song, for like, every show, Brendon always says something, and then is just like, "Lets just start it." Hahaha. He like, doesnt know how to do a transition. It's cute.

Wow, that last part of "Difference..." that sounded great. When he was talking about "the next song requiring a little participation" do you think he was talking about "Time To Dance?"

rofl Oh my gosh. During "Time To Dance," Brendon just lashes out in "OH MY GOD!!" xDD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:07 pm
I found this video. I suggest you turn off your volume during the song, because the volume over powered the camera. But I think when Brendon talks before and after the song it's sort of funny. biggrin I was reading the comments for this video on YouTube and one of the comments said that right when this video cuts off, Brendon started talking about how they should start an auction (because Brendon took off his tie). xDD Oh, and beware, theres some girl yelling about how it's her birthday throughout the video. o.o

Has anyone found any photos of Panic! Summerfest? I havent found any yet.

PrimeRibby
Captain

Polyphonic Twilight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:09 pm
Surfing the net for Panic! news is so not work xp heart And neither is watching all those videos. But thank you =D
I was so excited today. And no one was home to share my enthusiasm... so I figured I'd post all about it here xp And then it took forever for anyone to reply ninja xp

And yeah, I wasn't even really going to comment much on the article since it kinda ticked me off... Obviously the person who wrote it has no idea what they're talking about. If you don't like the music- fine. You're absolutely crazy, but fine. But the author was even dissing Brendon's clothes, I mean, come on! rolleyes What's with that?! Personally, I thought he looked pretty great. But I always think that xp Not that it even matters what he was wearing since it's not like they dressed up for the concert like they do on tour...
Oh and the obsessive fans comment surprised :X That was just ridiculous.

I also wish the new song wasn't so repetitive. Maybe they will change it a bit before the album though... but I don't know. Lyrically, there weren't any differences between the NFBTFS demo and album version.. and the Time To Dance demo sounded pretty much exactly the same as the album version. But who knows. I hope they'll make it less repetitive, or that the other songs on the albums will have more of the witty, "intellectual" lyrics we're used to it. Musically I like the song though 3nodding

Brendon is so cute, the way he's all hyper. It always seems like he's just saying whatever pops into his head... even though it's rehearsed sometimes, it seems spontaneous. And funny xd Like the whole get naked speech. Haha heart

I thought the "participation" part might also be for Time To Dance (because of "when I say shotgun, you say wedding") but I don't know for sure...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:14 pm
`PrimeRib
I found this video. I suggest you turn off your volume during the song, because the volume over powered the camera. But I think when Brendon talks before and after the song it's sort of funny. biggrin I was reading the comments for this video on YouTube and one of the comments said that right when this video cuts off, Brendon started talking about how they should start an auction (because Brendon took off his tie). xDD Oh, and beware, theres some girl yelling about how it's her birthday throughout the video. o.o

Haha xd
How could you not love that guy? Kinda cocky though, thinking he should auction off his own tie... I mean, granted, it would probably sell for a couple hundred dollars, but still xp

And oh my god, if that girl were standing near me I seriously would've smacked her. No one cares that it's her birthday, they want to hear Panic! At The Disco :X rolleyes

Polyphonic Twilight

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:19 pm
I was just watching that part before the new song, and did anyone else notice that Ryan actually SPOKE on stage? eek It was only a few words, and I couldnt make out what he said, I think he said, "What was the thing?" or something like that. But dang. RYAN SPOKE ON STAGE! eek

I woke up this morning and like, the first thing I thought about was "OMG. NEED INTERNET. POSSIBLE NEW PANIC! SONG! OMGOMGOMG." Then my eyes popped open. xD I just didnt check out the guild until later on. I was still spazzing out. I couldnt process correctly. xD

You're right about the demos thing. sad Now that I think about it, those demos had MORE lyrics than the actual song on the album did.

Sometimes I think it's more fun when Brendon performs like that on stage, instead of all serious. Like, during the Nothing Rhymes With Circus tour, everything was planned and rehearsed like crazy, and Brendon didnt really say anything that wasnt in his script. But like, this show, Summerfest, it seemed a lot more layed back, and like you said, whatever popped into Brendons head, he said. It just kind of reminded everyone that these kids are only like, 20 years old.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:22 pm
Brendon playing piano:
User Image

Brendon:
User Image
User Image
User Image

Ryan and Brendon:
User Image
User Image

Polyphonic Twilight

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:22 pm
Polyphonic Twilight
`PrimeRib

Haha xd
How could you not love that guy? Kinda cocky though, thinking he should auction off his own tie... I mean, granted, it would probably sell for a couple hundred dollars, but still xp

And oh my god, if that girl were standing near me I seriously would've smacked her. No one cares that it's her birthday, they want to hear Panic! At The Disco :X rolleyes

I have yet to find photos sad

I think he might have said that because of the US Summer tour in 2006. xD The Lucent people auctioned off photos of them. xD

Yeah, in those YouTube comments, everyone was like, "I heard her too!" "Me too!" "I even heard her!" Hahaha. Supposibly, she told every band that performed that it was her birthday. I would have been like, "No one ******** cares it's your birthday." And then I would of shoved my elbow down her throat. D= Concerts arent something to mess with when you're on the floor.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:24 pm
Yay for Poly finding photos! heart Where'd you find them? I wish they werent so dark.

PrimeRibby
Captain

Polyphonic Twilight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:27 pm
`PrimeRib
I was just watching that part before the new song, and did anyone else notice that Ryan actually SPOKE on stage? eek It was only a few words, and I couldnt make out what he said, I think he said, "What was the thing?" or something like that. But dang. RYAN SPOKE ON STAGE! eek

I woke up this morning and like, the first thing I thought about was "OMG. NEED INTERNET. POSSIBLE NEW PANIC! SONG! OMGOMGOMG." Then my eyes popped open. xD I just didnt check out the guild until later on. I was still spazzing out. I couldnt process correctly. xD

You're right about the demos thing. sad Now that I think about it, those demos had MORE lyrics than the actual song on the album did.

Sometimes I think it's more fun when Brendon performs like that on stage, instead of all serious. Like, during the Nothing Rhymes With Circus tour, everything was planned and rehearsed like crazy, and Brendon didnt really say anything that wasnt in his script. But like, this show, Summerfest, it seemed a lot more layed back, and like you said, whatever popped into Brendons head, he said. It just kind of reminded everyone that these kids are only like, 20 years old.

First off, sorry if that last post is huge xp Those are the only pictures I've seen so far.

And yes I heard Ryan too! But I didn't hear what he said, I don't think he was talking to the crowd, really.

I really had not realized that they would perform a new song at Summerfest. It just never occurred to me... So it was a wonderful surprise! Now I'm thinking, maybe they'll play it at Decaydance Fest! Or a different new song... and now I'm even more excited about that than I was. Which I though was impossible xp

And yeah, it's fun when things are casual 3nodding I always forget how young they are, even though it's one of the things I like about them. It's easy to relate to them when you think that only a few years ago they were in high school, living normal lives.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:27 pm
I love the crowds reaction after Brendon's like, "We're going to play a new song" in that one video. That girl is like, "OOOHHH MMYYY GOOOODDDD!!!!!!!!!"

PrimeRibby
Captain

Polyphonic Twilight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:32 pm
`PrimeRib
Polyphonic Twilight
Haha xd

I have yet to find photos sad

I think he might have said that because of the US Summer tour in 2006. xD The Lucent people auctioned off photos of them. xD

Yeah, in those YouTube comments, everyone was like, "I heard her too!" "Me too!" "I even heard her!" Hahaha. Supposibly, she told every band that performed that it was her birthday. I would have been like, "No one ******** cares it's your birthday." And then I would of shoved my elbow down her throat. D= Concerts arent something to mess with when you're on the floor.
Ohh yeah I saw that video, when the guys' "stats" were revealed xd heart

Haha. It's kind of funny that everyone there could hear her. But seriously. How annoying!

I found the pictures on Buzznet 3nodding
I didn't really notice the reactions... (it's late so I have to keep the volume really low..) but if I were there, I probably would have jumped for joy! xp

PANIC At The Disco Fan Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff