Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Fai's Sketchbook - Updated 7/4/11 Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Faithom
Artist

Heckler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:26 pm
Hey, name's Fai. :3 I need lots of help with lots of stuff.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

It's mainly because I never took art classes or w.e... lol, so everything's done by instinct.

I'm 19 now! Holy crap it's been two years since I've updated this... almost. XD

I love art and music and literature. And a lot of other things.

And I work with pencil and paper mostly. XD Just recently started messing around with PS. Got a tablet last year. : D I draw a lot in SAI.

What I have posted in the next post is what I need help with. It'll be updated regularly, of course. [or at least try]

Gallery: http://faithom.deviantart.com

Want to:
Rock at CGing. crying And maybe learn to excel at realism!?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:28 pm
Time for new pieces:

User Image
Not done at all but... updated? I guess? Need to keep using this...

Faithom
Artist

Heckler

Faithom
Artist

Heckler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:29 pm
Otherwise, comment away!  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:44 pm
Wow. I came here to return the favor and maybe help criticize but I was dumb founded when I saw your picture, you're amazing! I love your use of color especially in the little wings. Do you use a tablet?  

Miki Hikari

Sriae

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:33 pm
I have no idea. You could try one of those online color scheme picker things. [is sooooo helpful]

Also, I have a feeling that her arm ia a bit too long.

Love how you do wings and swords btw. heart  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:28 pm
Miki Hikari
Wow. I came here to return the favor and maybe help criticize but I was dumb founded when I saw your picture, you're amazing! I love your use of color especially in the little wings. Do you use a tablet?

Mouse. >.< It's taking me a really, really long time to color this. Hmm... I'll try the online scheme picker thing.

XD

I suck at anatomy.  

Faithom
Artist

Heckler

Miki Hikari

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:23 am
A mouse! No way! How do you get such beautiful line art with a mouse Also Ive never heard of an online scheme picker but I dont think you need it wink  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:45 am
Gotta say: love the wonderful cloth detail you put in there.

I think the only thing that really bothers me is the character's profile-eye-mouth agreement: the profile is looking a little downwards but the eye is more suited for a "straight-on" profile (not sure if that's clear). Try using freeform or something to slightly tilt it more left... it's not that big of a problem, though.

The mouth is more of a problem for me sweatdrop if it's a side-ways turn, it's supposed to be smaller and not be... "inside" of the profile (the mouth opening should be part of the profile). Nots sure if I make any sense.

Anyway, your coloring is pretty awesome. I've always sucked at color choice and dramatic coloring (my mom rags on my "light 2nd grade" coloring aaaaaaaall the time stressed

For the starred/astrixed: I think it'd be good if you made it a shade of white, purple, or green.

White: because of the large yellowish cloth, it'll at least match.
Purple: Because the shoulder cloth is purple, you might want to make it purplish as well to balance the picture.
Green: I actually like green + white the best. Green is because of those cool feathers he has XD.

Dunno. Don't take my advice. I'm the queen of bad advice sweatdrop  

Okiyami

Julia Pegasus

Bashful Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:29 am
Okiyami
Purple: Because the shoulder cloth is purple, you might want to make it purplish as well to balance the picture.

For this same reason, I'm going to suggest purple ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:15 am
I'd say beige/white with yellow shadows, to keep the color scheme.
Nice art BTW.  

Mogtoats

Julia Pegasus

Bashful Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:52 am
Well, I believe purple would help keeping the color scheme better... because there's already a small area of purple in the image. I believe that adding more purple to the picture will integrate better the already existing purple area to the picture.

Just my 2 cents, though. ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:56 pm
Miki Hikari
A mouse! No way! How do you get such beautiful line art with a mouse Also Ive never heard of an online scheme picker but I dont think you need it wink

XD The line art's done on paper with pencil and then scanned onto the computer. You probably can't see the details... but it's extremely messy close up lol, compared to actually lined art.

What's freeform, Okiyami? o.o Hmm... how would I go about fixing the mouth though? >.< Erasing some of the lines?

I need to try all the suggestions... but I'll purple first I guess lol. XD  

Faithom
Artist

Heckler

Miki Hikari

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:01 am
You really have to update, Im so eager to see the finished work  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:24 pm
XD Okay.  

Faithom
Artist

Heckler

Ishrie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:38 pm
I wouldn't worry about this, because you're quite a ways along, but... the way he's holding the sword bothers me. Blades are HEAVY, and the way his hand is currently positioned puts all the weight on his wrist, which is cumbersome if you're experienced and painful if you're not.

Here's where my hand goes when I hold a sword:
User Image

Notice how the wrist is working with the position of the sword, instead of against it? That puts the weight of the weapon on the arm (and shoulder, depending on what you're doing with it). The wrist is set against the hilt so that the sword can be maneuvered more easily.

Other than that, it's basically what everyone else has been saying. Great work, fantastic colors.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff