Welcome to Gaia! ::

Panic! At The Disco Fan Guild

Back to Guilds

A place for Panic! At The Disco fans to gather and discuss. 

Tags: Panic! At The Disco, Brendon Urie, Music 

Reply Other Music Discussion
Bands Becoming "Mainstream" Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which is better?
  Mainstream.
  Underground.
  I don't care either way.
View Results

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:47 am
Have you ever spoken with someone who only likes "underground" bands? You know, the bands that no one really knows about but are pretty popular maybe around your area (the bands that are trying to get big)? What do you think of these people? I was just watching MTV, and I saw a commerical for "Misery Business" by Paramore. It was one of those "discover and download" commercials. In one way, I felt super excited to see them on MTV! I was like, "wow! my band is growing up!" In another way, I felt sort of sad. Now the whole world will find out about them, and I won't have them all to myself (yes, I know that sounds selfish). I saw both sides when I watched that commerical. The side where I'm going to miss my underground band, but also the side where I'm a mainstream band fan. What I don't understand, is people are probably like, "I hate Paramore now that they were on MTV." WHO DOES THAT?! Honestly. I mean, dude. Paramore was on MTV. YOU SHOULD BE PROUD of them. I would never quit loving a band just because they became big.

Have you ever spoken with someone who used to like Panic! At The Disco -before- they were on MTV? Those people drive me crazy. I mean, just because they became big, it doesnt mean their music is any different than it was. Their album didnt change over night. Why am I so bold in saying this here? Because obviously, we are all Panic! At The Disco fans, even when they are big. When you think about it, Panic! At The Disco never really was an underground band (well, maybe for about two weeks, but that's about it). If you met someone who said, "I liked their music before they became big," what did you say to them? Did you agree with them in any sort of way? Sure, the screaming fan girls and tweens get annoying, but it's not something we control, so why doesnt everyone just get over it?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:38 pm
"Underground" bands... well I personally don't think I've ever became a fan of one. I discovered what being a true fan of a band was in Oct. So P!ATD was the first band I really ever liked, then I found THS in Jan. That's about it.

I hate it how people don't like a band after they became big, it's stupid. Like you said, the band doesn't change. I also hate it when some people think they're better fans because they've liked/listened to a band longer. Just because they've liked them longer doesn't mean they're a better fan/know more. Uggh... domokun [/end of rant]

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Miss Snickers

Bilvy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:41 pm
Haha, well, wasn't Paramore always pretty popular?
I mean, their song "Pressure" was on the Sims 2 for playstation!
Haha, but I do get that weird feeling sometimes...
Like, a mix of jealousy and proudness (if that's even a word) at the same time...
Eh, anyway, sometimes I introduce bands to my friends and when they always start talkng about that band to me and even other people I get really mad and jealous for some reason. Like if it was my band and that I was the first ever one to discover them.
neutral
it's a feeling I can't seem to explain.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:12 pm
Bilvy
Haha, well, wasn't Paramore always pretty popular?
I mean, their song "Pressure" was on the Sims 2 for playstation!
Haha, but I do get that weird feeling sometimes...
Like, a mix of jealousy and proudness (if that's even a word) at the same time...
Eh, anyway, sometimes I introduce bands to my friends and when they always start talkng about that band to me and even other people I get really mad and jealous for some reason. Like if it was my band and that I was the first ever one to discover them.
neutral
it's a feeling I can't seem to explain.

Dude...like...no one knew about Paramore until this summer, really. Well, the people I know. OH MY GOSH, I know that feeling too! One of my friends recently is really getting into Panic! At The Disco, and I just feel like, "no! it's MY band!" even though I'm happy she likes them. I don't say that straight out to her, but it's just one of my inside feelings.

PrimeRibby
Captain

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:14 pm
Miss Snickers
"Underground" bands... well I personally don't think I've ever became a fan of one. I discovered what being a true fan of a band was in Oct. So P!ATD was the first band I really ever liked, then I found THS in Jan. That's about it.

I hate it how people don't like a band after they became big, it's stupid. Like you said, the band doesn't change. I also hate it when some people think they're better fans because they've liked/listened to a band longer. Just because they've liked them longer doesn't mean they're a better fan/know more. Uggh... domokun [/end of rant]

Oh my gosh, I know! Like those people that are all like, "I liked Panic! At The Disco way before anyone else, and I live in Las Vegas, and so-and-so even went to my high school!!! I liked them wayyy before they went on MTV." In my head, I'm just like, "Shuddup."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:30 am
`PrimeRib
Miss Snickers

Oh my gosh, I know! Like those people that are all like, "I liked Panic! At The Disco way before anyone else, and I live in Las Vegas, and so-and-so even went to my high school!!! I liked them wayyy before they went on MTV." In my head, I'm just like, "Shuddup."

Yeah, that's so annoying. I also hate it when people brag about liking Panic! longer and then I ask them a simple question like : What color are Jon's flip-flops? And they're like "Huh? What are you talking about?" Sad, sad people... domokun

Miss Snickers

Bilvy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:17 am
Haha, Jon's flip-flops are black, right?
Oh and I've heard that some bands going mainstream have changed their uhhh, personality?
Well, from what I've heard, they treat their fans a lot differently and seem to be more "mean" towards them.
sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:48 am

In a way I can kind of understand the "possessiveness" feeling when a band you like gets mainstream... but it's really ridiculous if your opinion of their music changes just because they get more famous.

A lot of bands I like don't get famous here until a year or two after I started listening to them. Like how two months ago, one of my friends saw Fall Out Boy on One Tree Hill and the next day said "Have any of you heard of the new band Fall Out Boy? They sing that song, Dance Dance." And I probably rolled my eyes or something, because I've already been listening to them for ages. So sometimes it's kind of annoying, but other than that I don't really care whether a band is famous or not. I mean, you either like the music or you don't. The band's "status" really doesn't change that.

The other day, I heard Cupid's Chokehold on the radio in the car and I was like "Hey way to go guys!!" (talking to GCH)
And everyone looked at me like "what's she going on about now? xp "

Polyphonic Twilight

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:53 am
Miss Snickers
`PrimeRib
Miss Snickers

Yeah, that's so annoying. I also hate it when people brag about liking Panic! longer and then I ask them a simple question like : What color are Jon's flip-flops? And they're like "Huh? What are you talking about?" Sad, sad people... domokun

I know exactly what you mean. sad

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:59 am
Bilvy
Oh and I've heard that some bands going mainstream have changed their uhhh, personality?
Well, from what I've heard, they treat their fans a lot differently and seem to be more "mean" towards them.
sweatdrop

Yes, they are black. xD

I've heard the same. And I think a lot of it is true. If you look at interviews of...lets say...Panic! At The Disco from when they first started out, they were so nice and up beat, and it looked like they were willing to answer every question, even if they seemed shy. But now, they always just look bored, and sometimes they give the interviewee smack. And Panic! At The Disco just can't sit at a table and sign posters anymore. It's phisically impossible for the band to sign every album or poster, or whatever, of their fans that attend signings. It's just impossible. I remember watching an interview of the band talking about that, and Ryan said something like, "I wish the fans were just more understanding, and I wish we could just get to all of the fans that come out." It was really sweet how it said it, and it kind of made me realize how much stress that must be to know that there are riots and angry fans that want to meet you, but you just can't meet one person, because if you meet one fan, you have to meet all of them. D=

PrimeRibby
Captain

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:03 am
Polyphonic Twilight

In a way I can kind of understand the "possessiveness" feeling when a band you like gets mainstream... but it's really ridiculous if your opinion of their music changes just because they get more famous.

A lot of bands I like don't get famous here until a year or two after I started listening to them. Like how two months ago, one of my friends saw Fall Out Boy on One Tree Hill and the next day said "Have any of you heard of the new band Fall Out Boy? They sing that song, Dance Dance." And I probably rolled my eyes or something, because I've already been listening to them for ages. So sometimes it's kind of annoying, but other than that I don't really care whether a band is famous or not. I mean, you either like the music or you don't. The band's "status" really doesn't change that.

The other day, I heard Cupid's Chokehold on the radio in the car and I was like "Hey way to go guys!!" (talking to GCH)
And everyone looked at me like "what's she going on about now? xp "

"Have you heard of the new band Fall Out Boy?" xd

I remember when I heard Gym Class Heroes on the radio for the first time. I was like, "No way!"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:35 pm
`PrimeRib
Bilvy
sweatdrop

Yes, they are black. xD

I've heard the same. And I think a lot of it is true. If you look at interviews of...lets say...Panic! At The Disco from when they first started out, they were so nice and up beat, and it looked like they were willing to answer every question, even if they seemed shy. But now, they always just look bored, and sometimes they give the interviewee smack. And Panic! At The Disco just can't sit at a table and sign posters anymore. It's phisically impossible for the band to sign every album or poster, or whatever, of their fans that attend signings. It's just impossible. I remember watching an interview of the band talking about that, and Ryan said something like, "I wish the fans were just more understanding, and I wish we could just get to all of the fans that come out." It was really sweet how it said it, and it kind of made me realize how much stress that must be to know that there are riots and angry fans that want to meet you, but you just can't meet one person, because if you meet one fan, you have to meet all of them. D=

Haha, yeah, maybe they're just tired and stressed out about everything going on. I mean, everything happened so quickly.
And you actually see a lot of bands acting that way too.
But I have yet to meet a band acting mean to a fan xP I haven't been to a single concert all my life and also haven't bought a single CD. Yup, that's right, I own 0 CDs.
xd  

Bilvy

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:53 am
Bilvy
`PrimeRib
Bilvy
sweatdrop

Yes, they are black. xD

Haha, yeah, maybe they're just tired and stressed out about everything going on. I mean, everything happened so quickly.
And you actually see a lot of bands acting that way too.
But I have yet to meet a band acting mean to a fan xP I haven't been to a single concert all my life and also haven't bought a single CD. Yup, that's right, I own 0 CDs.
xd

Aww. That's sort of cute. 4laugh It makes me want to take you CD shopping. Haha.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:46 pm
You can take me CD shopping anytime.
rofl pirate  

Bilvy

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:19 pm
Lets just do it. 3nodding

Other Music Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff