Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Religion hopping? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:47 am
Do you guys think it's abnormal to go through many different religions before finding the one that fits you? Right now that's my story, here's a lil time line of my beliefs...all within the past five years:

1. No Religion/ influenced by Christianity
2. Athiest
3. Fluffy Wiccan (can we count that as a religion?)
4. Eclectic Pagan Mess
5. Shakti/Hindu Paganism (Don't worry, I realized it was wrong)
6. Eclectic Mess, again
7. Kemetic Pagan

Now I'm worried that after a few months I'll feel like this religion doesn't fit me, and I'll be off for belief-system #8. Sometimes I feel like I should force myself to lose all religion so I won't have to deal with the feeling of being a "disrespectful religion hopper."

But is it really disrespectful, or is it just the path to find my religion? I mean, in every belief I've had I've been dedicated to it. There was never a "cool" factor; I actually felt like it was the right religion for me (at first).

Everyone here seems so solid in their beliefs, I really wish I could be like you guys. Did you find your religion right away, am I completely in the wrong for going through religions like this?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:01 pm
I would advise you to chilax. Just rest and figure out what fits you.

The reason we are solid in our beliefs is because we took some time, looked at what we believe, what we chose to believe, what resonated to ourselves in our soul and THEN looked for an organized religious expression of it to particiapte in.

You don't worry about what the label is, you worry about the belief, the experiences you have that reinforce that belief in the unseen. From there, you find the faith to express that through.

I was raised New Age Christian, then Baptist, then Mormon. I studied most metaphysics and studied Magick from the beginning of my life really. I understood a lot of what made up ritual, what made up magick, what made up faith. I believed in the Unseen, the Astral Plane and many other concepts. I discovered for me that the Gods are perfected humans, wiser but still people who grew and learned.

When I left Mormonism and was agnostic, I decided to look for some time and look for what was out there.

When I read the Big Blue Book, I felt as though what I believed was expressed perfectly. I started learning and studying.

So right now, take it easy. Determine what you want to believe. Make a list, THEN worry about the religion. Then worry about what to call yourself.

But for Gods' sake, PLEASE make sure that your religion fits you. I hate seeing someone who is a "reluctant (fillintheblank)". It's like buying a pair of shoes that are too tight. You can stand it, but after a while it will start hurting and making you miserable.  

Daven Moto

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:16 pm
Seems absolutly normal to me. I even see it happening in my fathers Catholicism. He turns 55 and all of sudden, ever book he bought was on Catholic/Zen Mysticism. This from the man that once yelled at me (something he rarely did) when I expressed an interest in reincarnation.

But it happens. We don't automatically find our gods, if we have gods -- life is the journey and we are going to change on it.

And no, most of us aren't so solid in our beliefs. Even in my spiritual grouping now (Hellenic Paganism) I've gone between methodologies. I started, so sure I was going to be a strict recon. I realized I didn't have the temperament for it, and then mysticism hit me and I forgot to do anything with any god other than Dionysos for awhile. Now I'm trying to balance everything out -- some reconstructive methodologies, some general neo-pagan all combined with my own ideas.

And yes, once upon a time, I thought I was Wicca.

We grow, we discover.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:30 pm
The only reason I've ever had for disparaging someone for "religion hopping" is when the person is obviously (and, in some cases, admittedly), just following fads, either positively or negatively.

Examples:
(Positive)
  • Kabbalah in right now? Cutting the check to Rav Berg as we speak, and there's my UPS tracking number for my Red String and Zohar water.
  • This whole "Wicca" thing is gaining ground; maybe I'll write a book about vague witchcraft-like things and sell it as Wiccan.

(Negative)
  • Oh, that UFO cult is getting bad press - I'll throw my support behind Rael.
  • Wicca's getting more and more popular; all of a sudden I hate it.

But if you're honestly seeking, I don't see anything wrong with changing your mind. I've changed my mind at least five times as to whether or not I am going to join AMORC (currently on the "yes, when I have the money" phase of that). I almost joined the Church of Satan, then realized that - although I have a Satanic ethic - I'm a theist. There goes that. Even going "whole-hog" and then changing isn't necessarily a bad thing; sometimes you have to get in deep before you realize these aren't the waters you want to swim in.  

Henry Dorsett Case

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:37 pm
Daven Moto

So right now, take it easy. Determine what you want to believe. Make a list, THEN worry about the religion. Then worry about what to call yourself.

Yea, this past year I've been taking a break from religion. I think all my life changes (turning 18, graduating from school, being hospitalized, etc.) have made me want to get my life in order. Religion is one of those things I would really love to have stabilzed. I started thinking that maybe I've been doing things wrong this whole time, and maybe that's why I was constantly changing.

Nuri

But it happens. We don't automatically find our gods, if we have gods -- life is the journey and we are going to change on it.

I constantly need to be reminded of this. I always think I like change but once it actually happens I try to avoid it.

I guess I look at those people who have been "whatever religion" all thier lives and think I'm doing something wrong because I'm not like that.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:54 pm
I wish I could help you myself, but I'm feeling a bit like you. This thread helped me in a way and I would like to thank you and those who responded for that.

elizabeth jude

jaden kendam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:46 am
Oddly enough, I was born into the religion. And yes, I have changed my beliefs. I have taken them back to the basics, and I think more should do so instead of listening to people like Sylvia Brown who either never knew the basics or just didnt understand them and instead thought that numerology, astrology, and etc are forms of communicating with spirit.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:34 pm
Nuri
Seems absolutly normal to me.

*snip*

We grow, we discover.

Yup. That just about sums it up. Spirituality/religion is an ongoing journey; it's no less stagnant than you as an ever-changing person are. Don't worry too much about pigeonholing yourself. Religion/spirituality is largely personal and your own unique system, no matter what general label category it might fall under. Perhaps you're one of those people who can see the threads that unite all the world's religions and that is why you shift as much as you do? If so, embrace that. Not everyone can have such a wide perspective and breadth of beliefs.  

Starlock

Estrella Eterna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:46 pm
Like many of the others said, it sounds normal.

I'm still trying to find myself and I know my spiritual path will go on until the end of my time. Thing is, I used to be concerned about what path I belonged to, now I care more about my personal path and my relationship with nature and the divine. If someday through belief I find a religion or path I relate/connect to, great. But too many people try to find belief through religion, if you catch my drift. Right now I'm trying to learn as much as I can but I am still free, although I question if I might be this or that religion.

Anyway...good luck.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:31 pm
Sounds completely understandable to me, as someone who has been working on her spiritual path for 20 years. I say working on, since I think "finding" one's path isn't always the best description. I believe the search is part of your path. Anyway, it can get very messy, sometimes painful, but truths are everywhere and the fact that you're searching for them is an encouraging thought.

Was that too nice?  

Hybrid Jewel

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:20 pm
Estrella Eterna

I'm still trying to find myself and I know my spiritual path will go on until the end of my time.

Yeah, that's definately one thing I keep forgetting; the path will keep going on and there's no exact end to it. Because I'm obsessed with order and organization, I would love to just find a path and then force myself to stop right there. Reality has stopped that lil fantasy.

JulieDoc
Anyway, it can get very messy, sometimes painful, but truths are everywhere and the fact that you're searching for them is an encouraging thought.

I know all about it being messy and painful. Especially when I was honoring the wrong gods, thinking I was doing the right thing. rolleyes
I guess we all have to learn sometime.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:26 am
I don't think it is wrong or abnormal hopping from one to another. Your tasting what is out there and finding what is right for you. You do seem to have a pattern of falling back on what had worked for you in the past while still growing toward something when you seek a new path.

It took me close to 12 years before I really firmly found what I wanted and am following. It also took a friend asking help for me to see that it I was on the path and had been on it for some time. Now I'm just taking it to the next level.  

Noirkaze

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:20 am
Telmeneliel
[I was raised New Age Christian, then Baptist, then Mormon. I studied most metaphysics and studied Magick from the beginning of my life really. I understood a lot of what made up ritual, what made up magick, what made up faith. I believed in the Unseen, the Astral Plane and many other concepts. I discovered for me that the Gods are perfected humans, wiser but still people who grew and learned.
Wait- you studied Thelema? eek

Quote:
I've been to Wiccan,
You were clergy?

Quote:
OTO,
Which camp?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash