Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Global Warming: Are You Doing Your Part? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:40 pm
According to a fairly recent UN study I stumbled upon, by just cutting out meat (and other animal products for the vegans here), you are helping to reduce the need for one of the worst contributers to global warming... livestock, particularily cattle.

The UN states; "Cattle-rearing generates more global warming greenhouse gases, as measured in CO2 equivalent, than transportation..."

The full article can be found here: http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=20772&Cr=global&Cr1=warming  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:43 pm
I've been doing my part for 14 years.
User Image  

SageRaventree

pilliwinks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:08 am
YAY! Yes! On the local news the other day they were talking about a "low carbon" diet. I immediately thought, "Oh, so it's veganism?" but it contained meat. All it was is this "fad" of buying local produce. stare That made me upset.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:39 pm
pilliwinks
YAY! Yes! On the local news the other day they were talking about a "low carbon" diet. I immediately thought, "Oh, so it's veganism?" but it contained meat. All it was is this "fad" of buying local produce. stare That made me upset.

local produce is important, but not eating animal products is a better solution. but that would just be to "radical" for any respected news station to broadcast

Sporadic_Lyricz

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:53 pm
Sporadic_Lyricz
pilliwinks

local produce is important, but not eating animal products is a better solution. but that would just be to "radical" for any respected news station to broadcast

Yes... because in this age of obesity, global warming, and skyrocketing cholesterol, a meat-free diet is such a radical and needless change. rolleyes

I also found it funny when I was watching An Inconvient Truth, how Gore implied that we all needed to do our part to curb the trend of global warming, yet mentioned nothing about the meat industry's impact on global warming.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:14 pm
Thats true

An Vegan girl in my school told me...
apparently, the cattle farming can be one of the reasons of global warming/global cooling(The day after tomorrow, anyone?)  

iGaara-Kun

The Croatian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:16 pm
Well "meat-wise" I have been doing my part for a week. ((yes I am new to this)) But I have allways tried to help the environment, and I guess global warming is in that catagory.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:23 am
That's good. Now I have another reason when people ask "Why?" when it comes to vegetarianism. biggrin  

Wishing4Wings

black rabbit37

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:14 pm
I would try to convince the rest of my family to not eat meat for this reason, but they are anti-activismagainstthegovernment. My dad is super conservative. He probably even knows when the president takes a sh*t.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:45 pm
SO cool! I'm very happy that I'm helping just following my heart. xd  

Mrs Joe Trohman

I am Holey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:26 pm
i wrote eating animals under a stop sign in my neighborhood!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:15 am
DreamerSpirit
Sporadic_Lyricz
pilliwinks

Yes... because in this age of obesity, global warming, and skyrocketing cholesterol, a meat-free diet is such a radical and needless change. rolleyes

Isn't it so irritating that when the low-carb diets were really popular, restaraunts and fast-food places were bending over backwards to accomodate the bunless hamburger eaters, but they still hardly ever provide decent vegetarian options. Why are they always so insistant on ignoring us?  

Hlessirah

Dapper Vegetarian

Hlessirah

Dapper Vegetarian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:16 am
JackMorris

Vandalizing public property does not usually do much to promote your cause, no matter how noble your intentions might be...  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:01 pm
Hlessirah
JackMorris

Vandalizing public property does not usually do much to promote your cause, no matter how noble your intentions might be...

which leads me to wonder... does chalk write on stop signs?  

[[blunt.object]]

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces