Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Girl Singer or Boy Singer? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

It sounds better with...
  A guy singing
  A girl singing
  Doesn't really matter
View Results

CaramelStripes111

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:11 pm
Ok, I've been thinking about this for the past few days.

We all have our favorite AMVs about our favorite pairings and stuff, right? But I was wondering: in your opinion, do shonenai/yaoi AMVs work better with a male singer or a female singer? Every time I think about it, this comes up.

MALE SINGER
idea Realistic since the two people involved in the pairing are guys
question Usually in a male singer's song, it's directed to a girl (sometimes). It would make sense to use your imagination to make the song seem directed to a guy, but some songs wouldn't work (like rap songs sung by ***-addicted rappers).

FEMALE SINGER
idea The song is directed to a man so it works out.
question It's a woman's voice and there's no girl in the pairing. If it was a love triangle, yes, but if it was just two people in a Yaoi pairing, the singing somewhat throws off the reality.

Ok, I know it sounds dumb for me to be thinking about something like this with such depth, but you can say your opinion.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:09 pm
hmnn... thats a good point... i really don't kno.... like you said it really depends... i think maybe... maybe... xp i don't kno!! haha.. i'll get back to you on that!! lOL...  

Andromeda3173

Mystical Neko

10,800 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Frozen Sleuth 100

retice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:54 pm
Actually, I think this same question to myself every single time I watch an AMV. Same pros and cons, too.
The thing is, I tend to dissmiss the thought after a second or two as long as it works.
For example, with a boy singer, as long as he never mentions a name or a female suffix, I can easily imagine he's singing about a boy. If he does mention a girl, though, It'll bother me.
For example, I would have huge issues with the song "Hey There, Delilah" in a yaoi AMV.
With a girl singer, I'll really appreciate it if the lyrics are appropriate for the pairing. For example, I don't want to hear the Avril Lavigne "Girlfriend" song along to SasuNaru.
... no wait, yes I do. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:21 pm
I honestly haven't thought about it... -shrugs- it never really mattered to me because
1- If the song fits the scene then perfect. ^^
2-If the song doesn't fit then of course it would throw it all off
3- I'm part of an all bi/gay male band named shinigami's tenshi. All of our songs are about guys loving guys. Heck they can even be construed as girls loving guys or even girls loving girls (not thinking about that... sweatdrop

But I'll pay more attention and give you a more solid response when I can some up with one. ^^  

N e v i n n o s t

Dangerous Hunter

Kya_Hanyou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:22 pm
I never really thought about this, good point though....^.^  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:50 pm
Male singers are very good for BL AMVs. I think it sounds ridiculous if a GIRL sings a love song when they're actually two guys sweatdrop
But some I like. Like this puzzleshipping AMV that was really good, and it had "1000 Miles" by Vanessa Carlton.

User_2629207

Xechiel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:01 am
well I don't know...I think maybe it depends on the yaoi couple the song is matched up with. like if there both kinda cute and uke-ish then probably a girl and maybe if they are kinda seme-ish then a guy singer would be better. but if one is completly seme and one is completly uke then I REALLY DON't KNOW!!! sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:29 am
I like it better when a girl sings : D
Particularly Ayumi Hamasaki.
She rocks my world.
heart

r3veRse[Psych0]loGy`Pix!e

lola_tenshi

Distinct Citizen

4,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:38 am
It doesn't really bother me, whether it's a male or female singer. I usually just care about the song and if it fits the two characters. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:50 am
redninjagoddess92
It doesn't really bother me, whether it's a male or female singer. I usually just care about the song and if it fits the two characters. sweatdrop

Same here, to me it depends on the lyrics and the melody. Doesn't matter who sings it! Well.. unless it's someone like Paris Hilton, then forget it. stare  

SilverMaple
Crew

Sparkly Lover

MinaMouse

Magnetic Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:04 pm
Just in general, I like male-sung music better. Maroon 5 and Scissor Sisters are my bands of the moment.

But I'd really love an AMV to Regina Spektor's "Fidelity". It's so cute!  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:43 pm
Doesn't matter to me as long as they sing it well and the lyrics go with the video.  

[Romiette]

Aeriael

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:10 pm
Typically, I'd say that I would like a male singer more. I just don't like many female singers. And, as stated before, it's just plain weird to have a girl singing behind pictures of a realtionship or wahetever for two guys. I dunno, it just freaks me out.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:26 am
good point i never though about that and i would have never thought about it~nya~ heart  

xX-Lloromannic-Xx

Fido-s Revenge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:34 pm
SilverMaple
redninjagoddess92

Same here, to me it depends on the lyrics and the melody. Doesn't matter who sings it! Well.. unless it's someone like Paris Hilton, then forget it. stare

Ditto.
Paris Hilton = ick >.<

The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas