Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Brian Froud- Mused or Misused? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:44 am
Brian Froud's work has shaped a number of subcultures- inspired the reinvention of a multibillion dollar industry and kept me very entertained.

His book Faeries released over 25 years ago has seen it's art etched into flesh and faith. Somewhere between historical understanding and UPG, the book springboarded his work into the spotlight, bringing him out of the shadow of Jim Henson's studio and created a basis for a number of theologies based on relations with Otherlings.

So my question is this:
Does one consider his work to be Fiction and Fancy, or Fact and Faith?
Is to assume fact and base faith a form of misplaced insight?

Should Froud's works be a foundation of faith or for "Entertainment Purposes Only"?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:21 pm
hum.....a very interesting question. My fiance has "The Faire Oracle," which has his art work and he finds it very inspireing. To me on the other hand I find his art to be his idea of what faeries look like, which is not what I think they look like. Everyone has their own ideas of what that is. I've never acually read his book Faeries, so I'm not sure what is in it. I do think he is a very imaginitive man though.  

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100

Kaylara-Nightshade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:09 am
I'm going to say Entertainment Purposes Only. Too many people read something and just automatically accept it without even thinking about it.

Faeries are sweet and nice and never do anything bad? Okayyyy...  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:22 am
Brain Fround's drawings of Faries are not pretty and nice and cute and fluffy which is why I like them.

I also like the deck of tarot but would not used it personally.

I do think he has tapped into some forms of fey engery but there are many types.

I don't see how his work can be used as a foundation of faith, unless one was daft enough to try make creatures of fairey hobgoblins and all into something to be worshiped.

Worked with, cajoled, endured and yelled at sure but as a faith ?
Why that would be like.... oh i know

Quote:
Most witches don't believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occassionally. But they don't believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.

smile  

ShadowSharrow

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:00 pm
ShadowSharrow
sI don't see how his work can be used as a foundation of faith, unless one was daft enough to try make creatures of fairey hobgoblins and all into something to be worshiped.

Quote:
Most witches don't believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occassionally. But they don't believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.

smile
Pratchett for the win. biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:23 am
Kaylara-Nightshade
I'm going to say Entertainment Purposes Only. Too many people read something and just automatically accept it without even thinking about it.

Faeries are sweet and nice and never do anything bad? Okayyyy...

In addition to Bright Faeries, Froud displays in his book a disturbing gallery of Dark Faeries. Anyone believing that monsters such Nucklavee, Spriggans, Redcaps, and Jack-in-Irons are sweet, cuddly, and adorable Faerie Folk can call upon them with my blessings.
Just don't mess with Liannan...

godhi

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:28 am
What I'm wondering is why would anyone write a book on the Fae in the first place? I haven't read these illustrious Froud books, but what exactly does he feel he's trying to accomplish?

If it's supposed to be some sort of compendium of Otherworld folk, he's gonna need at least three hundred volumes... confused  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:28 am
Pelta
What I'm wondering is why would anyone write a book on the Fae in the first place? I haven't read these illustrious Froud books, but what exactly does he feel he's trying to accomplish?

Maybe they asked him to smile

Pelta
If it's supposed to be some sort of compendium of Otherworld folk, he's gonna need at least three hundred volumes... confused

It's not.

He also responsible for concept art for sevral movies including the dark crystal and labyrinth.  

ShadowSharrow

Pelta

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:38 am
ShadowSharrow
Pelta

It's not.

He also responsible for concept art for sevral movies including the dark crystal and labyrinth.

Oooh! I knew the name sounded familiar! Ah yes his artwork is amazing. 3nodding

I'm going to reserve judgement on his other works because I haven't read them.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:59 am
Oh my gosh I LOVE Brian froud! I literally have a copy of 'the faeries oracle' in front of me which I have just finished reading.
His artwork is truly awe inspiring. I don't think I'd look twice at his work without those amazing pictures.

That said, I don't think his books are fact and are to be used in serious work. I certainly don't. Fiction based on fact, as it were!
I do believe they are based on fact and his own beliefs, but he makes them a little more...fictional, to go with the fairytale style artwork smile
Almost as if you were explaining something to a child but you turn it into a story wink Make sense?

As for whoever said about how he draws faeries. He draws wings to represent air, legs to represent earth, and some other things to represent water and fire(I forget what).

I read his books purely for entertainment and his really innocent outlook on the fae.  

patch99329

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:11 pm
Neko_Bast
I find his art to be his idea of what faeries look like, which is not what I think they look like.
Could it be you are looking at two different beings?

Kaylara-Nightshade
Too many people read something and just automatically accept it without even thinking about it.
Would you suggest that this would apply to those who do not take it merely at face value, but as a suppliment to other information?

ShadowSharrow

I also like the deck of tarot but would not used it personally.
He doesn't have a tarot deck last I checked.

Quote:
I don't see how his work can be used as a foundation of faith, unless one was daft enough to try make creatures of fairey hobgoblins and all into something to be worshiped.
Faith is not always limited to worship. A very clear analogy would be the Angels of YHVH.

Quote:

Quote:

smile
I actually dislike that Pratchette quote. While it works wonderfully in his fiction it's application in the real world falls very short. After all, many heathens and pagans do have doubts and question their beliefs as well.

Presence and nature of the gods amongst those issues faced.

Pelta
What I'm wondering is why would anyone write a book on the Fae in the first place?
Lots of reasons.

Money.

They asked him to (as Shadow pointed out- and as the World of Froud news letter would suggest).

For fun.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:30 pm
TheDisreputableDog
ShadowSharrow
sI don't see how his work can be used as a foundation of faith, unless one was daft enough to try make creatures of fairey hobgoblins and all into something to be worshiped.

Quote:

smile
Pratchett for the win. biggrin

Terry Pratchett the writer or some other reference? If you do refer to the author, I think I missed the connection. Other than the fact that he has a very interesting take on stereotypical fantasy creatures and settings.

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:13 pm
Sir_Catherine

Terry Pratchett the writer or some other reference? If you do refer to the author, I think I missed the connection. Other than the fact that he has a very interesting take on stereotypical fantasy creatures and settings.

She's quoting Witches Abroad. The assertion is (without putting words in anyone's mouth), that Witches don't need to have "faith" in the Fae- they have gnosis.

Myself, I like the quote in Moving Pictures about magic the best.

Moving Pictures
There's a lot of loose thinking about magic. People go around talking about mystic harmonies and cosmic balances and unicorns, all of which is to real magic what a glove puppet is to the Royal Shakespeare Company.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:35 am
In this same theme, I had the pleasure of meeting the person who did the storywork and the Rune Poems for the Runes of Elfland.

He posed an interesting insight-

The Rune Poems for the different Futharks are not identical. Further- the individuals who wrote them were inspired poets.

Is it not to follow, that in the culture we live in, that he could be just as inspired by the Rune's Mysteries as the Anglo-Saxon or Icelandic poets?  

TeaDidikai

Hybrid Jewel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:06 am
TeaDidikai
In this same theme, I had the pleasure of meeting the person who did the storywork and the Rune Poems for the Runes of Elfland.

He posed an interesting insight-

The Rune Poems for the different Futharks are not identical. Further- the individuals who wrote them were inspired poets.

Is it not to follow, that in the culture we live in, that he could be just as inspired by the Rune's Mysteries as the Anglo-Saxon or Icelandic poets?

I tend to agree with that insight. After all, I don't think inspiration is a process that stopped with ancient people. I think new interpretations of any ideas are always there for someone that might be inspired to pursue them.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff