Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Conversion Corner (Big and Small) Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Frogr1701

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:16 pm
I decided to open this topic so we all could discuss custom armies with a unique theme, character, squad, or individual model and would like to share them. Or this is for anyone who wants to talk on how to achieve certain effects by mixing bitz, parts, and paint for conversions. I am afraid that I am not extremely adept at conversions but I do try. There is plenty of room for criticism (constructive and friendly of course), hints, suggestions, ideas, and feedback.

I guess I'll go first to give an example: The third army I collected was Imperial Guard. I wanted something different so I consulted with someone I met who I now call friend, who is a teacher, history buff, and a GW Outrider. He helped me achieve a Civil War theme using the old Mordian Iron Guard models. Mine are modeled after the Union. Among my conversions are all the heavy weapons fitted with Warhammer Fantasy wagon wheels, old Praetorian Guard musicians for my comm-links, and a not so heavily converted Chaos Defiler to look like the giant spider from Wild Wild West. I do have a set of three gatling guns which are converted from old heavy bolters: I cut the side magazines off and glued them with plastic bitz at an angle to achieve a "magazine hopper/feed" look to them and used the assault cannons from the Land Raider Crusader and attached them to the end of the muzzle of the heavy bolter. I then took whatever plastic parts I could scrounge to add a crank. My foot troops are correctly color coded to match infantry, artillery, and cavalry divisions.

My current project now is purchasing Empire Militia and Bretonnian Knights to build my cavalry: using the Bretonnian Knight lowers, horses and legs, and the upper bodies of the Militia since the sprues have sabers, pistols, and vests. Then adding grenades and lasguns. I may also consider converting my tanks to run on "steam" using cannons as smokestacks.

Whew, long message for the first post on the topic. But I hope this has given you some idea of what I would like to see here from others.

UPDATE AS OF 9-19-2005: Completed 8 cavalry models. No more, that was a pain in terms of money and conversion. Not very cost effective.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:23 pm
i made the emperors champion into a librarian and 2 marines into mutant tyranids.  

General VonCarstein

Frogr1701

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:24 pm
Go on, explain in detail if you can about what exactly you did to make your Champion a Psyker, and the 'Nid mutations.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:26 pm
I'm trying to find a way to convert plastic Crux Terminatus shoulderpads into Word Bearers' elite shoulder pads for some of the named characters in my WE army (long story- they left the WB to look for better Khorne worship).

I'm thinking about filing/cutting/clipping the top crossbar of the crux off and sculpting flames out of green stuff. Has anyone tried anything similar to this?

Also looking for ideas about how to convert a O'Shova into a Greater Daemon.  

darth603

Cagalli Yura Attha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:27 pm
I made a poxy putty "flask" for a valhallan captain model and had him holding it for a games workshop diorama once. I called it "Clear as vodka"... and it had this drunk valhallan officer drinking from the flask, looking tipsy, with a big ork nob about to cleave his head off from behind. xd Dumb russian.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:31 pm
well, i took 2 bolters and glued them together to form a storm bolter and i gave him a jumppack. also his armor has a lightning pattern to it. my nids are a tad more impressive, i took marine torsos, and on one, i carved off the front and glued a chaos land raider lascannon cover to it, and on the place where the hyelmet goes, i took a berzerker skull trophy and glued it lopsided onto that area of the neck. i took scything talons and glued them to the arms (the space marine arms) and glued a chainsword to the marine hand. for legs i took tau legs. fore the second mutant, i glued another lascannon cover to the neck and gave it rending claws. i took another skull and glued the chain to the bottom instead of the top so it looks like a spinal cord. i put an axe in one claw and the skull in the other, i also glued on 2 marine arms to make it look like he was still mutating adn also used tau legs.  

General VonCarstein

darth603

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:34 pm
Cagalli Yura Attha
I made a poxy putty "flask" for a valhallan captain model and had him holding it for a games workshop diorama once. I called it "Clear as vodka"... and it had this drunk valhallan officer drinking from the flask, looking tipsy, with a big ork nob about to cleave his head off from behind. xd Dumb russian.
LOL. Priceless.

That reminds me of a diorama I saw of some Guard dudes eating lunch (with the commisar grilling some choice Tyranid limbs...), and not realizing they're about to get overrun by the bugs.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:36 pm
well, its been called a cheap-a** conversion by SOMEONE, but i made a bolter turret out of 2 SM shoulder pads and a bolter.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Cagalli Yura Attha

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:39 pm
ooh, ooh, Love of green stuff.. my next project is to convert some Catachan plastics into the flood from the computer game, Halo...
Just so they can run around games tables and attack EVERYONE.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:14 pm
Cagalli Yura Attha
ooh, ooh, Love of green stuff.. my next project is to convert some Catachan plastics into the flood from the computer game, Halo...
Just so they can run around games tables and attack EVERYONE.
eek Dang it, that was my idea for a plague zombie army crying  

darth603

Drachyench

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:29 pm
I am trying to make a samus model for warhammer. Will use parts from dark eldar Incubi and strining scorpions, plus a converted head from sisters of battle.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:54 pm
I saw a guy who converted an entire ork army, so that instead of sluggas and choppas, they had rolled up newspapers and cell phones. It looked awesome. biggrin  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

General VonCarstein

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:02 am
im going to make a master chief marine model.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:54 am
Everyone I know is doing that, the only reason I am doing samus is she isn't popular. Plus, The rules would be pretty good.  

Drachyench

General VonCarstein

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:21 pm
it'd still be cool having the chief. i made a warrior a covenant elite. (with a lot of effort)  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff