Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

You are a[n]...
  Asian.
  Pacific Islander.
View Results

sheeohpaow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:44 pm

So, today we started SATs. And there was an "Ethnicity" box. It had African American, Latino, Native American/Alaskan Native, Asian, Pacific Islander/Hawaiin Native, White, and OTHER xDD. I colored in Asian, but when I told my friends later on, one of them said I was technically a Pacific Islander. I'm a Filipina [from the Philippines]. SO, I'm confused. Am I Asian, or a Paific Islander. The Philippines is in Asia, but on the right side of the islands is the Pacific Ocean.

What am I?
    crying

Answer: I'm Asian.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:47 pm
ehhhh... other?!

you can color either/neither.

PICK OTHER!!!  

Chinese Chami

sheeohpaow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:50 pm
ChineseChami
ehhhh... other?!

PICK OTHER!!!

xDD
    My teacher said color other if you don't know your ethnicity...
    I was all "I know my ethnicity. I'm not stupid."
    But now... maybe I shoulda colored in both of them.
    >;3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:51 pm
sheeohpaow

So, today we started SATs. And there was an "Ethnicity" box. It had African American, Latino, Native American/Alaskan Native, Asian, Pacific Islander/Hawaiin Native, White, and OTHER xDD. I colored in Asian, but when I told my friends later on, one of them said I was technically a Pacific Islander. I'm a Filipina [from the Philippines]. SO, I'm confused. Am I Asian, or a Paific Islander. The Philippines is in Asia, but on the right side of the islands is the Pacific Ocean.

What am I?
    crying
Usually, there's a box or circle with "Asian/Pacific Islander" next to it. People generally do not differentiate between the two groups idea

Pacific Islanders include, among others, the Japanese, Filipinos, Malaysians, and Hawaiians.  

King Henry
Crew

sheeohpaow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:55 pm
King Henry
sheeohpaow

What am I?
    crying
Usually, there's a box or circle with "Asian/Pacific Islander" next to it. People generally do not differentiate between the two groups idea

Pacific Islanders include, among others, the Japanese, Filipinos, Malaysians, and Hawaiians.

Are you serious?! xDDD
    I was teasing my Japanese friend that she was technically a Pacific Islander too.
    Aigoo, it's so confusing. TwT

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:55 pm
sheeohpaow
ChineseChami
ehhhh... other?!

PICK OTHER!!!

xDD
    >;3
Wouldn't it be wrong? gonk I'm not sure about your ethnicity, but you get points for spelling your name correctly. If you spell your name wrong, no points for you. You could make a zero on the SAT...  

King Henry
Crew

sheeohpaow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:57 pm
King Henry
sheeohpaow
ChineseChami
ehhhh... other?!

PICK OTHER!!!

xDD
    >;3
Wouldn't it be wrong? gonk I'm not sure about your ethnicity, but you get points for spelling your name correctly. If you spell your name wrong, no points for you. You could make a zero on the SAT...

SHHHH!
    You shouldn't say stuff like that. xDD
    If anything like that happened to me,
    my parents would kill me.
    DISOWN me probably. >;[

Anyways, I think I spelt my name right..
    *thinks*
    Chyeah, I did.
    8]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:07 pm
eh...both??  

Bai_Sango

Rebirth Project

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:10 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ninja User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

One more night , I wanna be with you
Where I wanna hold you tight…

You should have checked Asians and Pacific Islander. 3nodding

In Canada, I don't think we have SATs.

It feels so right
To
night…

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:20 pm
I usually put "Pacific Islander/Alaskan Native" for standardized tests because I remember having it clarified that "Asian" refers to EAST Asians of the Asian race, while "Pacific Islander" refers to Asians of the Malay race, which includes Filipinos, Indonesians, etc., but does not include the Japanese, Chinese, Thai, etc. because their ancestry is from mainland Asia, not the islands in Asia.  

Ceyon

Jelai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:35 pm
!@#$%.
This is why I absolutely hate the U.S. census thingy.
gonk

You people SERIOUSLY need to go back to school and retake your course on geography and World History.

Filipinos = SOUTHEAST ASIANS.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

As you can see, the Philippines is NOT in the Pacific Ocean.

Sure, it's an archipelago of 7,000 islands, but
it's just near the Pacific Ocean. It does not border it.

same with Japan, Taiwan, Singapore, Indonesia, Borneo...etc.

Goodness, even my World History Honors class knows what we are, and yet sadly, many Filipinos themselves don't know what they are. =/

I've been taught all my life that we're Asian, and it will remain that way.

So Asian pride! ya xp

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:39 pm
Ceyon
I usually put "Pacific Islander/Alaskan Native" for standardized tests because I remember having it clarified that "Asian" refers to EAST Asians of the Asian race, while "Pacific Islander" refers to Asians of the Malay race, which includes Filipinos, Indonesians, etc., but does not include the Japanese, Chinese, Thai, etc. because their ancestry is from mainland Asia, not the islands in Asia.

Then what about people from India and other parts of South Asia?
confused

In the UK, they are considered Asians while the Chinese are considered 'Oriental/Chinese'. confused

Don't forget all of those people in the Middle East.
Some say they're Asian, some say they're not.

ah screw this.
Persians are Asians are Iranians.

(300 movie much? ninja )

Jelai

Isako Narumi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:55 pm
.__. Asians at my school don't count Filipinos as "asians;" they say that we're Pacific Islanders. One of my filipino friends said that it's because we're not part of the continent. =.= But they count Japanese people as "asians" and they're not even part of the continent as well as the other countries you have mentioned.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:58 pm
Filipinos say they`re "Pacific-Islanders" but you guys still fall under Asian. Well that`s what i hear.

All my friends that are flip get all hyped up when someone calls them Asian stare

Michie`s Flips Inc.

metamonkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:05 pm
i dont know about you guys but in my area there is a "Filipino" box thats equal to blacks, whites and hispanics. but if you're some other kind of asian, then you'd have to bubble in a sub-bubble in th asian category.  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff