Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

do you like this topic?
  yes
  no
View Results

rosalind_spencer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:43 pm
yesterday (4-18-06), many students around the nation observed a day of silence to protest the discrimination gay, lesvian, bi-sexual, and transgender people face. we were silent to shaow that many gays are afraid to speak out because of the discrimination they might face........the students at my school carrie cards that read:

Please understand my reasons for not speaking today. I am participating in the Day of Silence, a national youth movement protesting the silence faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and the allies. my deliberate silence echos that silence, which is caused by harassment, prejudice, and discrimination. i belive that that ending this silencei s the first step toward fighting these injustices.. think about all the voices you are not hearing today. What are you going to do to end the silence?

i was just wondering if anyone else out there participated....and i would appritiate any comments you woud like to make in the subject.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:49 pm
Well, I am bi so I don't ever discriminate...  

RedRosez

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:50 pm
That sounds like a very well thought out and organized movement.

Too bad I can't do that at work...-_-* I think I would loose my job. Still it's nice to hear about something like that. Did it work out well, or did teachers force students to speak at any point in time that you know of?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:54 pm
no, not that i know of, but my band director said he thought what we were doing was great and offered to sponser us if we needed it....... i did hear of some kids getting picked on though, me and a guy in astronomy class were made fun of for doing it, and the guy i sit nxt to started hitting me with a cabel thing trying to make me say some thing, but the teacher got mad at him. im just glad that people are willing to bring awareness to subjects like this.  

rosalind_spencer

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:58 pm
rosalind_spencer
no, not that i know of, but my band director said he thought what we were doing was great and offered to sponser us if we needed it....... i did hear of some kids getting picked on though, me and a guy in astronomy class were made fun of for doing it, and the guy i sit nxt to started hitting me with a cabel thing trying to make me say some thing, but the teacher got mad at him. im just glad that people are willing to bring awareness to subjects like this.

It's a bit of an invevitabilty that some people would do things to be rude or obnoxious, but I congratulate you on keeping your cool and supporting something that you care deeply about. 3nodding
It's also really nice that your band director was understanding and supportive. It sounds like he deserves a thank you card or something.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:05 pm
I was the only bi person to do this, none of the others did.... I felt proud of myself. But I got in troulbe for insabordination and got 4 detentions but it was worth it!  

madwitch501

rosalind_spencer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:10 pm
lurichan
rosalind_spencer

It's a bit of an invevitabilty that some people would do things to be rude or obnoxious, but I congratulate you on keeping your cool and supporting something that you care deeply about. 3nodding
It's also really nice that your band director was understanding and supportive. It sounds like he deserves a thank you card or something.

yeah, my band director is the coolest teacher ever....we are just glad we have teachers to back us up  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:12 pm
madwitch501
I was the only bi person to do this, none of the others did.... I felt proud of myself. But I got in troulbe for insabordination and got 4 detentions but it was worth it!

quiet a few people participated at my school but i was the only one di=oing it in many of my classes....but im glad to know others participated  

rosalind_spencer

a_sin_for_him

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:34 pm
I didn't even know about this, But For all those who participated, Thanks!...
I knwo what it's like to be discriminated or put down for being gay! And I know how hard it can be to speak out... coming out was the hardest thing I've ever had to do!!...
So Thanks again!... smile  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:40 pm
What a great idea! We don't have that in Australia. Good on you!  

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

Particle Wad

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:01 pm
Oh man if I knew about that I woulda participated. I always know things a day late though. Even on April fool's day I didn't find out the platinum halos were fakes and that it was April fool's day till the day after that. But back on the subject I do wish I was involved in that. I congradulate you for participating, and anyone else who did ^^  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:44 pm
if they'd had that back when i was in school (the stone age) i woulda so participated  

ketchakik

Malakoi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:46 pm
Only a small group of students at my school participated but there were about 11 teachers who were silent as well. I'm very pleased that my school's GSA is organized and in-the-loop about such things.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 12:50 pm
I participated...by myself. I go to Catholic school,so yeah, we don't have any GSA's or anything. I tried to get my friends to do it with me the day before but they all said it'd be too hard not to talk for so long. Stereotypical girls. neutral  

MediaclCunt

blackfoxi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:09 pm
rosalind_spencer
yesterday (4-18-06), many students around the nation observed a day of silence to protest the discrimination gay, lesvian, bi-sexual, and transgender people face. we were silent to shaow that many gays are afraid to speak out because of the discrimination they might face........the students at my school carrie cards that read:

Please understand my reasons for not speaking today. I am participating in the Day of Silence, a national youth movement protesting the silence faced by lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and the allies. my deliberate silence echos that silence, which is caused by harassment, prejudice, and discrimination. i belive that that ending this silencei s the first step toward fighting these injustices.. think about all the voices you are not hearing today. What are you going to do to end the silence?

i was just wondering if anyone else out there participated....and i would appritiate any comments you woud like to make in the subject.

yeah, the people participating in my school this year had those cards too.
i was wondering, in my school, we wore all black with a white ribbon, it symbolized something (to do with silence), but i forgot exactly what. and i was wondering if any other schools or gsa'a did this as well.

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff