Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Back to Guilds

Reply Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People
Foreign Exchange Student Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Foreign Exchanges: which one applies to you?
  I will be going on an exchange/am on an exchange/was on an exchange
  I thought about doing it, but never went ahead with it
  The idea never crossed my mind before
  I'd never want to go on an exchange
View Results

Ceyon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:09 pm
I seem to be the only one floating around here who is into the whole idea of foreign exchanges. Anybody else out there I've missed who shares this dream/interest?

I'm 15 years old, and I'm a sophomore in high school in the United States. I've told my parents that I want to do an exchange, and they said that unless I take a "gap year", which is deferring college for one year after graduating to participate in an exchange, they won't let me go. I've agreed to this because if I don't make this compromise, then I won't be allowed to go at all (and they won't pay the ~$6,000 for the trip, heh heh).

I want to go to Japan. If, God forbid, I can't go there, I'm planning on going somewhere in Asia. I will have to wait through my entire junior year before I can apply, though, because applying two years before the departure date is a bit... much.

So, tell me what you think of that, and tell me about your little stories if you have any.
wink  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:20 pm

I think being an exchange student would be cool, but I'd be so lonely, scared, and shy. Plus, it'd take me years to learn how to speak the language, so I'd probably fail all my classes.
    D:

sheeohpaow

flip.renegade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:00 pm
I'd love to be an exchange student >w< I want to go to the University of Hawaii and they have AWESOME exchange programs to asian nations >w< My friend found a great all girls school in Japan that has a really good foreign exchange program. If you'd like information on it I could try getting it for you Ceyon.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:36 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.~~~ heart
Teehee, I'll be doing an exchange program this summer for 3 weeks. It's just a short trip... Though the cost is pretty high, around $4,000. I'll be going to Japan.

heart ~~~User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

[~Lam~]

Playful Lunatic

7,600 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Conventioneer 300

oh `chaste

Smoker

6,550 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:34 am
I'd love to be a foreign exchange student. I don't think my parents wouldn't foot the cost though. sad  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:24 am
we had an exchange student at my house before. from spain i think.  

o-re-sa-ma_Elegance

Rebirth Project

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:25 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ninja User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

One more night , I wanna be with you
Where I wanna hold you tight…

I could have been an exchange student back in grade 6. My school [acutally everyone in grade 6] was pretty lucky since we got to have an exchange with students from Vancouver, [I live in Quebec]. My parents didn't want me to participate since they were and still are very overprotectives. "What if they kidnapp you?! What if they RRRRAAAAPEEEEE you?!?!?!?!", that were their reasons. D:

But from all the people who did the exchange told they just loved it. 3nodding

It feels so right
To
night…

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:03 am
Quote:
I think being an exchange student would be cool, but I'd be so lonely, scared, and shy. Plus, it'd take me years to learn how to speak the language, so I'd probably fail all my classes.
D:

Actually, not so. If you haven't done your research, you wouldn't know this, but credits for foreign exchange students don't transfer over, and the (possibly) failing grades you get abroad don't show up on your transcript at all. And so it's all good. You can focus on learning the official language without having to worry about getting bad grades for not understanding lectures or anything like that. Really, if that were the case, nobody would even want to go on an exchange because they'd be too worried about ruining their GPA. blaugh

Quote:
I'd love to be an exchange student >w< I want to go to the University of Hawaii and they have AWESOME exchange programs to asian nations >w< My friend found a great all girls school in Japan that has a really good foreign exchange program. If you'd like information on it I could try getting it for you Ceyon.

flip.renegade, I love you. heart Tell me more! Is this program for high schoolers? Only sad thing: no drooling over Japanese guys in your classes if it's an all-girl's school. crying  

Ceyon

lollerskater123321

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:01 pm
I'd love to do it. I'd prefer somewhere I've never been before. So basically out of Asian. France,somewhere in Europe or Australia would be cool.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:11 pm
I would like it, maybe.
I'm just too shy and will most definitely be homesick.
;P

Sapphic Babe

XvXYuNiEXvX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:14 pm
OO that sounds cool, it never really crossed my mind before until now. xD It'll probably be really hard if no one knows how to speak english to wherever I decide to exchanged at, hmm, I'll think about. I doubt it my parents would let me though since I'm starting High School next year. xD I'm just I dunno I be WAY to shy around people and plus I'm usually quiet and also I get homesick easily if I don't like the place. Dx  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:59 pm

I've always loved the idea!
However, I know my parents have to support 10 other "children" and I can't speak Japanese really. >.<;
I've always wanted to go to Asia, though! :3
Maybe I'll try going after learning. >.<;;

PoppyLander

.twilight.symphony.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:26 pm
at my school they're doing an exchange student thing with a school in japan. i thought about it but i would have probably end up getting lost somewhere sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:08 pm
Its a nice idea but i would be scared to death because of the whole foreign environment xD  

makarian

.Mikemo Cat-Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:42 pm
Yeah, I'd love to be a foreign exchange student!...
Especially to places like Japan or China...
Or just any random Asian country...
OR FRANCE!!!...
But I'd be so scared as well >.<...

Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out