Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
<-[Yuki's Colouring Book]->[Updated 8/18--Picture Dump! <3] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Crayons?
  Yummy. <3
View Results

Yukiko Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:20 pm
Here's where I'll post my most recent CG's, WiP's, etc...
For critique and tips and what not. I'd really, really love help.
Comments are great, and they give me that warm, fuzzy, fresh-from-the-dryer-sock feeling, sure...But I really want to improve.
So yeah. ^^;

Disclaimer:Most of the Line-art used will NOT be mine. All of this line-art will have either been found in the Line-art-jam, or borrowed from the artist with their express consent to colour and display it.
I'll always post the artist's name above the picture, along with their website if they're not on gaia.

That's okay, right?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:21 pm
Line-Artist: Hoshizora Aona

User Image  

Yukiko Gemini

Yukiko Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:23 pm
Line-artist: Seven Jinn

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:43 am
You color well. I like how it looks dirty-ish. (don't know the right term) You should try making the line-art yourself too. Since you're here already, there will be lots of people who will help you out!  

Oblivious Mischief

Tricky Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100

Yukiko Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:34 pm
Aye, I do do my own line-art from time to time.
Unfortunately, I suck at digital inking and I can't find my inking pens...So, no new line-art for now.
Thank you, though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:00 pm
Some practice with my tablet...
Drew the line-art myself, coloured it myself.
Eh.
It could be better, but eh. xD;

User Image

Yukiko Gemini

Wispered

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:28 am
On your lineart, watch the proportions, his arm looks too skinny and too short for the rest of him.
I'm not super great with colouring, so I can't say much but the background seems to lack the depth that the character has. Maybe its a lack of shadows in some areas? I'm not sure.
You have a very interesting colouring style, as someone else said. The one thing I'd like to see is a touch more care with a few strokes, random ones seem not to blend well and it looks a bit sloppy but in a way that doesn't quite work. Example: The sky on this last one.
I hope that makes sense -_-  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:35 pm
It made perfect sense.~

Yes, I see what you mean about his arm--I didn't even notice that until you pointed it out, so thank you. x3;;
I have trouble keeping things in proportion when I'm drawing on my tablet, for some reason.

As for the background, um...Yeah. I half assed it...only half on purpose >.<;;
I usually do backgrounds first and paint/shade/detail them before I even start on the line-art.
But I wasn't planning to do a background for this one, but changed my mind once I was through with the line-art.
I get your point, though.
I have alot of trouble blending when it comes to skies, but I'll quickly admit that I should've put more effort into the sky.
Still, the main point of the drawing was the character, rather than the background, thus explaining my disinterest with the background.

...That sounds like an excuse.
A really long, really lame one.
So I'll remedy.
Next time, I'll put more effort into it.
Thank you for your critique, it's very helpful. ^^

Yukiko Gemini

Yukiko Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:12 pm
User Image

Pfwee.
Finally did some of my own line-art and coloured it.

I know that the proportions are majorly skewed [I started drawing him with a frontal PoV and skidded into a foreshortened top-view middrawing, something I should never do], but I like it anyways.
It's the first semi-dynamic drawing I've ever finished--I usually get fed up and quit half-way through.

Vusc-san is doing a draw-over for me on the proportions, but any and all critique would be loved. n__n
I'll be going back and smoothening out some of the rough Cg-parts later on, probably.
But for now, I'm happy with it.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:11 pm
User Image

I'm pleased with this one, even if the lines aren't mine...I love them. <3
Which is why I commish'd this fellow after finding out he was taking commisions. ^^

And I've devised a new process to help myself work further, even if I don't get any comments. xD; Ahah.

What I like: The girl's hair, the guy's outfit, the wood...ship...part...thing, their skin.

What I don't like: the girl's stockings, the lack-luster of the jewels [small lines make it practically impossible for the kind of detail I would've liked to use], the little out-of-lines here and there, how the lighting seems a little shabby, the lack-luster of the girl's nails [same issue as before, though this one possibly could be helped].

What I want to work on: Skin tones. I feel there could be some more high-lights on their skin [or at least the guy's] to make it seem more alive.
Also, lighting. I have a lot of trouble identifying and utilizing light-sources without real-life subjects, I feel...the light source is ambiguous and vague in this picture. I meant for it to be coming from the front/viewer.

What I feel I've improved on: Shading skin-tones with complementary colours to achieve a deeper shadowed effect. Now, if only I could incorporate this into clothing, as well...

Tips, comments, and critiques are all welcome and loved...I know it may be a bit difficult to critique CG work, but still. I'd like some help, if anyone can offer it.
Even simple things like...What colours I could've chosen differently to better the flow of the picture, or how the shadows could've better emphasized the character's expression or physical attributes.
Stuff like that.

<3

Yukiko Gemini

Arachnist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:06 pm
I'll attempt to critique, even though you're probably better at cg'ing then I am.

I can't help you much with the lighting issue, but I do think that you need more cast shadows to add more depth...for example, since the light is coming from the viewer, you could add cast shadows ((shadows with harder edges)) near their collars, behind the guy's jacket, on his shirt, etc. If you wanted to make the shading even more intense, you could add cast shadows on the girl's face, caused by her nose, or on her ribbons, caused by her face...

Also, after looking at the style you used for this, and getting an idea of the feel you were going for, I think you could use blend more colors in the clothes. I think you addressed this in "What I feel I've improved on". I do agree that your skin is quite gorgeous, especially since you added to different shades. You should use this idea on your clothes...like..a pink or red tinge on her dress and a purple one on his jacket. You could also add a purple tinge to her green frill, because of the reflected colors...

Umm...xP I'm so bad at this.

Oh yeah, one last thing. For her boots, to create a sense that it's more leathery, I would make highlights brighter, and have one or two really bright reflections ((in the form of dots or lines...)) I actually think it looks good now; just increase the contrast?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:55 am
Ahh--hard shadows would be a good idea. Hadn't thought about it, or rather, hadn't attempted it [yet]--my blending style usually eliminates it, but I'll see if I can work on that.

And--if you'll note the slight yellow on his pants [and there was some on the coat but I managed to get rid of it]--I tried to do that, but rather obviously failed.~
I'll keep trying, though. It's actually rather harder than it looks/seems [hate it when that happens].

Ohh, good point about the boots.~
If I ever get around to it, I'll try and add that in. xD;

Thank you for the critique, I really appreciate it. <3
[Even if it took me ages to get around to responding.]

Yukiko Gemini

Yukiko Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:01 am
My own lines again.~

A successful attempt [I hope] at breaking my artist's block. <3

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:41 pm
||-{The waitress is practicing politics, while the businessmen slowly get stoned...}-||

User Image

My own lines, a commish for .Antique Heartbeat.
I like how it turned out.

And yes, I know the eyes are...extremely large.
She asked for it like that.

||-{...They're all drinking from a cup they call 'Loneliness', but it's better than drinking alone.}-||

Yukiko Gemini

n i k i e h l

4,500 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:00 pm
Honestly. I love your skin-coloring. The basic tones and the contrasts. Love it.

I'm not a pro, but I'm just a little confused why you don't apply that same coloring style to the rest of the picture. Like on Line-artist: Seven Jinn. That's a really good finished work.

You can see base, lights and darks all throughout the image, while most don't have that (just on their skin tone).
I hope you understand what I mean lol n____________________n

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces