Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Why is HE seme?? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like it when semes and ukes switch places?
  Yeah, I think it's hot.
  No! Seme is seme and uke is uke, and that's the way it should always be.
  I don't really care...
View Results

asphyxiatemysoul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:57 pm
Have you ever seen fanworks of a certain pairing and thought, Why is that guy seme? It should be the other way around! Like Tamaki/Kyouya from Ouran, for example. Even though Tamaki is "Daddy" and Kyouya is "Mommy," I really don't think Tamaki should be seme. Kyouya's more controlled and Tamaki seems like such an uke to me, even when he's charming the ladies.
So let's discuss some pairings ya'll have seen that you think should be switched around. Or maybe you'd like to switch them just to see what would happen? Who knows, it could make for quite an amusing time. =P  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:05 pm
I have that problem with Ron Weasley.

WHY DOES EVERYONE MAKE HIM SEME???
;_;
He's such a uke in my mind, no matter what the pairing is.

I agree with you though that Tamaki doesnt seem much of a seme, but Tamaki/Kyouya///Kyouya/Tamaki is one of those pairings where I dont mind either way.

But I have a few characters to who just CAN NOT be seme in my mind no matter how hard I try to picture it.
Like Ron Weasley, Kaoru Hitachiin, and Duo Maxwell.
3nodding

iLull

Doglefox906

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:14 pm
Well in my opinion... i think that they should stay though i kinda agree with the kyouya/tamaki part but when tamaki get serious there is a possibility that he can be a seme ^^ 3nodding In other cases i think that a uke should stay as a uke and a seme a seme (excluding special cases as with the ron weasly part) Well but thats my opinion ^^ sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:07 pm
I do often question people's choice of tops or semes, but it's all a matter of personal taste. A lot of people are just stuck in stereotypes. They don't have the imagination or creativity to think outside of the box.

That said, you must also remember that in a real relationship the seme/uke positions are not set in stone. People actually switch! And not just "You get top one night, I get top the next night" politically correct sort of switch off. It seems that in yaoi people fall into the stereotypes and want to lock people into certain positions. Some people might have relationships where there is a clear top and a clear bottom, but people are capable of switching.

For instance, I think Duo is perfectly capable of being Heero's seme. That doesn't mean I wish to see Heero reduced to a weepy uke position. I think they can both maintain their manliness while switching out roles. And while I see Kyoya as the brains of the King/Queen pairing, I can also see him bottoming for Tamaki. Think of it as a strategic move. The bottom of a relationship has just as much power as the top. They are accepting that position and inviting the other to take pleasure in them. Unlike all the stupid rape fantasies floating around, if the bottom says no, someone's using their hand tonight.  

For-Chan Cookie
Captain

7,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200

Hoshi no Miko

Distinct Member

5,150 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:15 pm
For-Chan Cookie
I do often question people's choice of tops or semes, but it's all a matter of personal taste. A lot of people are just stuck in stereotypes. They don't have the imagination or creativity to think outside of the box.

That said, you must also remember that in a real relationship the seme/uke positions are not set in stone. People actually switch! And not just "You get top one night, I get top the next night" politically correct sort of switch off. It seems that in yaoi people fall into the stereotypes and want to lock people into certain positions. Some people might have relationships where there is a clear top and a clear bottom, but people are capable of switching.

For instance, I think Duo is perfectly capable of being Heero's seme. That doesn't mean I wish to see Heero reduced to a weepy uke position. I think they can both maintain their manliness while switching out roles. And while I see Kyoya as the brains of the King/Queen pairing, I can also see him bottoming for Tamaki. Think of it as a strategic move. The bottom of a relationship has just as much power as the top. They are accepting that position and inviting the other to take pleasure in them. Unlike all the stupid rape fantasies floating around, if the bottom says no, someone's using their hand tonight.

I must say, I really do love how you think. I'm not sure I can add to this, all I can say is I agree with it 100%  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:35 pm
For-Chan Cookie
A lot of people are just stuck in stereotypes. They don't have the imagination or creativity to think outside of the box.

That about it. Right there. =u= not much else to say really. I like many pairings that the sama and the uke are different then the stereotype.

Death PIague

Yui D Flowright

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:52 pm
a lot of people would say that Link from LoZ would be a seme, But in pairings like Dark LinkXLink (one of my faves) I think Dark link should be seme  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:01 am
I agree about the Tamaki/Kyouya thing, but I think, knowing those two, they switch from time to time >_>;

And some cannot be seme on yaoi pairings, it seems; personally, I think Harry should be the uke for almost every Harry pairing relating to him except for Harry/Ron. Then he takes control xD

As for the accusation that Kaoru from Ouran cannot be seme ever (said by S p a r k l e ), I actually saw a fanfic where he was on top for once... though is inexperience in the fanfiction made me giggle >w<

SharpCookies

retice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:03 am
I see this issue a lot in the Elricest community. Edward is the shorter one, but Alphonse is the younger one, but Edward has a more dominating personality, but Alphonse can be forceful too, etc etc. Often times in fanfiction, they do switch, and it's great fun to read XD
I personally love it when there's a struggle to see who tops in fanfiction, because everything I read is a slash pairing, and often times I can't imagine anybody really giving up the more "manly" role without a fight. They are boys. Eventually someone does win, but it's not an infinite role. Maybe next time they wont.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:13 am
asphyxiatemysoul
Have you ever seen fanworks of a certain pairing and thought, Why is that guy seme? It should be the other way around! Like Tamaki/Kyouya from Ouran, for example. Even though Tamaki is "Daddy" and Kyouya is "Mommy," I really don't think Tamaki should be seme. Kyouya's more controlled and Tamaki seems like such an uke to me, even when he's charming the ladies.
So let's discuss some pairings ya'll have seen that you think should be switched around. Or maybe you'd like to switch them just to see what would happen? Who knows, it could make for quite an amusing time. =P

I agree wholeheartredly, I think Kyouya is definetely more seme than Tamaki any day!!!  

Labtech Abi

Friendly Pumpkin

8,975 Points
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Elocutionist 200

asphyxiatemysoul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:24 pm
Thanks to everyone for their opinions! I hope people continue to post. ^_^ And For-Chan Cookie did bring up a good point about switching; that's why I personally like "seke" characters because they're versatile. <3  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:20 pm
Seme/Uke is a preference honestly. A very seme like character might want to be the uke because of a myriad of reasons. And not just the often used reason wanting to give up power for a while. I once read a Rude/Reno/Rufus story where Rufus said that he likes the attention one receives by being bottom. It made a hell of a lot of sense for him. The Shinras like power and attention. And the uke is the center of attention.

That same explanation fits Draco, who is always written as bottom to Ron. He's a selfish little brat. Of course he wants to be pleasured! rofl

Tamaki/Kyouya are more complex though. They both have a lot of qualities that one attributes to a seme since they're both being raised to be Alpha Males, leaders of companies. Kyouya might trust Tamaki enough to let him take him. Tamaki might love to give Kyouya such pleasure.

I think the most important part to remember when slashing is that these are men. Men who are usually quite capable of taking care of themselves and doing things on their own. The usual seme/uke stereotypes that fit so well in yaoi/BL manga don't necessarily work with characters like them.  

LadyNox
Vice Captain

Shadoworrior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:28 am
I have that problem with Draco/Harry they always make Harry the Seme and that dude just screams Uke while Draco screams Seme. But there are some stories where they make both Harry and Draco Sekes.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:13 pm
Hasunuma [seme] and Mitsuo [uke], from eerie queerie...the author actually makes them fight over who's on top...Mitsuo's definetsly Uke!! Seriously! Even Hasunuma says 'I've never really seen myself as the female...' Male pride is at stake here, of course...

I agree on the Ron/Harry thing...Harry's definetly Seme with Ron, Uke with Draco...

And to the Elric fan...Alphonse is mine...no, jk, it's just that incest is nasty...anyway, I hate fanfics with Edward being seme with Roy...I mean, Roy practically screams 'i'm seme, dammit' with every fiber of his being...and being short and kawaii, Edward should be uke...it's the natural order of things...otherwise...it's just...unnatural...

Itsuki Yatakiji

LadyNox
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:47 pm
Itsuki Yatakiji
and being short and kawaii, Edward should be uke...it's the natural order of things...otherwise...it's just...unnatural...

I donno. Roy's pretty short and kawaii, himself. rofl  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces