Reply Art / Poetry / Literature - Related Topics
Goth bible Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DarkPhsycotic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:03 am
Has anyone read the "goth bible"? I think the author is Nancy Kilpatrick.
If so what what did you think about it? Was it a worthwhile read?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:10 pm
no...where did you get it?  

Shadow Nightshade

bloodyandrea

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:05 pm
hmm.... i shall retreat and look for it!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:30 pm
It is a great book, but some people take it too seriously, and say that you have to do exactly as it says or you're not goth...

However, in the book it SAYS it's meant to be a guideline, not a rubric, and people in the goth culture should do whatever their blackened heart desires.  

Bloody Loon

kittysuccubus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:44 pm
Yes, I have that book. It's great reference and goes deeper into the goth culture. You don't NEED it, but it is a great book to keep.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:08 am
Oh, I was thinking about buying that one. I have to look for it at the store if it is good.  

Scathach789

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:30 pm
It's a decent book, but isn't one of the better available.

If you're looking for really good books on the goth culture, I suggest to you either:

"What Is Goth?" by Voltaire
The book is very entertaining, with a good sense of humor and no fear of the tongue-in-cheek. It's not an extremely informational book, but what it does bring forth is all quite accurate.

"Gothic Rock [Black-] Book" (and series) by Mick Mercer
If you want a TON of information and a detailed, comprehensive analysis of the goth culture, this is for you. Mercer has long been one of the best writers of the goth community. He's penned five or six books about the goth culture, starting with "The Gothic Rock Book". It's the first of the series and is most up-front with major information. If you can't get enough of Mercer's dry wit and highly informational content, as said, he's written multple books on the culture.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:53 am
Kaishi Kyouki
It is a great book, but some people take it too seriously, and say that you have to do exactly as it says or you're not goth...

However, in the book it SAYS it's meant to be a guideline, not a rubric, and people in the goth culture should do whatever their blackened heart desires.

That sounds neat.  

Loki Iago

Anxious Scamp

Toasterladd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:50 pm
its a pretty good read if its available, go ahead.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:26 am
I've been meaning to find a copy. smile  

ringwraith10

Snows Wyntre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Yes. It was a thouroughly good read with loads of useful information.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:28 am
It is a nice book with good information. The goth dancing bit makes me really laugh! rofl There are really entertaining bits in it.  

Disease of the Flesh

Bloody Loon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:04 pm
Yes, and seeing the extremes that people go to within the goth culture make my own slight rebellion (and insanity) look like a little shenanigan at best... kinda grounds me, you know?

But yeah, great book, tons of info, just don't make it that everything it says is law... There are variants, there are exceptions. Still very very good.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:20 pm
I just got it from the library today, and though I've only read a few chapters of it, I really like it. The author doesn't take herself too seriously, and also does a nice job of explaing HER view of goth. Obviously, some people may not agree with what she thinks, but it made me think more about my view of goth. I'd recommend it.  

SamuraiArren

Ende_Neu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:13 pm
I was wandering around my school library and found it in the religion section. After the initial giggles passed.. Well, I just couldn't take it very seriously at all after that. Not a horrible read though. After all, it wasn't meant to be much of a serious read anyway. I like Voltaire's books much better though, enough humor in them to make an actual point. (For me at least)  
Art / Poetry / Literature - Related Topics

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff