Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
` * Zero's SketchBook--UPDATED 7/19 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Z e r o`

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:30 pm
Hey. ^^
I hope to be able to learn a few things with this thread and the guild all together. I'll throw up some of my drawings when I want some feedback on them.
Here's some of my most recent ones:
[x] [x] [x]
[x] [x] [x]

I had a reference for the last one.

My WIP --> [x]

So pretty much these are my weaknesses...
~Poses
~Hands and feet
~Clothing folds
~Shading and depth

I hope you guys will be able to help me turn my weaknesses into strengths. :]
I mostly like to work with pencils, because I find that pencil art can be much more amazing than CG. However, I do have a tablet and love it very much. I just don't love my program, Corel Paint Shop Pro X. So my tablet is neglected, unforetunately. ><
I'd like to learn how to weild Prisma markers professionally as well as have smooth linearts when it comes to inking traditionally.

Oh, and here's my Sheezy if anyone's interested. [x]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:58 pm
A Little Bit of CC?

User Image

I'm not sure how precise I am anatomically, and I know the wrinkles in the shirt are wrong...Any comments or suggestions?

User Image

Male Anatomy Study

Z e r o`

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:34 pm
sweatdrop so sorry for the slow replies in here right now x_x I think people are just busy @o@

Anyhow, I really love your style biggrin It's so cute and looks ready to be animated.

The only suggestion I have for wip is for her back leg to be more straight because when people stand usually one leg is straight :3 unless you were having her in the middle of a curtsey or something @o@ <3

Can't wait to see it done <3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:36 am
T i r a e l
sweatdrop so sorry for the slow replies in here right now x_x I think people are just busy @o@

Anyhow, I really love your style biggrin It's so cute and looks ready to be animated.

The only suggestion I have for wip is for her back leg to be more straight because when people stand usually one leg is straight :3 unless you were having her in the middle of a curtsey or something @o@ <3

Can't wait to see it done <3

That's fine, I understand.
Thank you. =D
I tried positioning her leg straight, but it came out wonky, so I fell back on my default pose and bent it a bit. >>;
I'll go back and attempt another try at straightening the back leg.

Z e r o`

Z e r o`

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:19 pm
:3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:42 pm
Hi zero

For the anatomy bit of your piece, Do you do any life drawing? The best way to improve at anatomy is to observe real anatomy, that way when you bend the rules for stylization it will still be believable.
Right now, you have her arms a bit long, the elbow should fall to about the waist, right now its at the hip. I'd like to see a bit more shape in the arms.
For things like the arms, try it yourself, feel and see how things move. Her elbows on both arms would be up and back a bit, and the wrists would lift slightly in front of her upper arms. This will help your foreshortening a bit.
Her foreshortened foot is also too high, The heel should be bumped up to where the toe is. Foreshortning is all about overlap.

I'd like to say kudos though for tackling it and getting a lot of motion in your piece. Keep at it! ^_^  

Wispered

Z e r o`

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:27 am
Eejbeej
Hi zero

For the anatomy bit of your piece, Do you do any life drawing? The best way to improve at anatomy is to observe real anatomy, that way when you bend the rules for stylization it will still be believable.
Right now, you have her arms a bit long, the elbow should fall to about the waist, right now its at the hip. I'd like to see a bit more shape in the arms.
For things like the arms, try it yourself, feel and see how things move. Her elbows on both arms would be up and back a bit, and the wrists would lift slightly in front of her upper arms. This will help your foreshortening a bit.
Her foreshortened foot is also too high, The heel should be bumped up to where the toe is. Foreshortning is all about overlap.

I'd like to say kudos though for tackling it and getting a lot of motion in your piece. Keep at it! ^_^

Thank you for the advice. I've made the changes and I'll scan it in soon.
I haven't really done any life drawing, except for some ballerina pictures here and there, but I am going to dedicate my Spring Break to practicing different styles of art and possibly altering my style. 3nodding

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:51 pm
It's nice to see motion on your work!

I checked your WIP, It's nice! You need to work on balance though. The work is a little heavy on the left side. You can remedy it with a background or through color play. Put a little more "weight" on the right side to balance the drawing.

I hope you understood that. It's a little hard to explain.

Oblivious Mischief

Tricky Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100

Z e r o`

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:15 pm
Roscoe Reyes
It's nice to see motion on your work!

I checked your WIP, It's nice! You need to work on balance though. The work is a little heavy on the left side. You can remedy it with a background or through color play. Put a little more "weight" on the right side to balance the drawing.

I hope you understood that. It's a little hard to explain.

Thank you for the advice. ^^
I was going to add more characters to the right side, but I set the picture aside one day and haven't touched it since. >_o Though now that I've gotten a bit of feedback on it, maybe I'll start working on it again. n.n

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:07 pm
User Image

My most recent sketch that I'd like help with.
The hand that's holding the wine glass bothers me the most. I sketched and erased and sketched again many times, and this is what I just decided to go with. Any feedback on that would be very much appreciated.
His other hand bothers me, as well as the arm.
Feedback,please? :3

Z e r o`

n i k i e h l

4,500 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:12 pm
I'm not a pro for starters haha.
But I think the problem with his arms, is the elbow area. On "his" left arm, you can't really see his elbow, or at least some sign that makes you think that his elbow is a little bent to the back.

I actually have the same problems with drawing hands/fingers and feet/toes. Haha. But you can use some reference images to help you with that. Then you'll start to get a hang of it n_n

I also think his legs could be longer, otherwise it makes his torso seem unbalanced compared to his lower body.
>_<

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:06 pm
K r e e
I'm not a pro for starters haha.
But I think the problem with his arms, is the elbow area. On "his" left arm, you can't really see his elbow, or at least some sign that makes you think that his elbow is a little bent to the back.

I actually have the same problems with drawing hands/fingers and feet/toes. Haha. But you can use some reference images to help you with that. Then you'll start to get a hang of it n_n

I also think his legs could be longer, otherwise it makes his torso seem unbalanced compared to his lower body.
>_<

Thanks. ^^
I'll work on his elbow a bit.

I'm always hesitant to make the legs long as I usually end up making them too long. >< But I'll erase the legs and see what I can come up with. ^^

Z e r o`

Z e r o`

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:08 pm
User Image

Took some suggestions given at the WIPs subforum,cleaned up the lines a bit, and added some rough detail to the throne.

User Image

Most recent version. Changed the wine glass since someone else mentioned that it looked like it was balncing on his palm. I hope I fixed that illusion.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:43 pm
These are just some of my suggestions. If anyone sees a slight mistake on this, let me know as well xD

User Image

n i k i e h l

4,500 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Hygienic 200
  • Consumer 100

Z e r o`

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:05 pm
Oh,wow. Thank you, K r e e! ^^

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items