Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
[Dana]idae's Paper Packages [Updated: 4/22] Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Danaidae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:35 am

User Image
Hallo!

PROBABLY GOING ON A BRIEF HIATUS

I...need help. x3;; I find my art style isn't quite up to par so I'm trying to get past certain issues and I'm quite willing to use as many packages of paper as I need to [as efficiently as possible of course] *exaggerating*

Galleries: dA / 2draw Oekaki

Current Work in Progress: [On Hold]
[/img]

Large Version - This piece is pretty much done but at the time, when I had just finished, I was very unsatisfied with it. I've been planning to redo it someday and well, why not now? As you can see, I fail at both fashion and perspectives.

01--> WIP
02--> Me
03--> Random Crap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:54 am

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Hello!

I'm Danaidae but often called Dana or Dan [but that's usually only when I say it's alright to. ^^;]

Unfortunately, I'm still a high school student. :D *shot*

My high school is based on the Medical Field...so not much emphasis on art other than what we need to graduate [1 credit/year or so]

I'm not particularly fantabulous at art but I've been drawing since I was...*counts* somewhere around the ages of 5-9 years old. With major Sailor Moon influence, might I add. My style isn't entirely consistant and I will usually end up subconciously trying to imitate a style that I like. gonk

I also work with a MOUSE, much to my dismay, or traditional media + crappy scanner. I use PS CS2 for CG. For anything done traditionally, I use normal pencils [either mechanical or not are fine], regular around-the-house pens and a .02 micron, sakura permapaque markers, a willow green copic marker and anything else I can scrounge up.

I'm trying to get out of the habit of drawing cute.

Strengths:
Recognizing when something doesn't look quite right [fixing it is another thing altogether >>]
Faces - half of the time

I f4il at:
Anatomy
Perspectives
Overall composition

Danaidae

Danaidae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:56 am

User Image
Random stuff that happened to slip my mind.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:18 pm

User Image
LAST WIP:

No major projects for now. Check last page for latest sketches.

Danaidae

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:45 pm

Hey Dana!! biggrin !!

I'm really loving the concept of this picture as well as her expression *__*;; you did a really great job with that.

I just wanted to ask is she sitting on a swing? Is her lower body supposed to merge into a tree? X_x;; Anyhow I can't give any pointers on the bottom half since I'm not sure what she's doing X'D...

So here is my drawover:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v198/nini206/redline/Danaidae1.jpg

A few things I'd like to point out:
  • Her left (our right) arm's forearm is too long compared to her upper arm.. You may want to lengthen the upper part or make it look intentionally foreshortened. The hand there is also too big for her... unless that was also intentional in which case make it look more barkish? X'D.
  • Her chest is a bit misplaced. When you draw a torso remember that it not only has width, it also has a thickness. Right now it looks a bit concave. Sometimes I draw myself two vertical guidelines for a torso: one for the front and one for the spine just to help myself draw it in a 3-D way :'D. (you don't have to give her big boobs or anything I was just trying to illustrate my point XD'')
  • I'd also like to see more definition to the inner elbow of her right arm...
  • Lastly I didn't notice this when I did the drawover but does she have two left arms? o_O;; woops.

Keep it up and I can't wait to see it finished. biggrin
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:13 pm

I'm a bit questioning on her position. Is she on a swing? Since you said she was a tree, is she like... in full humanoid form at the moment and just starting to revert back to her true form? Hopefully I'm right on that 'cause it really does look like she's on a swing.

Anywho, it's a loverly pic, I really like the idea of tree who can turn humanoid, it's very imaginative I think; people usually choose animals and usually humans who turn into animals and not the other way around.

I agree with what Tirael has given you feedback on. I wanted to add, though, that the position of her hand and arm seem a bit strange. At least to me. I'd think that she'd be looking more directly at her hand and not just giving it a sideways glance, especially if she's alarmed or worried at the fact that she's reverting (I get that feeling from the expression on her face).

Regarding her face, I take it that's bark next to her mouth. For purely aesthetic reasons, I think that patch of bark should either be moved (place it maybe along her jaw), or removed from her face altogether. It's a distracting and takes away from the prettiness of her face.

Keep at it! I wanna see how it comes out. =D

Marissael

Danaidae

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:10 pm

@ Puddingpho/Tir: Yeah, she was supposed to be sitting in a swing since I wasn't satisfied with her just standing there. Not sure I like the swing idea anymore though xD;;

I was trying to make her arm look barkish but that doesn't seem to be working out right now. Not sure about the two left arms thing. I can't actually see it until my comp. is fixed because all images show up errored. Dx

Anatomy mistakes noted :]

Thanks for the drawover Tir~

@ Marissael: Yup, that'd be about right. 8'D;; And thanks!

And I'll keep the direction of her gaze in mind when I get the time to fix it up. >3<

Actually, mid-way when she reverts, she becomes this sort of monstrous tree (like an ent or some other form of tree-folk) for some time before she's an actual tree. The mouth-thing was meant to be a sort lengthening of the mouth (for lack of better wording >>; wink where it sort of rips apart like jagged bark (from where a lumberjack once tried to cut the tree down).

^makes no sense at all. Sorry!
Though, I see what you mean and will probably take your advice.

Thanks for the help guys! I hope I get to work on it soon. *busy with classes*
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:58 pm

Added new wip. @a@

Danaidae

Danaidae

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:25 pm

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

ideas for coloring
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:36 pm

User Image

Trying out a program called Pixia. It's much easier for me to use than OC though.

Danaidae

Xyirii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:48 pm

I <3 your art style. OC is evil for me...I have issues using it...Pixia works alot better. -nodnod.- Boy...do I know how you feel when it comes to using a MOUSE. I -just- got a tablet..only because I got a nice sum of funds for graduation..buuut....I still will gravitate towards my mouse from time to time just because it's what I am familiar with. I'm mainly a draw-out-then-scan kinda artist, though...I have more control that way XD

Anywho..I'd comment on art...but the points I noticed were already suggested. If you'd like any coloring tips when it comes time for you to shade/color it, I'd be more than glad to give some to you. 8D Good luck!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:38 pm

Thanks~

New update on some more recent work
User Image
Without color

Colored so that you can sort of see what is what in the actual sketch itself. I know the face is off so much but I don't really know how to fix it and redrawing faces/heads with a mouse makes me emowaffle. Her posture also looks way too stiff [it didn't when I had yet to draw on her clothing].

EDIT: I don't think that what I colored as the left arm is supposed to be her left arm. *wasn't paying attention* o__o;;

Critiques, drawovers, comments on colors, etc. would be awesome.

Danaidae

Chaotic Mana

Conservative Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:38 am

I can't see anything wrong with the face except the nose needs to be defined more in my opinion. I like the colour choice, but I definitely get lost in the torso as to what is what, though that could be because it is so rough. I think this also is what is affecting the pose and making it look stiff. Fiddle with it a bit and if worse comes to worse you might have to gesture out a new pose
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:37 pm

Awesome. I'll try refining the shape and whatnot to see if it helps any.

Danaidae

Danaidae

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:34 pm

Some side work and other wips:
User Image
User Image
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers