Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Why so proud? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tachikoma Fanclub

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:08 am
Why exactly are we proud to be British, after all we didnt really have much choice in the matter, our parents had sex here and that was the deciding factor. Its not like we fought in the war or invented the telephone, so why are we so proud of our nationality?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:41 am
Tachikoma Fanclub
Why exactly are we proud to be British, after all we didnt really have much choice in the matter, our parents had sex here and that was the deciding factor. Its not like we fought in the war or invented the telephone, so why are we so proud of our nationality?

A good point. It's like being proud of having blue eyes. Personally I don't feel I'm proud to be British, but am instead lucky to be British.  

Fourcolour

Tachikoma Fanclub

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:32 am
Fourcolour
Tachikoma Fanclub

A good point. It's like being proud of having blue eyes. Personally I don't feel I'm proud to be British, but am instead lucky to be British.

exactly, its blind luck that we were born here, most of us dont actually contribute a lot to the countries well being we just pay taxes and complain about things.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:32 am
First prize in the lottery of life it seems..

Not proud of my nationality, just pleased of it. Sooner this than anything else.

Still, it brings the challenge of living up to, and furthering the reputation borne of history.

Invictus_88
Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:31 am
I'm not sure sooner this than anything else. You might well say the same if you were born wih a different nationality.
If I was a different nationality, I'd most like to be from a Scandinavian country, I think.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:32 pm
Im not sure why Im proud of being British, for a start I have an instinctive distrust of anything with the words 'patroitic' and 'nationalistic' in. Maybe pleased to be British is a better description, as I am, and there is more I like about Britain than I dislike.  

girl_no_13

Zoutout

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:11 am
Sure, it was luck, but that doesn't mean we can't be proud of our luck, does it?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:16 am
whapcapn
I'm not sure sooner this than anything else. You might well say the same if you were born wih a different nationality.
If I was a different nationality, I'd most like to be from a Scandinavian country, I think.

Yes. If I wasn't British, Sweden would be my second option. As it is, I'm fairly glad to be living in England, one of the most privelidged and wealthy countries in the world. It gives you a good start in life, at least.  

Ph_ish

Masada

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:24 am
I am proud to be British because of tradition, our way of life and the bulldog spirit.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:50 pm
Tachikoma Fanclub

I don't know, because we have cool accents?  

KimchiNoodle

Tsamikayu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:53 pm
I suppose if I were proud to be British (I'm not sure if I am or not, I don't like patriotism either. It's usually used as a bad excuse) it would have to be because we have to stick up for ourselves a lot, and it's been like that for a long time. We have a huge amount of history behind us, for a lot of us it's in our blood (depending on our family history), and somehow I find that something to be proud of . . . even not being entirely sure about my own family history smile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:22 am
I'm proud of British writers (Dickens, Wilde and Bernard-Shaw). I have fallen in love with Victorian clothing. I'm proud of British tea. I'm proud of the good asosiations that the *good* stereotype gives me ...I'm also proud not to be American. Also as Invictus said "sooner this than anything else". 3nodding

I'm also proud because it's all I know. I am half-asian but I know close to nothing about that half.  

alicelights

Maskani

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:31 am
Britain seems to have a good deal of achievements under its belt with are worthy to be proud of. All the wars we've survived and won, our inventions, our industrial progress (although a lot of that was revolving around Europe as a whole), our creative pieces and so on. That, and I think as people we've got a lot to show. Take the calm and stoic attitude during the London Bombings, for example. Although I don't believe that a nationality determines one's personality usually when you grow up with the same people around you you adopt their attitudes and some beliefs.

I'm just happy with the fact that through all the 2000+ years of history we've had, and all the troubles that have come in the package, we've always managed to keep going and see our way through, even during the darkest times. And really, that's about it.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:25 pm
alicelights
I'm proud of British writers (Dickens, Wilde and Bernard-Shaw). I have fallen in love with Victorian clothing. I'm proud of British tea. I'm proud of the good asosiations that the *good* stereotype gives me ...I'm also proud not to be American. Also as Invictus said "sooner this than anything else". 3nodding

I'm also proud because it's all I know. I am half-asian but I know close to nothing about that half.

Wilde and bernard Shaw were both Irish.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Tasai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:06 am
Fourcolour
Tachikoma Fanclub

But I AM proud of having blue eyes! lol.

I not all that sure why I am proud to be british, but I agree with Inviticus that it is better to be British than not! Also the way we seem to have handled the recent terrorist attacks definatley makes me proud to be british since we havn't panicked, or gone to war *ahem*

Quote:
I'm proud of British tea

Amen to that!  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out