Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Lady Nightwolf's sketchbook-Updated- 3/ 9/ 07 Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Nightwolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:11 pm
<>Lady Nightwolf's Sketchbook______________________

-This will be my scetchbook for things I want critques on so I can get your wonderful advice on my craptastical art (and I say craptastical in the most loving way possible xd )

-DA Link

<>Things I need help on____________________________

-Bare feet
-I need help drawing more exciting poses
-Adding colors to skin tones
-Some proportional stuff
-BACKROUNDS (curse backrounds -___-)
-Drawing a single character in more than one pose.
-Noses -___-

I'll probably add things as I go along xd <3

<>Items up for Critique____________________________

-Please been honest weather you think it will hurt my feelings or not, If I don't get the truth I can't fix mistakes and learn from them. Sometimes you need a fresh eye to catch the details you've been staring at too long to notice xd

1. there are several things off about it that I just can't place...I'll have an UPDATE for # 1 in a bit

2. For this one I have a ways to go yet, but I need lighting advice etc... the keyhole shape behind them will be a cloud-scape probably more of a blue one since there are warm colors in the forground. I'm actually kind of proud at the more realistic look of the face that I managed.

UPDATE, I removed the sketch behind it so that you could see what I've done so far more clearly, please ignor the belly scales I'm still working out what I want to do with them, and they are obviously incomplete.

1.User Image 2.User Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:54 am
Pic posted, critique wanted domokun heart  

Lady Nightwolf

Wispered

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:04 am
That's a spiffy picture. I like the cropped background. Very nice.

Three things I noticed though.
His poor halo is getting lost in the clouds, I didn't even see it right away. Just a touch more contrast should fix that.
The shoulders are sitting a bit too low on the neck. Just a smidge.
And his legs look really too short. I'm guessing you were going for foreshortening, which makes sense with the pose. Making the knee caps a bit larger and having them angle a bit more toward the audience will help with the foreshortening effect I think.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:14 am
The halo I knod of wanted to be almost non-existant, so that works perfectly.
I did notice the neck seemed a bit off..yeah yeah...I see it now, thanks for the advice ^___^  

Lady Nightwolf

eilamona

Sparkly Fatcat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:14 am
    Already added critiques in my thread XDDD

o_o~ I didn't notice the halo....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:42 am
XD I think I'll actually remove the halo It does nothing for the pic, and since I practialy hid it I obviously sub conciously don't want it there lol  

Lady Nightwolf

Bare Naked Mizzie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:55 am
Alrighty, first piece! I really like the composition you have going on, it's very dynamic.

The figure, however, is flat in comparison, stiff and his anatomy needs some work.

His shoulders are actually too broad, and he's lacking his trapezius--the muscles on the sides of the neck--which on a man are rather pronounced. It also seems like his torso is upright, which is, again, stiff. Soften up that spine! Unless I'm just not seeing it--in that case utilize the folds in the shirt to show that he has more torso that we're not seeing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/Servossi/nightwolf1.jpg

Here is a draw-over I did.

Bendyspine! BENDYSPINE! I lowered the shoulders to make the pose less stiff, so instead of seeing the shoulders straight on, you see the tops of them. I think you did alright with the torso area, all I'd change is having some major foldage at the crease at the midline, and the have the rest of the shirt hang with just a few folds to show that it's hanging down between the legs. Bunched up at the waist like that just looks funkeh.

You have the hips a little high, the thighs a little thick looking. Guys tend to have veeery thin legs. You'll see fat men with dingly little chicken legs.

When doing patterns on shirts, add the pattern first, then shade/highlight. The pattern needs to be shaded as well, and lowerin the opacity doesn't cut it. It also needs to be distorted by the folds.

The last thing I want to address is the colors you chose to shade with. You did well on the skin--the nice rosey shadows work. The deepest shadows being that ick burnt brown was a poor move--use a deep desaturated blue instead. Work it on a seperate layer so you can adjust the opacity.

For the reddish brown hair and wings, try purple or green or even a deep orange.

The shirt. Gray-blue or gray-red. Never gray+gray.

For highlights, a pale turqoise works well on pale skin, or a pale yellow. For the hair/wings, yellow or an orange, or--again--turqoise. White hightlights for anything other than metal=taacky.

Keep it comin'.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:27 pm
in the angel picture, one of his arms (his left) is longer then the roght, which makes it look funny since his shoulders are in a straight line essentially. also his wings, they arent meant for flight are they? cause if so they are much much to small, i really like the coloring on them though. again like a few people mentined before, i couldnt even see the halo until others mentioned it.

hum.. aside from that everyone else has already mentioned things i've seen (and several more i didnt).

Jitsumi1221

Lady Nightwolf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:40 pm
Mizzie thank you thank you, that was extremely helpful , I'm re-working the drawing now and it's looking better already 4laugh
Between the softer spoken Nel and you I should shape up pretty darn quick here whee  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:45 pm
Jistu-Yeah I noticed the arm thing too, that s on of the things I'm fixing.
Yeah the wings are just ment to be pretty xd
Also I've decied to get rid of the halo, he's got an awsome hat now 3nodding whee

Ya know on second thought I just might make the wings bigger and wrap them around the from a bitmmm...maybe...something to think on anyway...  

Lady Nightwolf

Bare Naked Mizzie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:01 am
*Pelvic thrust* Welcome to boot camp, beotch. >O Hoyeah.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:47 pm
*salutes*  

Lady Nightwolf

Dr Euphony

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:45 pm
Hmm if I may offer some colour advice, try shading or building off different hues. Your skin is pretty fine since you have more reds with your yellows. Don't be afraid to add some greens /blues into the fleshtones as well. For your cloth and other elements, mix in more colours. Depending on your light colour or your surroundings, colour is absorbed and reflected. Blues from the sky are reflected as secondary lighting on the skin, for example.

Also with backgrounds, soften up your brushes to give more depth. You don't need as much contrast with anything in a backdrop as you really want all the contrast reserved for your forground elements and figures to make them pop out more.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:45 am
Thank you for the advice!  

Lady Nightwolf

Dr Euphony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:52 am
#2 is off to a good start smile the dragon and the figure look solid and well referenced. I love that you're putting some blues into her skin as well as her outfit. try laying down some of your colours with a harder brush. save softer brushes for blending and backgrounds smile

minor anatomical crit: Her hands are HUGE..almost as large as her head. fix those and you're good to go!  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff