Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [Rant and Rave]_____GLBT, Life-Topics, Politics, Rants
FF.net reviews. What would you expect? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

gold.
View Results

bishie-boy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:57 am
I am a yaoi fanfiction writer (psycho neko-chan) and i'm so tired of the reviews I've been getting. I haven't really gotten flamed yet, but what I would like is some respect. I try my very best to fix any and all mistakes in all my stories and I worry about what people will think about my writing as much as the next guy. The problem I have is that people can't take the time to write a decent review. They don't use capitalizations and words are always misspelled. I even get reviews from a certain person and he/she doesn't even use periods. I have to sit there and decipher the damn thing and that really annoys me. All I want is a grammatically correct review. I do get a few, but not nearly enough.

For fanfiction writers: If you take your time on stories so your loyal readers don't have to read mistakes, wouldn't you like in return a review that at least looked like it took them a couple seconds to think up?

Would you feel more appreciated?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:54 pm
I know how you feel, kinda

I don't write fanfictions, I write my own stories (MAGA GATE SAGA WOOT!) and I get alot of crap for stupid little things that I end up proving them wrong to ><

They'll say "Well, why didn't they do this here?" and I'll go "BECAUSE THEY DIED!!!!!"

Some don't even seem to read it.

BUT! I'm like you, I work hard to make it as good as possible so I let my friends tell me their thoughts on it. Most friends just point out grammar mistakes cause i typed too fast and wrote I instead of it.

Yeah, if you ever want a good opinion on it thats spelt decently and isn't all evils, lemme read it. (yes, I know I can't spell, I'll use some kind of spell check when reviewing XD)

^^  

Yaoiman

bishie-boy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:15 pm
Yaoiman
I know how you feel, kinda

I don't write fanfictions, I write my own stories (MAGA GATE SAGA WOOT!) and I get alot of crap for stupid little things that I end up proving them wrong to ><

They'll say "Well, why didn't they do this here?" and I'll go "BECAUSE THEY DIED!!!!!"

Some don't even seem to read it.

BUT! I'm like you, I work hard to make it as good as possible so I let my friends tell me their thoughts on it. Most friends just point out grammar mistakes cause i typed too fast and wrote I instead of it.

Yeah, if you ever want a good opinion on it thats spelt decently and isn't all evils, lemme read it. (yes, I know I can't spell, I'll use some kind of spell check when reviewing XD)

^^
Like "spelt" should be "spelled"? blaugh whee ...I think...

Sure. Why not? Do you read Harry Potter or Kingdom Hearts or Final FAntasyVII, or D.N. Angel, or (goes on and on because I write about EVERYTHING). Send me a pm if you read any of those.

My fanfiction.net name is psycho neko-chan, if you'd like to look for yourself. ^-^  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:47 am
Can do ^^
I'll check some out after school todays ^_^  

Yaoiman

RionaDaidouji

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:48 pm
I sort of know how you feel, although now, since I write mostly for obscure fandoms and/or pairings, I'm not getting very many reviews at all.

Still, when I used to write for popular fandoms I got a ton of really immature reviews, and it drove me up the wall.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:59 am
Unfortunately, it's something you should just get used to now. The internet is not made up of geniuses. Most of your average readers, despite claims to be otherwise, are in the average to low end of the smarts pool and their "reviewing" skills show it. I've been writing for a long time and I've just gotten used to the fact that 99% of my so-called reviews are going to be crap, just like 99% of fanfiction seems to be crap. You'll just have to learn to live with it. Either lower your expectations or start posting somewhere other than the cesspit of fanfiction.net. neutral  

For-Chan Cookie
Captain

7,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200

bishie-boy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:18 pm
For-Chan Cookie
Unfortunately, it's something you should just get used to now. The internet is not made up of geniuses. Most of your average readers, despite claims to be otherwise, are in the average to low end of the smarts pool and their "reviewing" skills show it. I've been writing for a long time and I've just gotten used to the fact that 99% of my so-called reviews are going to be crap, just like 99% of fanfiction seems to be crap. You'll just have to learn to live with it. Either lower your expectations or start posting somewhere other than the cesspit of fanfiction.net. neutral

You know, I totally agree with that. *nods*  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:07 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.>> Only the blackest of hearts

I get that quite a lot, and I tend to notice the flames are the ones that can't spell the characters names O.o - I am writing an Eragon/Murtagh fic, which is
(a) incest
(b) slash
(c) in an obscure fandom
So essentially, I am getting harassed by people who desperately need the pairing as nobody else writes it, or I get flamed by people who don't like (a) or (b)... illiterately. 'Tis really quite annoying.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Can feel the purest of love <<

eduardo galpaleano

Liberal Ladykiller

9,400 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Ellyssian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:33 pm
Oh my goodness! I have read "Spending Time on Destiny Island" I am so sorry I didn't review. A lot of times I just copy the story to a word document so I don't use up the internet for my family. So I never remember to go back and review.
I really liked the story.

And yes, as an author myself I do like well written reviews. But I understand that some people can't write like authors, so I am not horribly disappointed when I get a bad review.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:36 pm
-nods- I haven't wrote much Shounen Ai in my life time, but I have written at least five fanfictions, and when I get reviewed, I want more of a detailed option What they liked, disliked, think needed improvement, etc. Not just "This story is cool." And usually that's spelled wrong, anyway. As much as I appreciate that person actually reviewing (I must be a bad writer, because not many people review my stories ;-; Though they do read them...

But, today, I got kind of a detailed review for one of my fanfictions. I thanked the user for it. <3

SharpCookies

kataphora

6,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:16 am
huh... I find the majority of my reviews on FF.net are actually pretty good.

It depends on the fandom and pairing though, I guess. the larger the fanbase, the more retarded the reviews are.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:15 am
bishie-boy

^^
Like "spelt" should be "spelled"? blaugh whee ...I think...]
My fanfiction.net name is psycho neko-chan, if you'd like to look for yourself. ^-^

Both spelled and spelt are valid. As for FF.net (whoah, baby, haven't been the pit in a while now!) unfortunately, that's just the way it works. Keep your chin up, there's nothing you can do about it, sadly. Enjoy the reviews you get, be courteous, polite, and well writ, and perhaps you will inspire that in your peers.
As for your writing, keep it up, but try to take a bit more time to put meat on writing. Remember, it's not the getting there that matters in a story, it's the journey we're supposed to enjoy.

Anyway, I'll stop prattling and let you get on with your day. Have a good one, now!

Rosemary-of-the-Sun

soviet soiree

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:26 pm
I know exactly what you mean! What's even worse is I saw someone on FFN getting review criticized for spelling and grammar, when the review was probably about fifteen times worse than the story.
I agree! It annoys me when I work really hard on a story, and then some random person comes along and points out some really really really tiny mistake.
I have to admit, though, when I'm having a bad day even a simple "lol keep going" will make me happy. But what makes me even happier is when the person reviews like they actually read my story thouroughly and took some time to concrit instead of looking like they scanned it and then hit the review button. Long, detailed concrits want to make me write more than quick, one word reviews.
Wow, I really ranted, didn't I? Heh heh...  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:56 am
Whenever I'm giving a comment for anything whether it be a picture or a fanfiction I always try to write something at least five sentences long. I don't mind that much about art (I comment on so much art per day if I wrote 5 sentences for every piece I'd go insane) but I try and write a lot for fanfiction. I at least say my favourite parts, parts which I think could use a little improvment (normally just a typo that needs changing - sorry if that's annoying) and something I related to my life (whether that be a characters emotions or just something that happened to me)........

I don't review something if it's too bad because I hate being mean...I would never write only bad things.  

shield_bug

Kaiju Koi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:47 pm
I don't listen to them for one simple reason.
If they can't write themselves, then they can't tell others how to.  
[Rant and Rave]_____GLBT, Life-Topics, Politics, Rants

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff