Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Question... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ShadowSharrow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:37 pm
Quote:
This guild is for those Gaian Pagans who have been afflicted with the dreaded Fluffy Bunny curse, for those who are interested in helping the FBs on their way to becoming at least seminormal Pagans, or for anyone who has a question on various types of Paganism, divination, or anything like that.

Ok could the dear Capt of the guild or ye eldars that found it please clarify for me the term seminormal Pagans, thanks.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:01 pm
Being not Captain, not staff, nor an elder member, I still feel compelled to opine. Seminormal Pagan indicates (at least to me) a person who is either educated enough about the religion they follow to actually follow the religion faithfully, or at least who doesn't attempt to portray themselves as the public face of a religion that they claim but do not actually follow. In other words, if they're going to stay Fluffy, they at least stop trying to convince others that theirs is the truth of the religion.

It may have also been a quip on the laughability of a Pagan referring to themselves as "normal" - I'm fairly certain that I'm not the only one here who considers the only globally-absolute definition of "normal" to be "perpendicular to a plane or curve".  

Henry Dorsett Case

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:35 pm
I didn't create the words. That was the guild description in the ye olden days. I've been toying around with changing it.

NEVER AGAIN THE GUILD FORUM DAYS!

But in all seriousness, I think the semi-normal is a nod to the laughability of the idea that there is a normal, and that by most social norms, pagans are outside of it.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:01 am
Nuri
I didn't create the words. That was the guild description in the ye olden days. I've been toying around with changing it.

But in all seriousness, I think the semi-normal is a nod to the laughability of the idea that there is a normal, and that by most social norms, pagans are outside of it.

I think semi "well adjusted, well informed" is probably what is meant by it though, neh?  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:04 am
Cuchullain
Nuri

I think semi "well adjusted, well informed" is probably what is meant by it though, neh?

A little of this, a little of that, I think. Most of the founders of FPRC take the word "normal" in a humorous light because of our experience with it and it's variability. It's not like there's an OBJECTIVE normal outside of "lots of people do this", after all.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:00 pm
Deoridhe
It's not like there's an OBJECTIVE normal outside of "lots of people do this", after all.
Contested.

Of amusement, when I first typed it in, I got a 404 error message.  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:12 am
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
It's not like there's an OBJECTIVE normal outside of "lots of people do this", after all.
Contested.

Urm, that just says normal is "people who are within the norm" which is, as I put it, "Lots of people do this". Something occurring "naturally" could fall under this same auspice; we know, for instance, through anthro studies that smiling is a near-universal, and thus coded natural, occurance, but that doesn't change the Japanese disinclination to smile.

Norms are defned by a measuring of a group, not by anything objective, and they change over time.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:51 am
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
Contested.

Urm, that just says normal is "people who are within the norm" which is, as I put it, "Lots of people do this". Something occurring "naturally" could fall under this same auspice; we know, for instance, through anthro studies that smiling is a near-universal, and thus coded natural, occurance, but that doesn't change the Japanese disinclination to smile.

Norms are defned by a measuring of a group, not by anything objective, and they change over time.
Part of me wants to guess that Tea was pointing to the scientific/mathematical definitions of "normal", which are exactingly objective, rather than the societal definitions.

Could just be my geek sense of humor talking, though.  

Henry Dorsett Case

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:37 pm
Henry Dorsett Case
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
Contested.

Part of me wants to guess that Tea was pointing to the scientific/mathematical definitions of "normal", which are exactingly objective, rather than the societal definitions.

Could just be my geek sense of humor talking, though.

Pft, I'd call that moving the goalposts meself.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:49 pm
Nuri
semi-normal.

color me slow...io had always read that as a misspelling of cerimonail razz  

ketchakik

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:55 pm
ketchakik
Nuri
semi-normal.

Ceremonial?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:26 am
Deoridhe
ketchakik
Nuri
semi-normal.

Ceremonial?
Semi-normal ceremonial ceramic nails in my cereal?  

Henry Dorsett Case

ShadowSharrow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:00 am
Ok.

The idea of what is normal tbh is over rated and what a person's norm is socity wise will depend on where they live and what thier up bringing is like.

I never had much time for people who seem to think that to be pagan one has to be werid or dress like a hippe or a goth rebound.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:03 pm
ShadowSharrow
Ok.
I never had much time for people who seem to think that to be pagan one has to be werid or dress like a hippe or a goth rebound.

Nah, but it is fun smile  

maenad nuri
Captain

ShadowSharrow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:08 pm
For fun and because it is your stlye great, I mean I am old enough to have been a curehead and then a goth in my day but that is personal choice and
not herd mentality.

Normal is subjective if enough of the majority of the sample are kookie
and batshit insane then that will be the norm and you will certainly have an intresting life.

But there are lots of pagans out there who are not known by most people,
neighbours, family. local community, thier dr ect as being pagan, to a lot of people I am just a stay at home mam with two kids and a cat.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff