Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Um...I need sources on Wicca... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

With Motion

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:16 pm
Normally I wouldn't actually go on any forum and ask for help finding sources, but I'm stumped now. I want to do a speech on Wicca (the truths and the lies) for one of my classes and I want to do well, but one of the requirements is to find a source through an academic search engine. All the sources I have are useless and I can't find any in the academic searches I've been doing.

Can someone help me? Pwetty Pwease? User Image

I would also use these sources to further my own knowledge. Or are there no academic sources and I need to wing it? xp

(For the record, the closest I got to "academic" sources was an essay on Wicca from a Christian PoV [ rolleyes ] and "Teen Witch")  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:50 pm
Academic search engine?
Like http://scholar.google.com?  

Sound Doxa

Sparkly Explorer

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:51 pm
Ronald Hutton. Just a name to get you started.

Chas Clifton too, he edits a peer-reviewed (I think) journal on pagan scholarship called The Pomegranate. You may find something there too.

(hint from a wanna be librarian: sometimes it is best to have several topics in hand, just to check out what sources you'll have, before deciding on a topic)  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:12 pm
SoundDoctrine
Academic search engine?
Like http://scholar.google.com?
Yep, that's exactly what I used. Didn't work.
Nuri
Ronald Hutton. Just a name to get you started.

Chas Clifton too, he edits a peer-reviewed (I think) journal on pagan scholarship called The Pomegranate. You may find something there too.
Thank you!
Quote:

(hint from a wanna be librarian: sometimes it is best to have several topics in hand, just to check out what sources you'll have, before deciding on a topic)
I know, my teacher wouldn't let me do the topic I wanted which I had researched, Industrial Music crying  

With Motion

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:30 am
Gerald Gardner, Alex Sanders.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:24 am
Helen A. Berger has done census work on the broader Neopagan movement, including Wicca. Susan Greenwood has written one interesting work I'm familiar with entitiled "Magic, Witchcraft and the Otherworld."

Then there's some stuff I found I have not read yet:

Sabina Magliocco has written "Witching Culture: Folklore and Neo-Paganism in America"
Blain Jenny: "Researching Paganisms (The Pagan Studies Series)"

And others I don't have authors and titles for offhand.  

Starlock

Darin Rosewood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:48 pm
Cuchullain
I love you, you know that?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:04 am
Cuchullain
How about the Farrar's?  

TeaDidikai

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 5:59 pm
Also, check your local and school library to see if they subscribe to a database. Maybe something like ATLA Religion, Gale Virtual Reference Library, Humanities Abstracts, Religious Periodicals or Routledge Religion Resource Online, etc. might help?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:27 am
[Kudzu]
Also, check your local and school library to see if they subscribe to a database. Maybe something like ATLA Religion, Gale Virtual Reference Library, Humanities Abstracts, Religious Periodicals or Routledge Religion Resource Online, etc. might help?
Maybe. I've never used the campus library before.
...it's been years since I used any library before xp  

With Motion

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:52 pm
Light[]Yagami
[Kudzu]
Maybe. I've never used the campus library before.
...it's been years since I used any library before xp
Please tell me this phenomenon is not as common as it seems to be before I cry. confused  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:13 am
JSTOR isn't a comprehensive site and they don't have the absolute most recent issues of journals, but I love it because it has full text articles in handy downloadable formats, and you might be able to find some great stuff if your school has access to it.  

AvalonAuggie

4,050 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200

ShadowSharrow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:25 am
TeaDidikai
Cuchullain
How about the Farrar's?

The Farrars Publically published works are not about Wicca ( in it's true BTW context ) but about paganism and witchcraft.
There are some considerible differences to the point that they and those the initated are inclinded to call themselves Farrarian tradition.
Not that 'The Farrars' exist anymore with Steward having passed away and
Janet remarring to become Mrs Bone.

If you want information then go to source in this case public sources about
Gerald Gardner who published books and so is more accessible then Alex Sanders.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:15 am
http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/index.htm

Has some good resources.  

ShadowSharrow

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:46 am
Thaedydal
TeaDidikai
Cuchullain
How about the Farrar's?

The Farrars Publically published works are not about Wicca ( in it's true BTW context ) but about paganism and witchcraft.
There are some considerible differences to the point that they and those the initated are inclinded to call themselves Farrarian tradition.
Not that 'The Farrars' exist anymore with Steward having passed away and
Janet remarring to become Mrs Bone.

If you want information then go to source in this case public sources about
Gerald Gardner who published books and so is more accessible then Alex Sanders.

Better than what I was going to say.
Quoting the only Gardnerian in Ireland that I know of "Vague and Vaccuous" and having read some of their stuff, I'm inclined to agree.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff