Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Okay, So! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Weight loss is Good!
  But there are some unpleasant side-effects!
View Results

Straight to Pluto

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:17 pm
I'm 17 years old.
I'm about 5' 10".
I weigh 169 on a good day, 171 on a bad day, and 170 on an alright day.
I wanna get down to about 160-ish, but I'm kinda afraid to lose weight.

I've been trying to lose weight as slowly as possible, because I heard that it was --supposed-- to help prevent loose skin.
It didn't work that well.
When I started "dieting" in 2005, I was 265 pounds.
I have a lot of loose skin on my Chest, stomach, arms and thighs. And. . . Pretty much every where else.
It's not like, SUPER much, but. Yeah. I can pull about 2-3 inches + in most places.

ANYWAY.
The reason I'm afraid to lose any more weight is because I don't know how much the loose skin is weighing me down.

So, I just want to know : Does the loose skin really add weight on to me?
Or am I just perfectly fine to drop those 10 pounds?  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:50 pm
If you watch any of those Dr.90210 shows you'll see that people can lose a ton of inches with tummy tucks. Tucks are when they cut off the excess skin and then bring the edges together to form a new taut area of skin (if you didn't know). Tucks and lipo share a common theme of removing inches and not pounds. I remember one guy on some surgery show lost 18 inches off his waist with his tummy tuck, but the hunks of skin weighed less than 10 pounds.

So, basically. If you want to try and lose some fat go for it. Any skin weirdness won't be added pounds but inch issues. If you think the extra "weight" is skin (which it might be) be happy you became healthy and lost so much weight!

Did you do weight bearing exercises at all while losing? I only had a tiny skin issue (over my lats) when I lost 60 pounds and I think lifting helps. dietgirl.org (almost 200lbs lost) recommends it as well.

My friend who lost over 200 with gastric bypass does have many skin issues. Arms, thighs, and tummy. She hasn't decided yet if she's going to spend the money to remove the skin. She's just happy she is less of a health risk now.

As I need to loss those same 60 pounds again (blargh+bad meds) I'm actually going to go even more seriously with weights this time, since I know more about lifting now.

Great job! : D  

dangerousfish

Straight to Pluto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:25 pm
dangerousfish
If you watch any of those Dr.90210 shows you'll see that people can lose a ton of inches with tummy tucks. Tucks are when they cut off the excess skin and then bring the edges together to form a new taut area of skin (if you didn't know). Tucks and lipo share a common theme of removing inches and not pounds. I remember one guy on some surgery show lost 18 inches off his waist with his tummy tuck, but the hunks of skin weighed less than 10 pounds.

So, basically. If you want to try and lose some fat go for it. Any skin weirdness won't be added pounds but inch issues. If you think the extra "weight" is skin (which it might be) be happy you became healthy and lost so much weight!

Did you do weight bearing exercises at all while losing? I only had a tiny skin issue (over my lats) when I lost 60 pounds and I think lifting helps. dietgirl.org (almost 200lbs lost) recommends it as well.

My friend who lost over 200 with gastric bypass does have many skin issues. Arms, thighs, and tummy. She hasn't decided yet if she's going to spend the money to remove the skin. She's just happy she is less of a health risk now.

As I need to loss those same 60 pounds again (blargh+bad meds) I'm actually going to go even more seriously with weights this time, since I know more about lifting now.

Great job! : D

I did do a lot of weight training when I started to diet, but about half-way through, I started to focus a little more on Cardio, because I wanted to try to work my lungs, to try and help my asthma issues. :3
You know, running, biking, walking. The works. xD
DDR, too! xDDD

It worked wonders, though, so I'm so happy about that.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:41 pm
You should be happy, great job! whee  

dangerousfish

Straight to Pluto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:50 pm
dangerousfish
You should be happy, great job! whee

whee
<3

Yeah, Now I guess it is that I'm more interested in losing inches, and not weight. u__u
I'm at a weight I'm comfortable with pretty much, but yeah. D:
Some of my friends think I look a little heavier than I weigh. xP  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:58 pm
[Emo Ninja 3.0]

whee
<3

Yeah, Now I guess it is that I'm more interested in losing inches, and not weight. u__u
I'm at a weight I'm comfortable with pretty much, but yeah. D:
Some of my friends think I look a little heavier than I weigh. xP

weight is just a number, yo. A guide to be sure, but still just a number. I would totally start up a weight training program again build up some muscle, burn some fat in the process, and let your natural "corset" help keep you lifted. xd

I have a post on weight lifting, which might be a helpful starting guide and the links much more helpful.  

dangerousfish

Straight to Pluto

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:43 pm
Eh. . .
I'm kind of shut down with most Weight Lifting now.
I was in Olympic-Style weightlifting for about 5 years.
And it kind of screwed up my body.

Yay Cartalidge deterioration.
._<  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:23 pm
Oh yeah? What were your weights? I almost went to the olympic lifting club but when I stopped going to the gym that had their flyer up I forgot about it. Now I'm not as strong thanks to me being a dumbass with the blargh so I'd like to build myself up to being able to curl more than 10 pounds. I like my dumbbells. ^^

What do you thinked screwed you up? Too much weight?  

dangerousfish

NinjaRapunzel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:51 am
I have no idea if this would work, but perhaps a skin firming lotion?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:26 pm
dangerousfish
Oh yeah? What were your weights? I almost went to the olympic lifting club but when I stopped going to the gym that had their flyer up I forgot about it. Now I'm not as strong thanks to me being a dumbass with the blargh so I'd like to build myself up to being able to curl more than 10 pounds. I like my dumbbells. ^^

What do you thinked screwed you up? Too much weight?

Yeah, and a very non-understanding coach.
He would push up to lift more weight than we could until he felt that we suffered enough. >__>
That might be it, because it happened to my brother, too. D:

I have Dumbbells. I just need to find them and do more exersizes with 'em. xD
The problem is, we just moved to Arizona, and Iunno where they ran off to. xP  

Straight to Pluto

dangerousfish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:35 pm
[Emo Ninja 3.0]

He would push up to lift more weight than we could until he felt that we suffered enough. >__>

Yeaaaaah, lifting totally not about trying to break your students joints. What a douche. Probably him, because some of the best/healthiest lifters I've met on the internet do olympic style lifting.

I hear you on the dumbbells, mine are at my parents' house because we have a mini-gym in our apartment complex and they have a full set of free weights (to way more than I can lift) so I didn't think I needed to lug my weights here except that with the wind chill being in the negatives evening going out to the gym (the whole 30 feet) in the evening seems so icky. xd I need to bring mine here. sweatdrop

Hope you find your dumbbells!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:42 pm
dangerousfish
[Emo Ninja 3.0]

Yeaaaaah, lifting totally not about trying to break your students joints. What a douche. Probably him, because some of the best/healthiest lifters I've met on the internet do olympic style lifting.

I hear you on the dumbbells, mine are at my parents' house because we have a mini-gym in our apartment complex and they have a full set of free weights (to way more than I can lift) so I didn't think I needed to lug my weights here except that with the wind chill being in the negatives evening going out to the gym (the whole 30 feet) in the evening seems so icky. xd I need to bring mine here. sweatdrop

Hope you find your dumbbells!

Yeah, I know. >__> He pissed me off.
He's the reason that I quit. He tried to push too hard too fast.
My parents made me push it out as long as I did. >.o
Other wise, my neck wouldn't be screwed up like it is. u_u
. . . And the rest of my body. .__o

Oh, wow. LUCKY, though. xD <3
I mean, your own gym! xD

Oh, I found them! xD
They were in a Mixing bowl box under my bed. .__.;;  

Straight to Pluto

dangerousfish

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:23 pm
Mixing bowl weights!

That's a good screenname.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:01 pm
dangerousfish
Mixing bowl weights!

That's a good screenname.

xDD Oh yeah. <3
Very good. :3

And, I was working out with them yesterday.
I used to have so much fun working with weights.
But I just don't feel the fun anymore. xP

I like cardio more now. xP
But, cardio isn't going to tone my muscles now, is it?! xD <3  

Straight to Pluto

dangerousfish

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:17 pm
[Emo Ninja 3.0]

xDD Oh yeah. <3
Very good. :3

And, I was working out with them yesterday.
I used to have so much fun working with weights.
But I just don't feel the fun anymore. xP

I like cardio more now. xP
But, cardio isn't going to tone my muscles now, is it?! xD <3

That's funny because I'm the reverse! I do cardio to burn fat all over but I love the results I see lifting because they're more satisfying to me. I can see a muscle getting larger (a new muscle curve makes my day) and my inches going down and that translates to me better than losing a pounds off the scale. I feel I see differences with weights quicker than I do with cardio.

I don't go super huge weights for visual gain but I do stick in the 8-10 rep range. I'm getting the roommates into weights too, one of them did lift some but she was doing the high rep crap people like to try and feed chicks, bleh.

As for screennames, several years ago I got sick of seeing "inuyashalover96405412" that I started keeping an imaginary list of screen names and I always tell people to add that to my list. Some recent additions include "human forks" and "furniture smile".

I mean, you have numbers in your user name but it doesn't scream "800 other people have 99% of my same name."

I remember one of my friends created a sekrit aim account and it was something about loving baked goods and he was like, "man, it is so hard to find a sn these days." XD

PS:
Yay for lifting AND cardio!  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games