Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Pick a calender, any calender Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Boadicia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:27 am
What calender do you use when celebrating holidays?

Gregorian?

Lunar?

The astrological one in the Farmers' Almanac?

Another one?

Do you celebrate the day of or the night before?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:28 am
Boadicia
What calender do you use when celebrating holidays?

Gregorian?

Lunar?

The astrological one in the Farmers' Almanac?

Another one?

Do you celebrate the day of or the night before?

The Gaelic Calendar  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

IH_Zero

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:07 am
Holidays in my path are based on the rising of Sothis ( Sirius), which is different (just about) every year. The rising of Sothis is also the Kemetic New Year.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:19 am
In terms of determining holidays - the Solar Calendar. In terms of scheduling with my kindred, the modern US calendar. The latter is our usually-monthly meetings; the former is the High Holy Days, so to speak.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:08 pm
I adapt the Athenian calendar to my particular needs.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:48 pm
I have a hard time grasping the Athenian sweatdrop It might help if I didn't have any distractions while I was trying to understand it. stare  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:24 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
I have a hard time grasping the Athenian sweatdrop It might help if I didn't have any distractions while I was trying to understand it. stare

It is hard to understand...which is why I adapt it.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:48 pm
That's why I bought this. I have it all listed out fo me on the modern calendar, and she has also added many of the American holidays and the Equinoxes and Solstices as well as the days devoted to particular deities each month.

EternalHearts

Boadicia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:52 am
Nuri
Dragon_Witch_Woman

Out of curiosity, why is it so hard to grasp? Is there a website that sort of explains it so I can see for myself? I do love a challenge.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:23 am
I typically use the standard US calendar at the moment, just easier to keep up with. Although with my path, I still try to celebrate the 'standard' pagan wheel of the year, plus I'm considering throwing in some thelemite holidays since I'm a bit influenced by thelema(or, at least, learning more about it to see if I am drawn to it to be influenced by thelema).

By the way, nice to meet you all!  

DruidWitch82

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:13 pm
Boadicia
Nuri
Dragon_Witch_Woman

Out of curiosity, why is it so hard to grasp? Is there a website that sort of explains it so I can see for myself? I do love a challenge.

Hellenic Month Established Per Athens

There's lots of reasons, actually. One, it only serves Athens -- there were many others, and many festivals that are Athens specific. No need in a midwesterner using those.

The way the calender was constructed is just weird....it is literally calibrated using moon data OVER Athens. It is lunisolar. And then we don't know about quite a few of the festivals, other than they were celebrated.

Which is why a lot of people adapt adapt adapt or just don't deal with it at all. It's not a requirement, although, I'm not sure how the standard neo-pagan wheel of the year works with it too, but I know there are groups that make it work.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:35 am
Standard solar calendar works for me. I usually check the exact moments of solar solstices to be really precise.  

Pelta

Boadicia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:11 am
Wow. I got a look at that Athenian calender. I found myself tilting my head like a confused puppy. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:28 am
Pelta
Standard solar calendar works for me. I usually check the exact moments of solar solstices to be really precise.

The standard solar calendar will work well enough for anyone if they're not arsed about the Celtic festivals.
Calculating when Imbolg is is a pain in the arse if you're using a Solar calendar.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Pelta

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:34 am
Cuchullain
Pelta

The standard solar calendar will work well enough for anyone if they're not arsed about the Celtic festivals.
Since when have I ever been? wink

Quote:
Calculating when Imbolg is is a pain in the arse if you're using a Solar calendar.
Out of a matter of interest, how exactly are the Celtic holidays calculated? If the information isn't oathbound, that is...  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff