Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply ~.The Atheist Guild.~
Definition of Tolerance Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think Mandy was being intolerant?
  yes
  no
  somewhere inbetween
View Results

Xia Momo Capernicus

Sparkly Pumpkin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:04 pm
Here is a hypothetical situation;

*Mandy* is an atheist. Her parents, brother and entire extended family are Christian. Every year, in the month of December, they do a thing every Sunday called Advent, and *Mandy* does not wish to take part. *Mandy* is angry for being dragged into something, and she is angry because almost everything they are talking about goes against what she believes in. *Mandy*'s dad asks her why she is angry and she reveal's she is an atheist.

DO YOU THINK *MANDY* WAS BEING INTOLERANT?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:44 pm
Nah, she was just a) explaining her dissatisfaction b) exercising her right to freedom of speech, and c) trying to be honest with her family over her beliefs. Sounds like the right thing to do to me.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Xia Momo Capernicus

Sparkly Pumpkin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:55 pm
Thank you for replying, I notice two people voted and didn't...

Anyway, I agree, I just wanted some clarification. *Mandy*'s parents were calling her that and she was beginning to doubt herself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:29 pm
Would *Mandy* have any association with the guild ninja
People need to know the truth either way.  

FlamingChihuahua
Crew

Xia Momo Capernicus

Sparkly Pumpkin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:25 pm
FlamingChihuahua
Would *Mandy* have any association with the guild ninja
People need to know the truth either way.

*stares* um... *mandy* would be ME.

Sorry, I thought that was obvious...  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:04 pm
uh

NO.

Not wanting to take part in a ritual is not intolerant. Telling other people they can't do it is intolerant and maybe standing off to the side and scoffing at them while they do it is intolerant. Maybe.

My grandpa came over once. He's a southern-baptist preacher. We sat down, me, my brother, my mom, and my grandpa, at the having-company table for supper. Grandpa put his hands out, as if to say, "Hold on, everyone," and he said, "Now, [mother's name], do you mind if we say a quick word of grace?"

"Yeah, Dad, I do mind," she replied. "This is my house, and you are a guest here. We do not say grace in this house." He got upset. She said, "You can pray if you want to. We won't stop you. But we're not going to join you."

"Eat," she told me and my brother. We did.  

Prince Rilian

Heterosexual Fa gg ot
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:19 pm
No. Did Mandy tell them that she didn't want to go? If not, she should have, and explained it to them why then.
User Image

[.Julie Booly.]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:21 pm
OH s**t!!!
I accidently voted yes!! I ment to vote no!!
BAH!! Sorry whee
well anyways, she wasn't being anywhere intolerant. Her parents are being intolerant for being angry at her for being atheist

confused  

Metamorphosis Lycanthropy

Cannibal Joe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:29 pm
You not wanting to participate in that even doesn't make you intolerent, your parents trying to force you to does seem a bit intolorent on their part. but that's probably just me  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:51 pm
i dont think u were being intolerant but
i dont see the big deal with atheists like you
whats wrong with going to some spirtual thing
if it gets ur family off ur case?
u dont have to convert to christianity
and doing christian stuff doesnt make u in anyway less of an atheist
iive noticed that most atheists are REALY defiant ><
lol freedom of speech this
everyobdy is created qual that >,<

(dont bite my head off im just stating what i think)  

Veinlash

Cannibal Joe

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:27 pm
I see your point on that godless, but if she were to go, that would be very hypocritical of her, and I don't think she want's to do that.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:11 am
We don't want to be forced to participate in something we do not believe in, and we don't like having our basic human rights and civil liberties violated. What's so wrong about that? It's like you're getting on our case for standing up for ourselves and not being good little submissive heathens.

What happened to "Mandy" after she told her father?  

PhaedraMcSpiffy

Xia Momo Capernicus

Sparkly Pumpkin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:35 pm
He said a bunch of stuff that made her so mad it was hard to breathe. This year, however, they didn't do advent. So she's happy she doesn't have to do it, but pissed because they feel all "i r xian i r prs3cud". if she don't have to participate, then she can tolerate it.

and in my opinion, there is a large difference between tolerance and respect. does anyone else feel this way?

peace out,
momo.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 10:51 am
What the hell?

That's not persecution. Christians are on a persecution kick these days. You need to remind them that being fed to lions is persecution, being sent to concentraton camps is persecution, being killed for your personal religious beliefs is persecution, not criticism. And if their religion is all that great it can stand up to it just fine.

Seriously, tell them that. Just because you aren't a christian, doesn't mean you're persecuting anyone! Also tell them to use a strong word like "persecution" for themselves devalues what people who really were persecuted went through.

Personally, I just go along with whatever my family wants to do, I just don't go to church services. Good thing for me that they really do stuff like that anymore. But the Atheists that do't celebrate christmas on principal have a lot of willpower! ******** that, I want presents!  

Gabrielle Proctor

Anti_Halifax

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:12 pm
The way you said it: "Hey, wanna go to advent?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Atheist"
"Ah."
If the response had been something like "I don't want to go to advent because all christians are clearly retarded noobs" That might have been at least mean.  
~.The Atheist Guild.~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff