Mysterious Drifter

Wealthy Citizen

7,925 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:25 pm

Damn...

I don't understand why Asian parents make a big fuss about their children being the best of the best. They expect their children to score like 2300+ in SATs, A's in all courses, play instrument/sport etc.

For me, I'm Asian and I score like 1510/2400 on the SATs, 3.63 GPA average, and taking like only 4 AP courses at school...

Seriously, I don't understand what the **** is wrong with them...~

any comments/suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:56 pm
I know what you mean.Its hard growing up asian.My parents always pushed too hard so now i fail classes to show them i not perfect.I played sports most my life and have 17 trophies.Mainly baseball.I do well in school but i always fail english.We have hard district full of smart kids and they make us write alot and i cant keep up.It wasnt my first language and im still learning.  

Kisho_The_Pilot

Rebirth Project

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:03 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ninja User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

One more night , I wanna be with you
Where I wanna hold you tight

Their main goal is to open as much number of "doors" as possible for our future, to make sure we won't have any economic problems or job issues. Yet, I noticed they don't realize they're sacrificing our social lives, our dreams, all the things what we want to do.. I was always being told that school came before friends, that I should only hang out with smart person, that grades were more important than social life since you can start it over anytime and those kinds of crap. At times, I wonder if parents do it because they want to steal our life, since theirs wasn't as good as ours, since they don't as much oportunities(sp?) as we do.

On the other side, when I look at what I can do now, I'm quite glad to have recieved the education my parents gave me. Of course, there's things I regret, but I remain enough positive.

There's a reason to everything, after all.

It feels so right
To
night

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:12 pm
Moon Light Ninja
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ninja User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Their main goal is to open as much number of "doors" as possible for our future, to make sure we won't have any economic problems or job issues. Yet, I noticed they don't realize they're sacrificing our social lives, our dreams, all the things what we want to do.. I was always being told that school came before friends, that I should only hang out with smart person, that grades were more important than social life since you can start it over anytime and those kinds of crap. At times, I wonder if parents do it because they want to steal our life, since theirs wasn't as good as ours, since they don't as much oportunities(sp?) as we do.

On the other side, when I look at what I can do now, I'm quite glad to have recieved the education my parents gave me. Of course, there's things I regret, but I remain enough positive.

There's a reason to everything, after all.

It feels so right
To
night

Well, everytime some Asian student gets a B in the class, their parents will most likely respond with disappointment, anger etc.

I don't see why Asian parents should care so much...
Of course, we know that they want use to have good future, but pushing us to put effort isn't going to help us when we graduate from high school and onto college.... or even when we graduate college and find a job =(

Mysterious Drifter

Wealthy Citizen

7,925 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Friendly 100

Rebirth Project

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:37 pm
Tanaka Yuko

Well, everytime some Asian student gets a B in the class, their parents will most likely respond with disappointment, anger etc.

I don't see why Asian parents should care so much...
Of course, we know that they want use to have good future, but pushing us to put effort isn't going to help us when we graduate from high school and onto college.... or even when we graduate college and find a job =(

I observed a little bit closer my parents to notice that it is really difficult to get a good job without a diplome, speaking that well either French or English [I live in Quebec, so French is the main language] and have a hard past on your shoulders (povrety, lack of care from parents, hunger, etc.). I guess their engraved in their minds that their children absolutely not go through what they did or someone else did. Or is it because they grew up admiring a rich and happy person when they couldn't become like him / her?

I do understand that you're trying to let out. It's just that I learned efforts has an important part in a life. If you don't try, how can you know you can do it or not?

It feels so right
To
night

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:41 pm
I don't understand it either. I mean if I get like a high B, my parents go all crazy because I have a high B (like an 89). I guess they just want us to be the leaders of the world or something (that sounded ghey). -shrugs-

[~Panda.DJ]

Noog Nkauj

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:36 pm
IMy parents are always big on academics, probably because they know I can do better than what I get. Heh, my mom freaked when I got a 90 in Math... sweatdrop I don't mind it really, I myself want to do well in academics. As I stated before, I am gifted in academics and I can do better. So it's not that big of a deal with me.

Also, you get a better job when you graduate from a prestigious institution or college. And what Asian parent wouldn't want their kids to have a better life than they do?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:09 pm
you should still want to strive for the best even though people are or aren't pushing you
I'm Asian and with my parents it's like "you gotta work hard and get good grades so you can get a scholarship...."  

ngy922

Generous Businesswoman

8,550 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Kumiko-Misaki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:13 pm
Yeah my parents are the same...minute I get home, and tell her my grades, the first thing she does is ask"which ones did you get an A- in?" Geez, that's not BAD or anything!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:26 pm
Well, Asian parents still have the mindset of being back in the "homeland"...My parents were so used to having extreme competition for jobs, schools, etc. when they were younger, so they kinda think that their kids have to do the same. All in all, they just really want their kids to have a better future, especially in places that that don't really require too much effort to come out on top. I get really sick of it sometimes, because I always have to be the best in all my courses, and it seems like I'm going to school for their sake. But when I think about it, it makes me feel good when I get a 100%, or when I got the highest marks...so yeah, thats my two cents sweatdrop  

Baked-Not Fried

Sek9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:30 pm
yea i know...i get a b and my mom says she wantsa kill me eek

and...(to the person that started the thread)
can i have some gold or items mrgreen
and i know im an idiot beggar  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:31 pm
blabaty
im bored  

Sek9

Sek9

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:55 pm
heeehheeeee...donate 7k plz? mrgreen  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:05 pm
well, my parents were born and raised
in Vietnam
and over there
it's ALL about grades
it's absolutely waay over the top
competitive

alicupcake

Laughing Platypus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:25 pm
Surprisingly, my parents won't get REALLY mad if they know I tried...meaning if I come home all upset, almost in tears about how bad I think I did on xyz.
But, if I don't mention anything about it and they find my score/report card is bad, they'll get pissed and give the guilt trip.  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff