Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Gay fantasy?!? O_o;; Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ayamechan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:04 pm
Given the ages of some guild members, I hope this is... appropriate.

In any case, I wanted to know if I was the only one who was into the stuff (and what got ya into it), and that if anyone is... share authors/books. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:27 pm
That's not really the type of thing that interests me, and I've never understood people's obsessions with yaoi type stuff. And I'm perfectly aware that yaoi usually refers to anime or manga, but I have no better term that doesn't sound awkward when said aloud. Out of the books I've read, the only book that even really has gay hintings is Kushiel's Dart. And even that isn't all that much. Well, there was Undead and Unwed. One of Betsy's best friends is gay, but that doesn't come into it too much. And a series by Orson Scott Card has a gay character. That's all I can think of right now. I feel like i'm forgetting something. I haven't read any straight-out gay fantasy books. I don't believe I've ever even really seen one. Or if I did I've forgotten. Like I said, doesn't really interest me.  

Kolibris

Ayamechan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 9:13 pm
Kolibris
That's not really the type of thing that interests me, and I've never understood people's obsessions with yaoi type stuff. And I'm perfectly aware that yaoi usually refers to anime or manga, but I have no better term that doesn't sound awkward when said aloud. Out of the books I've read, the only book that even really has gay hintings is Kushiel's Dart. And even that isn't all that much. Well, there was Undead and Unwed. One of Betsy's best friends is gay, but that doesn't come into it too much. And a series by Orson Scott Card has a gay character. That's all I can think of right now. I feel like i'm forgetting something. I haven't read any straight-out gay fantasy books. I don't believe I've ever even really seen one. Or if I did I've forgotten. Like I said, doesn't really interest me.

The Kushiel's trilogy, from what I understand, is just set in a world where the people are very, very open about sex, and most of them have had same-sex relations at one point or another. The main romance in the series is most definitely het.

The "gay fantasy" I was thinking of was along the lines of Lackey's Last Herald-Mage trilogy, Flewelling's Nightrunner series, and a lot of Storm Constantine's work (particularly Wraeththu, though I'm not sure that counts as "gay" becuase all the "males" in that series are androgynous).

Mind you, all of them have plots (rather nice ones, in fact) and the romance/smut part of it is mostly in the background, and usually not described at all. You just know that there's DEFINITELY something going on.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:14 am
Yaoi isn't an appropriate term for this genre... Unless the book only have sexual situations and NO plot at all. That's the definition for yaoi.
Anyway, I don't have any special preference for homosexual relationships in books. I read because of the story, so I don't care about the character's sexual preferences.  

Takiko-chan

Kolibris

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:46 pm
Fine, then shounen-ai. I don't know exact word meanings. I just use them. Despite the fact that I keep telling myself not to.

I've read a couple of Mercedes Lackey's books, and didn't like them one bit. I read her version of the Swan Princess (I think it was The Black Swan or something like that) and Winds of Change (or was it Fury?) or one of those books. They bored me, so that explains why I haven't read the aforementioned series. And I've never read anything by either of the other authors. I tend to stick to authors I already know. Or similar books, at the very least.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:26 pm
Takiko-chan
Yaoi isn't an appropriate term for this genre... Unless the book only have sexual situations and NO plot at all. That's the definition for yaoi.
Anyway, I don't have any special preference for homosexual relationships in books. I read because of the story, so I don't care about the character's sexual preferences.

Plots are always good things. The sexual orientation of the character is a bonus... it's unusual, and I like unusual stuff. ^^;;  

Ayamechan

Flux_o_color

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:31 pm
Well, i have not read any gay books but I think it would add a bonus just cause most books don't touch on that subject. it would be fun to mix it up a bit. and you are such a scorpio!!!(Takiko-chan) I love it...I found Kushiel's Dart to be boring, wich sucks cause I saw that book for so long and fell in love with the cover, there were some pretty hot moment though  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:32 am
Why am I a scorpio? sweatdrop  

Takiko-chan

Flux_o_color

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:05 pm
I'm so sorry, I totally meant Ayamechan!! But if it makes you feel better, your kinda on the cusp of Virgo-Libra.........very interesting mix!! mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:56 am
Flux_o_color
Well, i have not read any gay books but I think it would add a bonus just cause most books don't touch on that subject. it would be fun to mix it up a bit. and you are such a scorpio!!!(Takiko-chan) I love it...I found Kushiel's Dart to be boring, wich sucks cause I saw that book for so long and fell in love with the cover, there were some pretty hot moment though

*shrug* Carey's other book, Banewreaker (and probably its sequal) is a MUCH better gauge of her potential as a writer than the Kushiel's series was.  

Ayamechan

Flux_o_color

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:04 pm
Thanks, does she use the same sexy/panic as she does in kushiel? cause that was probably what I liked the most. Not that I'm wierdo, just human.........unfortunatly mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:34 pm
Flux_o_color
Thanks, does she use the same sexy/panic as she does in kushiel? cause that was probably what I liked the most. Not that I'm wierdo, just human.........unfortunatly mrgreen

No.

But the book makes you actually think about which side is the just one. o.o  

Ayamechan

Flux_o_color

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:46 pm
Has anyone read the creapy books..Sleeping Beuty-Anne Rice?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:05 am
Flux_o_color
Has anyone read the creapy books..Sleeping Beuty-Anne Rice?

Damn, I'm getting a "Sleeping Beauty" trauma. There are 2 mangas with this title already, and now a book too?! gonk  

Takiko-chan

Flux_o_color

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:32 pm
Ann Rice wrote them but there kinda disturbing.......she writes them in a way that Sleeping gets woken up by the prince and he takes her to his lands of sex slaveness..sorta wierd, I think you need to be into that sorta thing to like the books. I realy didn't like it that much.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff