Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
the term "eclectic" Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Boadicia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:09 am
Personally, I'm reluctant to call myself eclectic, though I am solitary right now. The word eclectic seems to give a lot of people the idea that someone grabs a little from here, a little from there, and a little from over there and then tries to squish it into a big mess. An exaggerated example was someone invoking Greek deities with Egyptian chants in a Celtic ritual. eek I don't do that, at least not consciously confused , so I consider it somewhat of a misnomer to some people. Maybe I'm just neurotic.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:15 am
Boadicia
Personally, I'm reluctant to call myself eclectic, though I am solitary right now. The word eclectic seems to give a lot of people the idea that someone grabs a little from here, a little from there, and a little from over there and then tries to squish it into a big mess. An exaggerated example was someone invoking Greek deities with Egyptian chants in a Celtic ritual. eek I don't do that, at least not consciously confused , so I consider it somewhat of a misnomer to some people. Maybe I'm just neurotic.

From what I know, ecelectic does mean a person who picks and chooses what they want. The term, like fluffy bunny, seems to fit a lot of people. Now, depending upon how much knowledge of the core religions you are doing it to, it can cross the lines into religious/culture rape.

It is fine to be an eclectic, but please know your stuff, so that when asked, you do not get the look of death from someone who actually follows the religion you borrowed from.  

jaden kendam

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:57 am
unlike some others, I don't assume that eclectic has to mean culture rape. I think most people are capable of careful thought and research and respect when it comes to other peoples religions.

However, there are a large number of people, while capable, don't.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:26 am
You could also pair the meanings of ecclecticism and syncreticism for they both mean similar things. Human beings as a whole tend to be syncretic... we take bits and pieces of things we experience that can come from different sources and assemble them into our worldview. Even the most fundamentalist religious purist is going to be effected by this process on some level. Paganism in particular has historically been by nature, syncretic. Upon hearing from a different deity in another land, it wasn't uncommon for aspects of that deity to be adopted into their culture. Because of this it usually gives me a little chuckle when some Neopagans get uppity about this exact same sort of syncreticism occuring in modern Paganism by those usually termed 'Ecclectic.' New, original, syncreticized ideas are often unpopular by those who place a strong value on the fundamentals of a thing. Problem is there is no objective way to evaluate if a syncretic system is crack or if it's worthwhile or 'valid.' Such evaulations are by their nature, subjectively based in individual values.

Regardless, they'll always be someone who disagrees with how you do things so at some point you just have to follow what you want to follow and accept the consequences that arise from your chosen path. People will judge you regardless of what your label is or if you even use a label at all. At some point you've got to stop worrying about that and just be yourself, ya know?  

Starlock

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:44 am
I don't mind eclectics- as long as they gather their tradition together in an ethical way.

See- not every culture is Closed or even semi-closed.

There are many different groups you can choose from that don't involve culture rape. Mine just isn't one of them. Neither is Reagun's, nor Stitches, nor my friend Wakaba's.

It's not like our traditions are the only ones in the world. wink  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:30 pm
I also don't mind eclectics. After all, aren't most Pagan religions about finding your own personal path? If all roads lead to the same place then what does it matter which one you chose? We all experience reality differently and have unique thoughts and feelings about certain things.

I say as long as things are taken with morality then believe and let believe.  

crystal_raye

crystal_raye

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:32 pm
Also, didn't Scott Cunningham once write something like "Don't make fun of others beliefs, for who can say that your own are correct"?  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:06 am
crystal_raye
I also don't mind eclectics. After all, aren't most Pagan religions about finding your own personal path? .

I am wondering how many faiths say that you can pick and choose what you want to believe without following at least the basic principles of said religion. Being that there are a hell of a lot of pagan religions, I really am curious.  

jaden kendam

jaden kendam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:08 am
crystal_raye
Also, didn't Scott Cunningham once write something like "Don't make fun of others beliefs, for who can say that your own are correct"?

Cunningham also tried to make a branch of Wicca that did not follow what Wicca was, so what does that say about him?

And he does have a point to an extent, but I do not make fun of others who say they are ecclectics, it is only when they show a lack of concern for the faiths they borrowed from that makes me ill.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:05 am
crystal_raye
If all roads lead to the same place then what does it matter which one you chose?
I've never sat well with the idea that my path takes me the same place as, well, anyone else's. It may be just as fulfilling, but I doubt anyone else is going to end up where I will be because they're not following my path. To say there is some universal goal or end is just about as ridiculous as saying all gods are one.

My path is not going to take me the same place as a Jewish person's.

On eclecticism, I don't mind people finding what really speaks to them and following it through. But for me, following it through implies careful study, thought, practise and interweaving of theologies. No bastardised, "Pick a god from column A and goddess from column B." To respect an eclectic I expect them to know what the ******** they're talking about and have a coherent backup for it.

I also have great admiration for those who can manage it properly. It seems like a very difficult path to get right.  

Pelta

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:16 am
Likewise, I don't think every path dumps out at the same place. Seems too much like a water park for me.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:33 am
Religious paths tend to lead to the 'same' place in that in an overarching sense, religious paths instill a sense of reconnection or belonging to something (the 'something' is usually the divine but could also be something else) most often accompanied by greater understanding and insight about some aspect of reality. Granted that's pretty darned broad, but the case can be made.  

Starlock

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:33 am
Starlock
Religious paths tend to lead to the 'same' place in that in an overarching sense, religious paths instill a sense of reconnection or belonging to something (the 'something' is usually the divine but could also be something else) most often accompanied by greater understanding and insight about some aspect of reality. Granted that's pretty darned broad, but the case can be made.
i'd hazard to say then that it doesn't lead to the same place, but has some of the same "weather", and barely.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:00 am
crystal_raye
After all, aren't most Pagan religions about finding your own personal path?
No. Most Pagan religions are about honoring the gods as they see fit.

Most of the Recon theologies, and the pagan religions that never went away (read: Hinduism, Shinto etc), don't give a flying rat's a** about your mental masturbation as to how you feel the Kami of Mt. Hiei should be worshiped according to you.

Maybe one or two neo-pagan theologies focus on "your" path- but not all and not even most given that non-eclectic paths have traditions and in many cases, prohibitions as to how deities are to be worshiped.

Quote:
If all roads lead to the same place then what does it matter which one you chose?

False assumption.

My path doesn't lead to the same place Nuri's does, nor to the same place that Stitches' does- or any of a range of practices that aren't bound to my gods.

Quote:
I say as long as things are taken with morality then believe and let believe.
stare You are aware that some moralities say that you not believing the same as their group means they get to kill you, yes? rolleyes

crystal_raye

And if he did?

Cunningham isn't gospel- in fact, there are some serious arguments to suggest he was an amoral b*****d who raped a beautiful theology in favor of making lots of money.

Further- I can prove that my belief that person X is not a 33rd Generation Wiccan who was burned at the stake in Salem Village.

Objective Reality > Individual's mental Masturbation.

Compound the insult that I commonly run across. "My Grandma was a G~, so I am a G~ Witch who worships Diana!"  

TeaDidikai

crystal_raye

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:52 pm
Okay, whatever. To each his own.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items