Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:39 am
Good news first.

My Dad has been making me a superb wargaming table for the last, oh, year, and has fianlly finished. Giant 4x4 surfact, with a fence to keep models from falling off, and an equally large shelf mounted 18" lower, to keep all my scenery and the like.

Now, the problem at hand.

I'm going to coat the gaming surface with static grass, but I can't figure out a good way to do this evenly. Does anyone know how to do this, possibly GW staff that has made these kind of tables before?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:02 pm

Yeah, you can get rolls of the stuff.

They're about a metre or so across, and pretty long, so get yourself and some mates to club in to get it.
It's generally hard wearing too, but not spill/stain/knobhead resistant.

This is Games Workshop's official mat. 120x180cm, so that works about to about 4 foot by 5 foot.

15 quid, 30 dollars or so.

Not terrible, and cheaper than buying 63987456045 tubs of flock.
smile

-Mykal

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:22 pm
A.R.G.U.S Mykal

Yeah, you can get rolls of the stuff.

They're about a metre or so across, and pretty long, so get yourself and some mates to club in to get it.
It's generally hard wearing too, but not spill/stain/knobhead resistant.

This is Games Workshop's official mat. 120x180cm, so that works about to about 4 foot by 5 foot.

15 quid, 30 dollars or so.

Not terrible, and cheaper than buying 63987456045 tubs of flock.
smile

-Mykal
True enough. Gotta love horrible coincidences, though; it's 3/4 of an inch too short on one side. However, there should easily be enough left on the long end to patch it up.

Thanks. smile

Edit: This does have grass on it, right? Not just paper?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:33 pm
It's got grass, otherwise it'd be a really poor grass mat non?  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:34 pm
Lt. Brookman
It's got grass, otherwise it'd be a really poor grass mat non?
As opposed to a poster-like mat that looks like it's got grass.

I'm just making absolutely sure. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:44 pm
It's grass, just not as much as basing static grass. The ones that a friend got were 2x4.  

Marcus McFlufferson

n0ught

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:19 pm
is the table flat? if so your best bet is to get a roll of GW static grass mating, its a sheet 4'x6'. if that isnt readily available modeling shops sell the same kind of stuff for railways, though im not sure of dimensions. the best way to apply it is to buy a can of spray adhesive and spray it evenyl across the table leaving to dry for rouchly 30 seconds-1 minute then pull the mat torte and lay it firmly on the table. atleast thats how we used to teach kids how to make a basic board in the GW store i worked at.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:24 pm

It's got a texture like Action Man's fuzzy head, circa 1996. If you don't get that there, or are too young to remember it well, then I'd say a bit like felt, but rougher and longer.

-Mykal

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

n0ught

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 5:26 pm
lol, ill never think of static grass mat in thesame way. thanks a.r.g.u.s rofl lol  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:53 am
A.R.G.U.S Mykal

It's got a texture like Action Man's fuzzy head, circa 1996. If you don't get that there, or are too young to remember it well, then I'd say a bit like felt, but rougher and longer.

-Mykal

Only unlike with those fuzzy heads, the grass wont let go after extended periods of play.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:53 am
Lt. Brookman
A.R.G.U.S Mykal

-Mykal

Only unlike with those fuzzy heads, the grass wont let go after extended periods of play.

The mats in my hobby shop are haggard xcore, knobheads keep knocking it and dragging s**t over it.

Look after it and it won't fanny up for you.

-Mykal

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:45 am
Screw the fake a** foam board get some bloody sand and make a damn desert! i get so bored from playing on the same astro turf with trees, make some damn hills too. try looking at the Tomb Lords senery for ideas. maybe ill take some pics of my stuff.

Pick up white dwarf too biggrin (if you have bloody 8 bucks...)  

HawaiianHero

darkmage676

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:22 pm
i have the mat really good my only prob was that i didnt pull it tight enough and theres "ripples"in the center of the board and it will get destoryed if i try to take it off after i got trigger happy with a nail gun xd probably have to iron it out  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:15 am
HawaiianHero
Screw the fake a** foam board get some bloody sand and make a damn desert! i get so bored from playing on the same astro turf with trees, make some damn hills too. try looking at the Tomb Lords senery for ideas. maybe ill take some pics of my stuff.

Pick up white dwarf too biggrin (if you have bloody 8 bucks...)

Dayum.
Sand, that's a good idea.
Why didn't I think of that?

Bag of builder sand £4
Large tub of PVA £10
Brush £3

Four days for sand to dry out before use - priceless, but you get a sand bored!

For everything else, there's Mastercard.  

Marcus McFlufferson

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:27 pm

For those of us who give a s**t about our models, sand is all well and good until someone nudges the table a tad too hard, or gets over-excited and one of his priceless commander's topples over.
I'd much rather have some soft grass for him to fall on, rather than dragged across sandpaper.

Screw that fake grass suff, if you want your models to have real battle damage, use sand!

-Mykal

Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces