Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Slapdash phrases and Assumptions in the Pagan Scene Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:13 am
a**-umption.

Now that is out of my system- we move on.

Myself- I am inclined to carry a Nerf Bat with me when I know I will be meeting new Pagans. The idea of beating someone with foam upon having a thoughtless "Merry Meet!" blasted at me by some fool who doesn't know if it will be a Merry Meeting or not amuses me to no ends. As does the mental image of Happy Dancing T-bone Steaks (usually with tophats, white gloves, saddle shoes and a cane) … but I think that belongs in another thread.

The number of assumptions in the pagan scene as to the meaning of a handful of symbols and the use of generic-slapdash-Wiccan-influenced terms is enough to drive me insane.

I want to point out to folks who greet me with "Merry Meet!" that they look just as dorky as a Trek-nerd saying "Live Long and Prosper" when departing.

It feeds into the idea that "Pagan Religion X isn't a Theology, but a Fandom". And when rights hang on credibility, this is an important distinction.

I will admit I make more allowances for Christians in this case. I live in a country where you can line up ten people and the odds are that 8 of them belong to the same Religion if not the same sect. But as Pagan faiths are in the minority, and the term is an umbrella term to begin with- why use something other than the overall cultural linguistic greeting.

The other thing that irks me is the confusion within many religions that the Pent has a set meaning. The history of the symbol pre-dates it’s primary theological uses, but within the Pagan scene it is so tied with “Wicca” that arsehat assumptions are made.

No Nerf Bats are good enough for this infraction. My usual response is something of “What? No. I’m not Wiccan- the five points represent the Five Wounds of Christ! Did you know that Yeshua ben Yoseph was sacrificed in order to put an end to the Sin Offerings of the Temple! You don’t have to sacrifice animals to atone anymore!”

So- feel free to post some of the amusing or annoying assumptions you come across in the pagan scene.

And I don't want to see a single post about how many Christians make mistakes about pagan-things. We have dozens of those threads already.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:33 am
How about when people find out someone is a medium, they automatically start talking about having the person go and look into a haunted house.

Sadly, I know "spiritualists" who do this, but should not because they have no concept of blocking or actually communication with a "non-progressed" spirit.

And yes, there are even spirits that I would not communicate with. Like serial killers in prisons, or people who had severe mental issues. Not always the best idea, even for someone who has an idea of how to do it. I get a smile on my face when people tell me about ghosts that are insane and how they banished them with but a single thought. Not spell, or communication, but thought. Like "leave". I am sure it can be done, but not by the ones who claim it like they are God's (any) gift to mediums or something.

Or how about the question that I get a lot? Do you do the Oija board? I hate having to explain that one.

Or I get the question of "When am I (they) going to die?" I always tell them that A. I am not a fortune teller. B. Even if I were to know, I would not tell them. It is kind of bad form to tell someone that they are going to die in another ten years and then see them panic like crazy.  

jaden kendam

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:54 am
I will never forget the very earnest couple infomring me that my Kindred wasn't a proper one because we didn't have thirteen members. All protestations that I wasn't Wiccan fell on deaf ears.

I move less in pagan circles face to face now, but I do wonder how many will assume I'm a "Celtic Wiccan" due to the knot hammer around my neck.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:33 pm
I made the silly mistake of wearing my pentacle to school, and my friend Chloe comes up to me, and goes, "Do you practice Voodoo?"

Or, no the best thing is, that if you go up to a friend of yours, or someone who found you were a witch, and tell them you eat babies, they believe you. I did it twice. It's funny how gullible people are. It's like going up to someone and saying that if you say the words "Ice cream" really slowly, it will sound like cheese, and them actually doing it. Wait...no...they actually did do that. Maybe it's my friends.

My friend Heather also, will stake her life in the fact that she's a Wiccan, so I asked her when did she get initiated, and her answer was,
"What's an initiation." Case closed.  

Aya Azura

Pelta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:01 pm
I come in with the most annoying:

"Blessed Be!"

What bee? Who's blessing me? Why do I want it? Why do you think I need it? WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!?!?

Ahhh... Glad I got that off my chest.

Incidentally, (I know we weren't supposed to talk about Christian stuff...) I quite like it when Christians say, "God bless," to me and really mean it. It's a very nice gesture and I appreciate it. Saying, "Blessed be," in general is just so inane it's like the aforementioned trekkie greeting: A way of affirming your membership to a secret society of dorks.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:16 pm
By Grabthar's Hammer, people who just quote pop-culture images of pagan ideas are freaking annoying.

Other than Merry Meet, Bright Blessing, and Blessed Be, I haven't heard too many others.

Oh wait, no I have. This is the one that annoys me the most - it annoyed me when I was a practicing Christian, and it annoys me now. Pop-pagan X is getting ready to play a song, talk about a movie, or discuss a book critical of Christianity, turns to any Christians in the group, and says "Now, I know this might offend you, because you're Christian, but..."

This really irked me when I was in a mixed Christian/Jewish/Pagan/Atheist group that was tight-knit on everything except religion. What degree of cognitive dissonance does it take to turn to a friend, someone you would risk your life for (in some cases, have actually done so), immediately assume they're going to be offended by something because of their religion, and then decide to do it anyway?

Of course, there's always the standard answer to anything in any holy text a pop-pagan doesn't like - "That's a mistranslation".  

Henry Dorsett Case

Pelta

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:26 pm
Henry Dorsett Case
By Grabthar's Hammer, people who just quote pop-culture images of pagan ideas are freaking annoying.
By Morodin's Beard! :XP:

"Oh my goddess!" Is another popular one that pisses me off. Though granted, I have been known to let slip an unintentional, "Oh gods!" every now and then.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:34 pm
missmagpie
"Oh my goddess!" Is another popular one that pisses me off. Though granted, I have been known to let slip an unintentional, "Oh gods!" every now and then.
I'll let the occasional "Xia Fali" slip when I'm speaking, but in part only because Fali has informed me that using a supplication to her as an epithet actually kind of pleases her.  

Henry Dorsett Case

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:19 pm
I hate it when a member of the general Pagan community will come up and start talking to me about alien encounters or about how they were Napoleon in a past life. Just because I'm Pagan too doesn't mean I believe every stupid thing under the sun.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:30 pm
[Kudzu]
I hate it when a member of the general Pagan community will come up and start talking to me about alien encounters or about how they were Napoleon in a past life. Just because I'm Pagan too doesn't mean I believe every stupid thing under the sun.

I was just watching a show on the History Channel yesterday about people who believe in past lives and that they are really aliens inhabiting a human body.
I think one said he was Ponchus Pilot (sp?).
Another said she was a prostitue during world war II and was killed by a mob for having sex with german soldiers to save her own skin.
Another said that he was a famous pilot who was shot down in WWII. He did not say the name of the famous pilot though.

What got me as funny though, and I am sorry for this Tea, but they had a guy who teaches Christian Science at some Christian School, and he said something like, these people hold onto non-factual beliefs to support thiers ideas, instead of the tried and truley tested Christianity that has all the answers.  

jaden kendam

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:34 pm
[Kudzu]

This is my big thing. I could care less if people say Blessed Be/Merry Meet, whatever, as long as it is said with meaning or serves a function.

But asking me to believe you when you have obviously gone crazy...yeah, sure. I might hear you, but I'm not really listening.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:02 pm
Ooh, ooh, another stupid assumption that bugs me...

Just because I'm Pagan too doesn't mean that I agree with your politics.  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:03 pm
[Kudzu]
Ooh, ooh, another stupid assumption that bugs me...

Just because I'm Pagan too doesn't mean that I agree with your politics.

oh yes. I'm fairly liberal, and I still have to say this to people.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:41 pm
Nuri

But asking me to believe you when you have obviously gone crazy...yeah, sure. I might hear you, but I'm not really listening.

Is that why no one listens to me?  

jaden kendam

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:36 pm
It irks me to see people, usualy high schoolers, telling every one they hang with that they are Wikkan and acting like this places them in a superior realm of understanding and connection with the world. Oh please! I may be Christian, but I can appreciate nature and life as much as the next person.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff