Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Extended Vision Advise Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:00 am
There is a concept in magic of "second sight" or "other sight" which includes the ability to see auras, see non-corporeal creatures, etc. I'm curious what advise and techniques people have for extending and strengthening these abilities, as well as any other extra-sensory abilities.

^^  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:11 am
I've been wondering about this as well.

I'm curious...Is there something that sets "seeing an aura" apart from subconsciously picking up cues from body language? I've heard people describe auras in terms of colors, but I don't know if that's more of a fluffy New Age take on it or what. I mean, is it something you "see" with your eyes or is it another kind of sensory experience that the sight metaphor is used for because it's one of those things you can't explain to people who don't already know what you're talking about? Would the "subconscious cues"-type be something more like empathy--in which case, what's different or additional in seeing auras, and what else goes into empathy, and would empathy be considered under the realm of "second sight" or is it something else?  

TheDisreputableDog

Pelta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:37 am
TheDisreputableDog
I'm curious...Is there something that sets "seeing an aura" apart from subconsciously picking up cues from body language?
There was a doctor who invented a specific type of glasses to see the aura around the human body. He was the first guy to prove that things like an auric field might exist. I've just come home from a long day in college and the name escapes me, but I'll find out where that came from.

As far as I know, though, he never saw them as different colors. The glasses saw all auras as blue.

I tend to get very skeptical about people who say they actually see them. It's one thing to sense someone's mood. It's another to misinterpret retinal burn.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:59 am
The easy way to look and practice seeing auras is to look beyond the person. Basically, just look straight at the outside of them. Like they are characters in a coloring book, and you are trying to figure out if the line is black, red, or blue.

As for talking with spirits, I think I told Deo how to do it, but for the rest of the class, before you go to bed at night ask for nothing but the brightest and the best, and they might show up to talk to you while you are sleeping.  

jaden kendam

Pelta

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:03 am
deadmanjake
As for talking with spirits, I think I told Deo how to do it, but for the rest of the class, before you go to bed at night ask for nothing but the brightest and the best, and they might show up to talk to you while you are sleeping.
But how do you know they're spirits and not just elements of your psyche talking to you?

Good ole Freud...  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:22 am
missmagpie
deadmanjake
But how do you know they're spirits and not just elements of your psyche talking to you?

Good ole Freud...

You would have to ask the people I have given messages to.  

jaden kendam

Tsuzuki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:41 am
Deoridhe
There is a concept in magic of "second sight" or "other sight" which includes the ability to see auras, see non-corporeal creatures, etc. I'm curious what advise and techniques people have for extending and strengthening these abilities, as well as any other extra-sensory abilities.

^^
Practice makes perfect, I'd imagine.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:09 pm
Deoridhe

^^

OGYF KAN U SEE GADS?!?! LIEK TEH BEBE JEEBUS?!?

*cough*

Well there's the tried and true "can you hear me now?" test, except you replace hear me with see my aura. Only way that doesn't work is when the tester doesn't know what the s**t he/she's projecting, so...

missmagpie

Good ole Freud...

Eventually you'll be able to tell the difference between your selves and other people through practice. (Hint: Selves tend to be predictable)

Tsuzuki

That's like saying "If I wake up, I probably won't be asleep". Rather the push is the more you try, the more you know.  

Loki the Trickster

Pelta

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:34 am
I've come into contact with two spirits through dreams. Both times it wasn't pleasant. But then, both of those were negative constructs...

I find seeing them is partially relying on your intuition. You know when something in a room is just wrong. You find the source and sometimes you may be able to make out an outline.

That's about as vague as I can be, because I don't actually have a technique for doing it.

One thing to keep in mind is that often these things are astral. So you're not going to see them with your physical eyes. More likely they'll show up as impressions in your mind.  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:43 am
Loki the Trickster
missmagpie

Good ole Freud...

Eventually you'll be able to tell the difference between your selves and other people through practice. (Hint: Selves tend to be predictable)

Selves tend to be predictable? Are you certain you're being honest with yourself? I'm not predictable to myself and my Shadow Self certainly isn't predictable to myself, otherwise I wouldn't laugh at it, which anyone who's spent extended time in my presence has witnessed.
I can't reconcile your post with my personal experiences nor with my psychological understanding of the mind. It really doesn't make sense to me that you would think that there is a way to be certain that it's not just elements of your psyche and not ghosts until you verify with external sources.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:58 am
missmagpie

Good ole Freud...

To be dead honest, there's no more evidence for Freud's ideas than there is for anything else unfalsifiable. While I think he had a decent start on there being different levels of consciousness, I disagree with most of the rest of his theories and some of them have been shown to clearly be wrong (gender differentiation and sexualization occuring around 6, for example) despite his best efforts of making them unfalsifiable.

I tend to default toward Jung, myself, but I would.

Tsuzuki

Practicing what?

Loki the Trickster
OGYF KAN U SEE GADS?!?! LIEK TEH BEBE JEEBUS?!?

*cough*

Well there's the tried and true "can you hear me now?" test, except you replace hear me with see my aura. Only way that doesn't work is when the tester doesn't know what the s**t he/she's projecting, so...

I see wyrd people. And the most amazing thing is - they don't even know their WYRD!!! gonk

With some Tea coaching I was able to see a little bit; I blink a lot to make sure it isn't retnal burn and don't fix my eyes. It's not easy, though, and I've only seen color with two people, and both of those were when I was first trying.

missmagpie
I've come into contact with two spirits through dreams. Both times it wasn't pleasant. But then, both of those were negative constructs...

I find seeing them is partially relying on your intuition. You know when something in a room is just wrong. You find the source and sometimes you may be able to make out an outline.

That's about as vague as I can be, because I don't actually have a technique for doing it.

One thing to keep in mind is that often these things are astral. So you're not going to see them with your physical eyes. More likely they'll show up as impressions in your mind.

I'm aiming more toward the seeing part right now, to be honest. My intuition tends to be fairly accurate, and I've met the odd god/landwight. Maybe I should try with the landvaettir next and try that "track down and look" thing. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:00 pm
Deoridhe
To be dead honest, there's no more evidence for Freud's ideas than there is for anything else unfalsifiable. While I think he had a decent start on there being different levels of consciousness, I disagree with most of the rest of his theories and some of them have been shown to clearly be wrong (gender differentiation and sexualization occuring around 6, for example) despite his best efforts of making them unfalsifiable.
Heh. I know what you mean. I was just pointing out that things you find in dreams aren't necessarily spirits talking to you, even if you might think/hope they are.

Quote:
I'm aiming more toward the seeing part right now, to be honest. My intuition tends to be fairly accurate, and I've met the odd god/landwight. Maybe I should try with the landvaettir next and try that "track down and look" thing. sweatdrop
If you came to Ireland you could have one hell of a time practising. We could take you down to Glendalough or Phoenix park and introduce you to all the happy fellows there...

On second thought, maybe not. I like you too much. wink  

Pelta

jaden kendam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:14 pm
missmagpie
Deoridhe
Heh. I know what you mean. I was just pointing out that things you find in dreams aren't necessarily spirits talking to you, even if you might think/hope they are.

Well, the method I described is just a way to learn who they are, that way, in the waking world, when they brushed up against you, or you heard them call your name, you would know who they are.

Like when someone calls your name, and you an others hear, it, but the person who you thought it was had indeed, not called you.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:44 pm
reagun ban
Loki the Trickster

Selves tend to be predictable? Are you certain you're being honest with yourself? I'm not predictable to myself and my Shadow Self certainly isn't predictable to myself, otherwise I wouldn't laugh at it, which anyone who's spent extended time in my presence has witnessed.
I can't reconcile your post with my personal experiences nor with my psychological understanding of the mind. It really doesn't make sense to me that you would think that there is a way to be certain that it's not just elements of your psyche and not ghosts until you verify with external sources.

I'm not referring to the common OMG I THENK I KNO MAJIK or I SE DED PPL scrub, for obvious reasons. Assuming that the person in question can assert the difference between the two without a shadow of a doubt, and is in this case correct, they should be able to better distinguish the difference with better experience.  

Loki the Trickster

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:52 pm
missmagpie
There was a doctor who invented a specific type of glasses to see the aura around the human body. He was the first guy to prove that things like an auric field might exist. I've just come home from a long day in college and the name escapes me, but I'll find out where that came from.

As far as I know, though, he never saw them as different colors. The glasses saw all auras as blue.
I've seen similar things. They aren't the same as what someone who can see auras sees.

Quote:
I tend to get very skeptical about people who say they actually see them. It's one thing to sense someone's mood. It's another to misinterpret retinal burn.
True.

Which is any anyone worth their salt will:

1) Experience Retinal Burn so they can tell the difference.
2) Test their experiences by having someone who is adept at working with their own energy manipulate it.

Deoridhe

With some Tea coaching I was able to see a little bit; I blink a lot to make sure it isn't retnal burn and don't fix my eyes. It's not easy, though, and I've only seen color with two people, and both of those were when I was first trying.
sweatdrop I really hope I don't get in trouble for this.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff