Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply An Anime Addict's Guild
Anime distributed through YouTube: Right or wrong? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cola Addict

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:29 pm
Anime distributed through YouTube: Right or Wrong? You make the choice.

In recent weeks now turning to months, a mass amount of members of Gaia have mentioned that they have seened their favorite anime TV or OVA on YouTube. For those who still don't know what YouTube is or have seened the website, it has been called the sister site of MySpace. I don't see the similiarities on both but YouTube is a place for members to practically add videos. I guess a lot of people have abused it to add other things besides video such as TV Shows, Cartoons, Anime & even movies are now being added to YouTube.

Is it legal? It obviously isn't. I use YouTube and have noticed a recent crackdown on shutting down a lot of videos that break copyright laws. I don't have the slightest idea what happens to the users who add these videos but i'm sure it's a federal offense to reproduce already licensed video. It's like selling bootleg movies here in Los Angeles in the Downtown area.

I admit, i have seened a small amount of anime that i never got a chance to see in recent years. Such titles consist of Chobits, Rizelmine, Please Twins, Please Teacher. Even anime that hasn't been licensed and have been re-produced by fan subbers that also break the law. At the moment FUNimation is cracking down on fan-subbers that are distributing the upcoming domestic release of School Rumble TV seasons 1 & 2 and the OVA through the internet. I think it's a bit to late as i took a glance at most of the School Rumble TV & OVA on YouTube. Fortunately for me i'm a good boy and anxiously awaiting for early 2007 to buy School Rumble Anime at a retailer. 3nodding

Also, i do admit to watching old anime that i never got a chance to see when they were fresh out of the distributing company such as ADV or Geneon. What i haven't done is view newer anime which i could buy if i find it interesting.

Still it doesn't change the fact that i screwed ADV or Geneon by not buying a certain title and watching it on YouTube instead. I remember a few months back when i wanted to buy the whole Chobits TV series. Then i found it on YouTube and saved myself money.

That's another thing, companies such as ADV and Geneon are losing big bucks. I say maybe 50% of the profits have dropped since YouTube opened their doors.

This situation is worse. Sure we have Torrents and Fan subbers with their own sites on-line but that would take some time and some money. You can access YouTube in seconds and be loading any Anime within seconds as well. It's that easy. neutral

So what do you think about this situation? Do you use YouTube for Anime needs? Are you against re-production of anime? I would like to hear your part about this. In my opinion this situation is thus far the worser then downloading music on-line. YouTube is a website that no one can keep out of their mouths. eek

For the record please do not promote the YouTube site by linking YouTube through this thread. It's against guild rules anyway. If someone without knowledge about what this topic is about appears please do not re-direct them to the YouTube site even if they beg. Thank you.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:01 pm
the crack down your talking about is because google recently bought out you tube, so all the anime is going bye bye. i hear their renaming it googtube. blah.
i never use it to watch anime, i have about twenty sites that have free anime that i prefer. i just hope that don't touch the amvs  

The Dark Dragon of Chaos

pandearing

Shy Inquisitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:30 pm
the demon of chaos
i hear their renaming it googtube. blah.

Googtube?

D: Ew.

...anyway. I DO watch some anime on Youtube, but mainly because I want a 'preview' of said anime to see if I'd like it or not. If I do end up liking it, though, I always go out and purchase it from my anime store.

I guess for me it's better than wasting my money on a series that I'm not even going to watch because I didn't even know if I'd like it in the first place. =/  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:06 am
Even if I were to stream illegal anime free I would not watch things on Youtube. I can not stand bad quality. I use Youtube for two things. Abridged Yu-gi-oh and J-music clips.

I aprove of Youtube stopping the anime eps. and movies on it's site.  

Wyrn

Shameless Stalker

Pixie_PunkX

Fashionable Genius

8,350 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:37 pm
I agree with sampling an episode or two just to see if the series is good. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:33 pm
now, I will admit i have watched full episodes on youtube (mostly Inuyasha, like the older episodes I don't own on DVD....they will be mine soon cool ) but that's only because they stopped airing the older older episodes where I live so I'm like out of a completly humongus loop. but that's the ONLY reason I beileve that they should put certain episodes on Youtube because they stopped airing them and i'm completly poor. s

but Googtube???? ew.....  

Kuro Fukai

perplexi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:53 pm
I think it's right in some cases. I mean, there some anime series that are never going to make it to America, no matter how much we want them too. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:02 pm
hail_lexi
I think it's right in some cases. I mean, there some anime series that are never going to make it to America, no matter how much we want them too. 3nodding

I thought they would never licnece Beck. Next thing I know my favorite distribution company got the rights to it. So never say never.  

Wyrn

Shameless Stalker

darkdark7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:56 pm
well, ninja thinks youtubes ok. she uses it for anime that she cant watch elsewhere, such as ouran and princess princess. and if friends dont have the anime she goes there to watch  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:11 pm
There should be maybe the first episode of any series on there. No more than that. Its basically stealing anime.  

ChanceOfRayne

Cola Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:21 pm
the demon of chaos
the crack down your talking about is because google recently bought out you tube, so all the anime is going bye bye. i hear their renaming it googtube.

Googtube? Eww......

Is there evidence on that on-line i can read myself?

Wyrn
Even if I were to stream illegal anime free I would not watch things on Youtube. I can not stand bad quality. I use Youtube for two things. Abridged Yu-gi-oh and J-music clips.

I aprove of Youtube stopping the anime eps. and movies on it's site.

Hold on a minute there......not all video found on YouTube are bad quality. I've seened some really clean anime on YouTube. Sometimes there are more then one file for each anime. If i run into an anime that is bad quality i just search for a cleaner video. It's like LimeWire where in some cases a file is not complete or extorted. You can just go to the next file.

hail_lexi

Ditto.

I am begging that someday Geneon in the U.S. would license He is my master. Who knows when that would happen. Who knows if it ever will. I've seened all 12 episodes, i enjoyed the comedy and ecchi but i would love to own it on DVD. Imported version of He is my master is available but i haven't had any luck finding it anywhere.

There tons of other stuff that have been neglected for years as well that never made it to the states. Which of course you can find on YouTube.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:36 am
I never found any that match up to my desired quality. It might help if I did not try to full screen them. But my eyesight it usually not good enough for little tiny subs.  

Wyrn

Shameless Stalker

Washu_Takahashi

Shameless Sex Symbol

15,725 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:41 pm
I guess it's not exactally 'right', but I would be very angery if they took those videos off. If it wasn't for youtube, I wouldn't have seen animes like Full Moon Wo Sagashite, Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch, and a few others here and there. As long as they say 'I didn't make this' I don't really think it's wrong. If that's the case, even videos made out of clips from animes/cartoons/movies shouldn't be allowed as it would still break the copyright law, which would pretty much get youtube out of business.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:01 pm
Washu_Takahashi
I guess it's not exactally 'right', but I would be very angery if they took those videos off. If it wasn't for youtube, I wouldn't have seen animes like Full Moon Wo Sagashite, Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch, and a few others here and there. As long as they say 'I didn't make this' I don't really think it's wrong. If that's the case, even videos made out of clips from animes/cartoons/movies shouldn't be allowed as it would still break the copyright law, which would pretty much get youtube out of business.

Actually no. There are parody and tribute rights.  

Wyrn

Shameless Stalker

Washu_Takahashi

Shameless Sex Symbol

15,725 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:06 pm
Wyrn
Washu_Takahashi

Actually no. There are parody and tribute rights.
Oh...And now Washu has learned something today. biggrin  
An Anime Addict's Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces