Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Knowing your dieties Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dulliath

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:44 am
I actually started out posting this on another guild, but decided this might be a better place to ask these questions. For most of the people here, I know that these question are a moot point, but I could use some help.

Do you know the names of the main dieties you worship and/or work with (if any)?

Do you understand the things they actually represent?

How did you begin your relationship(s) with said dieties?

Why do you think you were chosen by or chose your dieties?

Are there groups that believe that they dieties you follow are part of their closed Path/religion, and are therefore not allowed to be used by you or anyone outside their path?

If so, why do you believe you do have a legitimate right to call on said diety? (This is NOT meant as a derogatory or trolling question, but as an honest query)

I ask these questions because the main thing that has held me at a standstill for over 2 years now is that my personal dieties are still pretty nameless and faceless. I have not been approached by any dieties that I know of. The dieties that I have researched either have too many qualities that I am not sure I am comfortable with, or are part of a closed path.

I'd love some advice and suggestions. Anybody?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:59 am
Dulliath
Do you know the names of the main dieties you worship and/or work with (if any)?
All but one. She's a little fickle though, and I have a nickname for her that works just as well as an actual name.

Quote:
My gods don't "represent" anything.

The idea that they "represent" something other than themselves is a soft-polytheistic bastardization of cultural mythos.

Quote:
Some of them are deities of my vitsa. Thus, I have had them from birth. To a certain extent, a couple of them make up my namesake- a choice my Baba made for me in the womb.

Others I have met through mutual friends.

Quote:
Family ties for the most part. To a lesser extent, mutual respect and mutual usefullness.

Quote:
Are there groups that believe that the dieties you follow are part of their closed Path/religion, and are therefore not allowed to be used by you or anyone outside their path?
My path is metagenetic in nature. So yes. That is to say- I am one of those people. And having recieved answers from the deities in question and being excepted by the closed culture even though I am didikai- I am part of their chosen people.

Quote:
If so, why do you believe you do have a legitimate right to call on said diety? (This is NOT meant as a derogatory or trolling question, but as an honest query)
To a lesser extent, I could call upon Celtic Deities (no promise they would answer however). I am a Celt by adoption and marriage. But I am personally very against culture rape- and while some Celtic deities have been called in rituals I have been part of in the past- it is by virtue of the Celts who were present, not of my desire.

Quote:
I ask these questions because the main thing that has held me at a standstill for over 2 years now is that my personal dieties are still pretty nameless and faceless. I have not been approached by any dieties that I know of. The dieties that I have researched either have too many qualities that I am not sure I am comfortable with, or are part of a closed path.

My advice would be to stop treating deities like synonyms.

What gods "represent" isn't the issue. It is who they are and how they relate or welcome you.  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:00 am
Dulliath

Yes. I also know many of their kennings and have made up one or two of my own in a few cases.

Dulliath

THey are individuals, not symbols. They don't represent things. They have opinions and experiences.

Dulliath

In one case, I called out to someone, anyone and she answered. A second time I did that, he answered. Sometime around then I figured out I should start looking into the entire pantheon.

Dulliath

No idea. I was there and could hear, perhaps.

Dulliath
Are there groups that believe that they dieties you follow are part of their closed Path/religion, and are therefore not allowed to be used by you or anyone outside their path?

Lots of people worship my gods. Lots more know about them. Many of the lots more are prone to insulting them.

Dulliath

What have you been doing, how have you been looking, and how have you approached them?

My advice is to consider gods like you would consider the person you see who you don't know but who you think looks interesting. How do you approach them? What do you say and do?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:22 am
Deo and Tea: Good sense in surround sound.  

TeaDidikai

iolitefire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:36 am
Dulliath

The main ones I tend to worship are Durga and Yama. I'm still doing some research for others.

Dulliath

Well, gods mean different things to different people. But to me, Durga represents strength and power, while Yama is more on the retribution side of things.

Dulliath

I did some research. I didn't click well with the majority of the western deities so I took a look elsewhere. I found a few deities whose values were similar to ones I appreciate and so I prayed to them during a ritual to see if I could get an answer.

Dulliath

While I picked out the deities to call to, it was the deities' decision whether or not to answer me. I think it once again has to do with the values issue. We also have a good relationship. These are not deities you call on every single day. You call on them when you are at the end of your rope. They want followers who can rely on themselves for the majority of life.

Dulliath

Lol, I've seen this argument before. I actually am annoyed by it and can refute it with several points. But I'll just use one here. Hinduism has a great deal of sects. So while one may have issues with me worshipping their gods, another may be ok with it. Also, this is rather mean, but, how could they stop me either way? You can't force someone not to pray.

Dulliath

I believe I have a legit right to call on them. For several reasons: If I the deities were closed to me then the deities would not have answered my prayers or accepted me as their follower. Also, consider this. No culture's deities are 100% original. People borrow ideas and beliefs from each other all the time. Many of the Greek gods came from the Etruscans, several Hindu gods came from the Fertile Crescent, etc. So unless you made up your own god, no one has exclusive rights to him/her/it.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:00 pm
iolitefire
Lol, I've seen this argument before. I actually am annoyed by it
Heaven forbid people contest your assumptions eh?

Quote:
But I'll just use one here. Hinduism has a great deal of sects. So while one may have issues with me worshipping their gods, another may be ok with it.

So- you're appealing to popularity? That's a great foundation for faith. rolleyes

Quote:
Also, this is rather mean, but, how could they stop me either way? You can't force someone not to pray.
Ending your life would be one way.

But let's go a better route- how many of the Puranas have you read? What about the Mahabharata and Ramayana or the Mahabharata- or any of the Vedas?

Seriously. You think it's okay to practice culture rape? Care to justify it?

Quote:

I believe I have a legit right to call on them. For several reasons: If I the deities were closed to me then the deities would not have answered my prayers or accepted me as their follower.
Maybe they didn't. For all we know you could be working with Thoughtforms made to mimic Hindu deities and stroke your ego.

Quote:
Also, consider this. No culture's deities are 100% original.
I'd love to see you prove that Amari is not the grandmother of the Rroma. Go ahead. You can do it!

Quote:
People borrow ideas and beliefs from each other all the time. Many of the Greek gods came from the Etruscans, several Hindu gods came from the Fertile Crescent, etc. So unless you made up your own god, no one has exclusive rights to him/her/it.
Oh... I see. You're using soft polytheism as a justification for culture rape. Cute.  

TeaDidikai

Aesi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:00 pm
Dulliath

Eh, not their true names, no. That is, I know the names humans gave them: YHVH, Shekhinah, Adam, and Lilith.

Quote:

To the best of my ability.

Quote:

Reconciliation, I suppose. As an LDS kid, I was introduced to the Judeo-Christian Creator, but never cared much for the LDS religion. I explored and experimented a bit after I left home and I thought I'd found the mysticism and extensive power of symbolism that had caught my attention in its rare addresses in Seminary and which was frustratingly absent from what education was available to me. But I was only handed an absolute set of definitions for symbols and divine relationships. Regardless of how many Lllewellyn authors had different opinions, there didn't seem to be much room for interpretation and experience. I wasn't satisfied and I went it alone for a while, learning my own values and discovering a very high estimation of humanity. I realized how important a disciplined mind would be as I aimed for new pursuits. I wanted a method to apply my faith that would require and aid in the development of discipline, which offered vast treasures of interpretation and inspiration, and which made a point of advocating good. So I was drawn back to YHVH, though to a different concept of him.

Quote:

Hell if I know. He seems to be a little picky, but not extremely so. He may just tolerate me because I chose him.

Quote:
Are there groups that believe that the dieties you follow are part of their closed Path/religion, and are therefore not allowed to be used by you or anyone outside their path?

Take a look at the Mideast. There are thousands of closed Judeo-Christian sects. In this case, they aren't necessarily correct, but they are quite determined to believe they are.

Quote:

He doesn't ignore me and he doesn't object. Not the best grounds, I'm sure. But if he minded, I doubt I could get away with it.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:04 pm
Quote:

Yes, well at least the ones that make themselves obviously known.

Quote:

I'm not sure I like the idea of that, it reminds me of those kids that go through pagan books looking for whatever god correspondes with what they want.

Quote:

Curiousity, research, and questions.

Quote:

I haven't the slightest clue, perhaps that saw just how messed up I was and liked it.

Quote:

There are, but whether that's what the gods actually want is beyond all us.

Quote:

Not just randomly, it depends if that specific god calls upon me and honestly wants me to honor it. And even after I feel that I must do plenty of research.  

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

Dulliath

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:10 pm
@Tea, Deo et al. I think I used the wrong word in represent. I think aspect would have been a better one. However, having used that word without thinking, I have decided that it might be a good idea to re-exammine my ideas on relationships with potential dieties. Thanks.

On culture rape. Being american, I tend to have less of an emotional investment in this subject than some people. That's not to say I think that using dieties from a closed system is a good idea. (Actually, I am less worried about what their followers would do to me than what an affronted diety might do.). I tend to view it rather like the Three Bears point of view in Goldilocks. Imagine coming home and finding a stranger lounging around in your house who says to you, "Hey, welcome home! Glad to see you! Porridge was great; too bad you didn't get any. Oh, by the way, your chair is broken and you might want to change the pissy sheets on your bed." Personally, I would have Goldilocks stew for dinner.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:37 pm
Dulliath
No.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
I was atheist until he proved to me there was no way I could continue to be so.

Quote:
I was chosen by him, partially because of my lifestyle and who I am. I've always belonged to him. Trying to ignore it was a futile lie.

Quote:
Note the bold. How exactly do you use a deity?

Quote:
I don't find not knowing my god's name much of a problem. I know his titles and that's enough for now. When he wants me to know he'll tell me.

Quite honestly, knowing a god that's not in your average pagan textbook isn't much of a problem. From a hard polytheistic point of view there may be thousands of deities who never even get mentioned.

And maybe they don't want you to know who they are yet. Gods have their reasons.  

Pelta

Dulliath

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:54 pm
missmagpie

Quote:

Hmm...like the point made about dieties "representing" something, I worded that badly, but probably do some more thinking about it.

missmagpie
Quite honestly, knowing a god that's not in your average pagan textbook isn't much of a problem. From a hard polytheistic point of view there may be thousands of deities who never even get mentioned.

And maybe they don't want you to know who they are yet. Gods have their reasons.

Good point. While I would like to have names for my dieties, it may not be necessary so far as they are concerned.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:56 pm
Aesi
Dulliath

Eh, not their true names, no. That is, I know the names humans gave them: YHVH,
Deity or Demiurge,
Quote:
Shekhinah,
Location.
Quote:
Adam,
Generic name for human kind.
Quote:
and Lilith.
You worship a demoness as a deity.
stare
And I thought Bibi was an odd one.

Quote:

Take a look at the Mideast. There are thousands of closed Judeo-Christian sects. In this case, they aren't necessarily correct, but they are quite determined to believe they are.
I'd love for you to show me know you know they're wrong.

Vertigo_Kiwi
Quote:

I haven't the slightest clue, perhaps that saw just how messed up I was and liked it.
My- that is rather disrespectful of yourself and your deities.

Quote:
Quote:

There are, but whether that's what the gods actually want is beyond all us.
Care to support your assertion on that?

Dulliath
@Tea, Deo et al. I think I used the wrong word in represent. I think aspect would have been a better one. However, having used that word without thinking, I have decided that it might be a good idea to re-exammine my ideas on relationships with potential dieties. Thanks.
Aspect is just as bad. These aren't synonymns. They're deities. Individuals.

missmagpie

Quote:
Ask Tsuzuki.
I would guess it looks a lot like using a friend.  

TeaDidikai

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:35 pm
Dulliath

I haven't worshipped anything specific in quite a long time. The last time I did was over three years ago, when I still felt I was Wiccan (And by Wiccan, I mean that's what I thought I was at the time...I now know that definition to be incorrect.) At that time I was profoundly soft-polytheist and worshipped a very neutral concept of the God and Goddess. I now know that I was being a huge idiot, but I was doing what I needed to at the time...it was a rough page of history for me and we shall leave it at that...

I haven't found anything concrete that I feel I have the right to follow since then, nor has "anyone" found me.

Dulliath

The soft polytheist God and Goddess? Well, they were the literal manifestation of everything that men and women COULD BE to me at that time, so I guess that's counts.

Dulliath

Making my best attempt to facilitate faith thru the crap the L-wyn publications. Yeah...I'm not proud of that.

Dulliath

I wasn't chosen; I more chose them. In retrospect they may have been thoughtforms or something similiar. I'm completely unsure of the matter.

Dulliath

Doubtful...I'm not very willing to call what I once worshipped dieties.

Dulliath

N/A

Dulliath

I have...no clue how to proceed at this moment myself...so...um...good luck? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:18 pm
Dulliath

Yes.

Dulliath

They are not symbols, so they don't represent things.

Dulliath

Through Initiation and specific introduction and training by those who knew them before me.

Dulliath

Short answer: Because I need them and they need me.

Dulliath

No. I am one of the people referred to in this, although I would replace the word "allowed" with "able" and the word "used" with something else like... "served."  

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:59 pm
Dulliath

Mostly. There is a "Goddess" that has gone unnamed, but I am unsure of her exact nature right now.
Quote:

I'm using "represent" in the context of understanding their personality.

To a degree. I will probably never learn the gods full nature, but I have lots of clues that they've left behind.

Quote:

Began with research, and contacting various pantheons, looking for, I'm at a loss of words for the process, but the "right fit". The experiences ranged from uncomfortable to "You're sweet, but not us". All respectfull on both sides though.

Began with research, then noticed a pattern to research, then a vision of a golden arrow and 15 billion crows following me around, which lead to Apollo, and the Gods of Olympus, et al. I have various relationships with the various gods, nymphs, ect...
Quote:

Cause I'm special, thats why.

I really don't know. I'm not a leader, I'm not particularly skilled in anything, I can barely remember to keep a decent ceremony going, but I'm theirs.

Quote:

Nationalist Greeks, yes.

Quote:

Considering the history of the Greek gods, where they came from, and where they spread, I think the Hellenic gods are quite possibly the furthest thing from a closed culture EVER.

Quote:

Don't worry about it. A nameless and faceless deity (so long as you are sure it is a deity) is still one. I think the "Goddess" that pops into my mind and demands attention is the same one that moved me when I first came to Paganism. I also was a soft-polytheist then. Doesn't suit me anymore, although I have my moments.

And quite frankly, having deities isn't the end all be all of a Pagan path. Find what works for you, rather than a preconcieved notion of what paganism is.

Also, don't put deities on a diet, mmkay? That mispelling irks me. Right up there with alter.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 11 12 13 14 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff