Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
vegetarianism Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:14 am
well, well. I noticed you didn't have a thread about this. That made me think ''oh my. Something must be done!'' so yes, here is thread to discuss vegetarians etc. I am a vegetarian, and if it werent for the existence of cheese (and yoghurt) I'd be a vegan. Yeah, so discuss veggies.

different types of veggies:
-vegetarian:eats no meat or fish
-piscerean:eats fish but no meat
-lacto-vegetarian:eats no meat no fish, and no eggs, but does eat dairy
-ovo-vegetarian: same but the other way round (eats eggs but not milk)
-vegan:eats no meat, fish, honey, dairy or eggs. wears no animal products (leather etc)
-fruitarian:like vegetarian, but only eats vegetables d not kill the whole plant if you remove them from the plant
-macrobiotic:eats nothing taht has ever lived, or that came from a living thing. basically lives off water and mineral supplements.

yeah.  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:51 am
I don't see the logic in any of that, to be honest.

However much you'd like to disagree, humans are still animals, no matter HOW much of the earth we take over, and no matter how "intelligent" we are. And what do animals in the "wild" go by? The food chain. Because of the way that humans have evolved and developed, and the things they've invented, humans are pretty much at the top. We've been eating meat since we were cavemen.
And not only that, but humans are designed to be omnivores. This shows via many ways; incisors and canines which are designed for tearing and biting, legs which can run fast enough to persue yet they need not be fast enough to escape, and good eyesight to pick out prey. Of course, that was then, and it's so much easier now, what with farming having developed, but those elements still remain.

Anyone ever heard the song "Meat is Murder" by the Smiths? Agree or disagree? We're meant to eat meat, and in order to eat it, we have to kill it first - whether it's wild, from a free-range farm, or a battery farm, we still have to kill it. Ultimately, the animals that we kill are meant to be eaten by us. Why don't we have the RSPCA or PETA on our backs, taking us to court, claiming animal cruelty?

Plus, people get protein deficiencies from not eating meat. What does that tell you?

I just don't see the logic.  

Gaulia

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:53 am
yes, humans are still animals. and they are omnivores. they can survive without meat. so why should they eat other anmals, if they dont actually need to?  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:00 pm
We British need our meat. 'Tis an age old tradition! You could never sample the simple joys of a steak and kidney pie, or a fresh lamb cutlet sprinkled with mint... *mouth waters* rolleyes  

Nebelstern
Crew

Gaulia

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:03 pm
Why do any omnivores still eat meat when they don't have to? Why do we have carnivores at all? Why, as a matter of fact, doesn't every animal in the world become a herbivore?

Why? Because it wouldn't work. Hunting, no matter what species, is a superb way of keeping population down. Now, if the poopulation of anything was too big, then there'd be huge repercussions.
And apart from that, we need the proteins. We need variety.

We're able to survive without electricity. Why doesn't everyone do that?  
Humans cannot survive on a vegetarian diet, you get more food per hectare with meat than you do crops, and you need to lay an area fallow or you will be able to grow nothing. We could not physically grow wnough to have an entirely vegetarian world...Now cannibalism. There's a solution for you!  

and_solo_said

Days of Empire

Mega Genius

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
Quote:
macrobiotic:eats nothing taht has ever lived, or that came from a living thing. basically lives off water and mineral supplements.

Is that even possible?

I was a vegetarian once. I turned grey, and developed something similar to arthritis. My doctor diagnosed protein deficiency and prescribed a bacong and sausage sandwich. Really. Never looked back. Ethical this, animal that... screw it, I want a steak. Rare. Still bleeding.

I can see the logic in vegetarianism, people with ethical objections to the treatment of animals. Ok. Fair enough. Eating no cheese, or eggs... well... that seems a bit weird to me. It does no harm to an animal to milk it, or to collect the unfertilised eggs.
Not wearing leather, ok, maybe I see the logic. Wool? No, don't understand that much...

Not eating vegetables or fruits... well, in my opinion that's just stupid. I've never even heard of that practise before. That's the way the world works. Life feeds on life, feeds on life, feeds on life. (This... is... necessary... whee reference++)  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:07 pm
Ah, Alex! Could it be that you have roseability?

As Gertrude Stein did quoth; "...rose is a rose is a rose..."

She also said "...That's enough...", but that's another story... rolleyes

Nebelstern
Crew

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:12 pm
Erix Griffon
Quote:
macrobiotic:eats nothing taht has ever lived, or that came from a living thing. basically lives off water and mineral supplements.

Is that even possible?

I was a vegetarian once. I turned grey, and developed something similar to arthritis. My doctor diagnosed protein deficiency and prescribed a bacong and sausage sandwich. Really. Never looked back. Ethical this, animal that... screw it, I want a steak. Rare. Still bleeding.

I can see the logic in vegetarianism, people with ethical objections to the treatment of animals. Ok. Fair enough. Eating no cheese, or eggs... well... that seems a bit weird to me. It does no harm to an animal to milk it, or to collect the unfertilised eggs.
Not wearing leather, ok, maybe I see the logic. Wool? No, don't understand that much...

Not eating vegetables or fruits... well, in my opinion that's just stupid. I've never even heard of that practise before. That's the way the world works. Life feeds on life, feeds on life, feeds on life. (This... is... necessary... whee reference++)
well, im if anything healthier than i was, and it gives me something to obsess over so that i'm not as obsessive compulsive as i used to be  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:17 pm
Vegetarianism is a bit of a non-debate, really. It's not so much whether or not it's right to eat meat; the key issue is about the treatment of the animals. Certainly, I think it's wrong to eat meat which came from a farm where the animals were poorly treated. But that's why I always buy organic meat. Plus, it doesn't have excess oestrogen in and so it doesn't give you moobs. gonk
In fact, I believe that it is morally better to eat organic meat than to be a vegetarian. The reason being, the life of an animal on an organic farm is extremely comfortable, the animal has everything it needs, lots of space, ltos of food, and a few moments of suffering at the end of it's life. An animal in the wild is constantly struggling to find food, find shelter, adn avoid being eaten. If you were a sheep, which would you rather? It's a no-brainer really. Plus, if we didn't farm animals, all the species we farm would be totally unable to survive in the wild and would face rapid extinction.
Vegetarians repent!  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Blurred Intelligence

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:25 pm
Smoky bacon and roast chicken flavoured crisps are vegetarian, isn't that an interesting peice of useless information.  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:29 pm
Takazlemi
Smoky bacon and roast chicken flavoured crisps are vegetarian, isn't that an interesting peice of useless information.
yeah and cheese flavour doritos arent.  

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

Gaulia

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:31 pm
whapcapn
Vegetarianism is a bit of a non-debate, really. It's not so much whether or not it's right to eat meat; the key issue is about the treatment of the animals. Certainly, I think it's wrong to eat meat which came from a farm where the animals were poorly treated. But that's why I always buy organic meat. Plus, it doesn't have excess oestrogen in and so it doesn't give you moobs. gonk
In fact, I believe that it is morally better to eat organic meat than to be a vegetarian. The reason being, the life of an animal on an organic farm is extremely comfortable, the animal has everything it needs, lots of space, ltos of food, and a few moments of suffering at the end of it's life. An animal in the wild is constantly struggling to find food, find shelter, adn avoid being eaten. If you were a sheep, which would you rather? It's a no-brainer really. Plus, if we didn't farm animals, all the species we farm would be totally unable to survive in the wild and would face rapid extinction.
Vegetarians repent!

The animal was born to be food to us no matter how it lived; so it was born to die so we could eat it. It's fate is still going to be the same, no matter whether the animal was treated wonderfully or horribly.  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 12:49 pm
Gaulia
whapcapn
Vegetarians repent!

The animal was born to be food to us no matter how it lived; so it was born to die so we could eat it. It's fate is still going to be the same, no matter whether the animal was treated wonderfully or horribly.

Be that is it may, it is a moral duty of us to sure that the animal does not suffer more than necessary.  

Boolean Julian
Crew

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 1:12 pm
Im not vegetarian but let people do what they want. If they want to be vegitarian thats for them to do. Doesnt effect you.

I think animals should be treated well. They are a lot cleverer than is commenly thought and they should be given a good quality of life.

Animals are not born to be eaten. They are born to carry on the species. Not even farmed animals.  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff