Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Invasion of the Uke D: Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

B4D W0LF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:56 am
Has anyone noticed thats scince Gravitation, most uke chracters, original character ukes and ukes on gaia have become less like guys and more like 5 year old girls?
Let me explain. It seems most ukes today are terribly effeminate. They are drawn to look like young girls (beautiful hair, big expresive eyes). Now I'm all for bishounen but sometimes it gets a bit much.
Possibly worst of all, is the typical uke personality, whiney, clingly and dare I say alittle obnoxious.
Whatever happened to ukes who were still male?

P.S. If you think this topic is bashing yaoi, youve misread. If you think this topic is sexist, youve misread. If you think I'm bashing Gravitation or if you come up with a list of ukes in anime who are as I described in an effort to persuade me that this type of uke is popular, your wasting your time.
I'm not rude and I'm not a flamer, so please lets have a nice topic :3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:00 am
Like Glenn in Chrono Trigger. There's a male uke for you!

Too bad there wasn't anything definitively shown between him and Cyrus... only hinted at...  

Lucca Ashtear

Graceful crisis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:11 am
*Agrees* Alot of Uke characters are too whiney .. gonk
I love stuff like Yellow, where they are both.. real men .. Yeah.. heart

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:24 am
No, I haven't noticed... probably because I never knew about BL before reading Gravitation. >>

But I don't think I've ever had any trouble finding 'guyish' ukes...  

MooMooJuice

LadyNox
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:31 am
I don't know... it's been like this as far back as I can remember. I think the difference now is that there is a much greater amount of acessible BL manga, making it look like there's been an increase. Uber fem ukes, whine ukes, childish uke (and any combination of those and other stereotypes) have been around forever. So much so I spend a lot of time avoiding those stories.

I don't like femmy men, but I'd really like for them to act more like men than women.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:32 am
My characters are probebly the last guyish ukes around Gaia.

I read Yellow, and that's the kind of uke I like! Manly, strong...and in denial about his sexuality...  

meyou22

Graceful crisis

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:41 am
meyou22
My characters are probebly the last guyish ukes around Gaia.

I read Yellow, and that's the kind of uke I like! Manly, strong...and in denial about his sexuality...

I love the denial part @__@ They're just too damn sexy together heart  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:27 am
I know it's rated a bit higher,
but I happen to like Ai no Kusabi,
because the uke (I forget his name),
is very stubborn....
Very male....
He fights for his rights as a strong character....
He doesn't act like the simpering fools
that most uke's have turned into.....
(But don't get me wrong,
a soft uke is nice once in a while....
But I perfer the strong, independant,
male ukes....)  

Miusyra

kirukakiru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:55 am
well, ill agree, to a point, but if you read things like FAKE there are still some manga where the uke is all manly...sorta...but hey, im an uke, and im only rarely a raving 5year old.......usually im a bossy psychotic maniac....im one of those ukes who is often confused for a seme....and thats actually how i like meh ukes anyways...all funky, not fitting into the steriotype, or totally blowing your mind with "waitaminuet, they are an uke? i thought they were totally strait!" or something (( has a few origional stories with that sinario, totally suprised my beta's ))  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:57 pm
Not really...
I have to say this because I never really read Gravitation untill about 3 months ago. I dont see a BIG change in the boy love world. Now I'm not saying this is all Gravitations falt because the stereotype for the gay man is not what it used to be either. But a little bit of the girly-guy isn't that bad but to much, ya thats when something is going to go wrong.

(For one thing, I like the girly-guy. Thats why I dont want it to get big. Then thats when the noobs are going to come in and kill it) I like the old way of yaoi/boy love. Where there wasn't some many things that people wanted to change. But as time goes on so does the way people look at it. I meen look at how meny fans there are now then there were. So meny people didn't like yaoi/boy love (or did like it and didn't want to say they did). Now SO meny more poeple like it. There will be new ideas that come with those people.

Death PIague

Pax et lux

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:11 pm
I like the feminine men. I really do. Honestly.

But there is also "seme" stereotypes; those actually bother me more.

But it's slightly insulting, I know. If you want something more... realistic, try doing your searches for boyxboy manga under the "Geicomi" genre. It's actual gay manga, drawn by actual gay men. (Minus the "uke" and "seme" stereotypes. :3)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:33 pm
Honestly, I think that stereotype exists because of Japan's view of women. Desirable woman are not smart mature ladies with a good head on their shoulders, men want young immature women. Men practically worship schoolgirls, they go as far as to buy their used panties! Since that's what men are looking for, that is seen as the woman's place, or the submissive partner. Many people cite slash as being about an equality in the relationship. I don't think a lot of yaoi actually has that. There's still a lot of people who have to make one character a woman. They make them women by visiting that Japanese stereotype of an ideal woman.

Personally, the whole whiny protesting uke annoys the crap out of me, but some people think that's how it's got to be. I wish there would be a little more variety in characterization out there. Here's hoping that with the rise of yaoi and more artists and writers from other countries and other perspectives getting into the game, the world of yaoi will open up.  

For-Chan Cookie
Captain

7,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Clambake 200

Kitsune-chi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:01 pm
The whiny uke is a huge pet peeve of mine, and as For-chan Cookie mentioned, it seems to be the ideal woman for some men.

Which irks me so much there's no way to describe it properly.

It's also why I when I dabble in making my own original plots, I will not- I repeat, will NOT- have any of this whiny uke idiot buisness.

Not that it matters, since most of the caracter designs and such are more for my own enjoyment rather than showing them to the public.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:09 pm
i wish at least some ukes weren't so whiny and dramatic. i mean, a little is fine and all but come on! give them somewhat better traits.  

Kongouseki

ShadowedMoonlight

Ruthless Sweetheart

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:50 pm
Being a little feminine is one thing, but being a whiny brat is another. A lot of uke these days seem to be acting like spoiled five year olds... it doesn't make me happy. I don't think that it's something that was triggered by Gravi, however. Character personalities seem to come and go in trends. This is the current one.

Miusyra
I know it's rated a bit higher,
but I happen to like Ai no Kusabi,
because the uke (I forget his name),
is very stubborn....
Very male....
He fights for his rights as a strong character....
He doesn't act like the simpering fools
that most uke's have turned into.....
(But don't get me wrong,
a soft uke is nice once in a while....
But I perfer the strong, independant,
male ukes....)

You mean Riki? Yes, he's a good uke character. He isn't ye typical spineless steryotype.  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff