Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Just out of curiosity Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dulliath

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:37 pm
I am an eclectic pagan. *wincing while waiting to be shredded into small pieces of fluff* However, I was just wondering. I know that once initiated into a lineaged wiccan coven as a priest or priestess, someone can say they are wiccan.

What do people call themselves if they are neophytes working towards being initiated into a lineaged coven? Do they have the right to at least say they are practicing the wiccan faith?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:26 am
Dulliath
I am an eclectic pagan. *wincing while waiting to be shredded into small pieces of fluff* However, I was just wondering. I know that once initiated into a lineaged wiccan coven as a priest or priestess, someone can say they are wiccan.

What do people call themselves if they are neophytes working towards being initiated into a lineaged coven? Do they have the right to at least say they are practicing the wiccan faith?

If someone thrashes you for saying ecclectic pagan I'll personally smack them.

As to the question... Depends...
Generally they are referred to as Neophytes, Dedicants or Seekers.
As fo the second... I would say its more sensible to say they are following or studying Wicca rather than practicing Wicca.  

StrawberryGumiho

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:53 am
As there isn't a unified Wiccan word for the term- you could call yourself a wombat for all most would care.

Personally? I think seeker or student has a nice sound to it.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:52 am
TeaDidikai
As there isn't a unified Wiccan word for the term- you could call yourself a wombat for all most would care.

Personally? I think seeker or student has a nice sound to it.

Wiccan Neophyte is the term I use.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Dulliath

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:58 pm
Shimegamis_Rage

Sorry if I tend to duck too soon. I have run into many people who have been burned by someone who calls themself an eclectic pagan so that they can do the religious equivelent of walking into someone elses house and making themselves at home or taking what they want.

Not that I don't understand why they would feel angry. It just makes it a little difficult for me to describe my path in less than a paragraph without wondering if I am going to regret saying anything.

(Yes, I know. I'm the queen of the run on sentence.)  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:14 pm
Dulliath
Shimegamis_Rage

Sorry if I tend to duck too soon. I have run into many people who have been burned by someone who calls themself an eclectic pagan so that they can do the religious equivelent of walking into someone elses house and making themselves at home or taking what they want.

Not that I don't understand why they would feel angry. It just makes it a little difficult for me to describe my path in less than a paragraph without wondering if I am going to regret saying anything.

(Yes, I know. I'm the queen of the run on sentence.)
Having people question you is a good way to sort out your position.

Although- if you are looking to be Wiccan, you might want to put your Ecclectic Paganism on a shelf.  

TeaDidikai

Dulliath

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:35 pm
TeaDidikai
Having people question you is a good way to sort out your position.

Although- if you are looking to be Wiccan, you might want to put your Ecclectic Paganism on a shelf.

I don't mind at all being questioned about my beliefs, although the answer to many questions is "I don't know yet". I just don't like having to defend myself from assuptions made on the basis of mistakes someone else has made. I make plenty of mistakes all by myself; I don't need help with that. I even try to learn from them.

As far as Wicca, while I like some of what I have learned about it (ditheism, reincarnation) there isn't anything I've seen so far that is inherently wicca that calls to me. Besides which, I am really enjoying my ongoing search for my own path. I'm just not ready to give up finding it yet.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:58 pm
Fair enough.

Although getting annoyed at the nature of ecclectic paganism is a time honored tradition for me.

But then- I take issue with culture rape in general.  

TeaDidikai

Dulliath

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:55 pm
TeaDidikai
Fair enough.

Although getting annoyed at the nature of ecclectic paganism is a time honored tradition for me.

But then- I take issue with culture rape in general.

Which is part of the reason I tend to use a generic umbrella term for my path. I like to make sure that what I am "borrowing" is something I have permission to borrow. It takes alot more research to make sure I'm not using things I have no right to, but that's part of the fun of it.

Maybe I should call myself an M'notsheryet instead?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:29 pm
Dulliath

Made up term?
Google returns nothing and Wikipedia draws a blank.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Kal Eldritch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:47 pm
reagun ban
Dulliath

Made up term?
"Am not sure yet" I believe. Phonetic group word, more likely than anything often used.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 5:49 pm
Sovereign of Darkness
reagun ban
Dulliath

Made up term?
"Am not sure yet" I believe. Phonetic group word, more likely than anything often used.

LOL
Dyslexia can be no fun.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Dulliath

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:19 pm
Sovereign of Darkness
reagun ban
Dulliath

Made up term?

Sorry. I didn't think about what it would look like outside my own mind before I posted it.

Yes, it's "am not sure yet".  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:29 pm
reagun ban
Sovereign of Darkness
reagun ban
Dulliath

Made up term?

LOL
Dyslexia can be no fun.
And for some reason, I feel really bad now. confused  

Kal Eldritch

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items