Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Malystryx
  Who?
  The Dragon Overlord?
View Results

Galadedrid Damodred

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:53 pm
By Madeline l'Engle. It's a bit strange, very different, but very good! It's about a girl named Meg, her brother Charles Wallace and her friend Calvin. Oh, and a trio of guardian angels known as the Mrs W's. Has anyone read it?  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:20 pm
I read... all of Madeleine L'Engel's books that they had at my school library except for one, the one with the twins as the main characters, and something about water in the title. I can't recall the title. In fact, I don't remember most of the titles, but I rather did like the books themselves. They had a neat mix of science in with the fantasy, which is good if it's pulled off well, and L'Engle does it off quite nicely.  

NightIntent
Captain

Pwale

900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:53 pm
Galadedrid Damodred
By Madeline l'Engle. It's a bit strange, very different, but very good! It's about a girl named Meg, her brother Charles Wallace and her friend Calvin. Oh, and a trio of guardian angels known as the Mrs W's. Has anyone read it?

NOOOOO!!!!!! They AREN'T gaurdian angels!!!! I hate it that people always say that! It completely destroy's the characters! They. Aren't. Anything. At least, not as we see things.
They're stars. Dead stars.

I love Madeline L'Engle, she's a sci-fi genius, I learned so many theories from her works.
Oh, before anyone calls me on that, no. I don't think her stories are fact. She DOES, on the other hand, use real life little-known advanced sientific theories. Most of the time having to do with demensions, I got really into 4th and up dimensions after reading her book. But I've yet (surprisingly) come to meet an adult who can intelligently discuss the Tesseract with me, since none of them have EVER read A Wrinkle In Time, let alone studied the unheard of dimensions.
Sigh...I wish they taught us about those in school. It's too difficult a college class to take, I just don't have the grades. Sigh...  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:13 pm
I've read it. Well, mostly because I saw the movie first and wondered how different it was from the actual story. As usual, I think, the book was better than the movie.  

fce5c7a32187df1c0a5ebcaa2

Kai Errant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:11 pm
Those are amazing books. I really need to reread them.

I also liked her book about writing, Walking on Water. It was amazing and I would highly recommend it.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:27 pm
NightIntent
I read... all of Madeleine L'Engel's books that they had at my school library except for one, the one with the twins as the main characters, and something about water in the title.

Many Waters. Not one of her best, IMHO. She's like a lot of good authors--writes excellent first books & then whatever series starts on a downward slope. With L'Engle it is a gradual slope, at least, but by Many Waters it's definitely there.

I love the Mrs. W's in Wrinkle.  

Bookwyrme

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:30 pm
Ah. Then maybe it's a good thing that I didn't read it. Although I do remmeber liking some of the later books in the series... I just don't remember any titles. Or character names. Well, no, I remember a Maddoc or Maddog or something in one, as the bad guy. I liked that book.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:49 pm
Bookwyrme
Many Waters. Not one of her best, IMHO. She's like a lot of good authors--writes excellent first books & then whatever series starts on a downward slope. With L'Engle it is a gradual slope, at least, but by Many Waters it's definitely there.

I actually rather enjoyed Many Waters. At least, I liked it a lot more than I liked a few of the Vicky Austin novels. The Nephilim, the setting, and the characters really intregued me. But to each his own, I suppose.  

Kai Errant

Pwale

900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:42 pm
I also disagree, I thought that Many Waters was really good. You got to look into the twins point of view, and the twins themselves really become different people in that book.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:18 am
Lady Greenwitch
Galadedrid Damodred

NOOOOO!!!!!! They AREN'T gaurdian angels!!!! I hate it that people always say that! It completely destroy's the characters! They. Aren't. Anything. At least, not as we see things.

I love Madeline L'Engle, she's a sci-fi genius, I learned so many theories from her works.
Oh, before anyone calls me on that, no. I don't think her stories are fact. She DOES, on the other hand, use real life little-known advanced sientific theories. Most of the time having to do with demensions, I got really into 4th and up dimensions after reading her book. But I've yet (surprisingly) come to meet an adult who can intelligently discuss the Tesseract with me, since none of them have EVER read A Wrinkle In Time, let alone studied the unheard of dimensions.
Sigh...I wish they taught us about those in school. It's too difficult a college class to take, I just don't have the grades. Sigh...

Madeline l'Engle
"Angels!" shouted Calvin. "Messengers of God!"

Galadedrid Damodred

Galadedrid Damodred

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:21 am
Galadedrid Damodred
Lady Greenwitch
Galadedrid Damodred

Madeline l'Engle

And the Tesseract is actually the fourth dimension. I looked it up on Wikipedia.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:44 pm
Galadedrid Damodred

i've read it... i think it's pretty good! 3nodding heart

and good research! 3nodding  

xLeath

Pwale

900 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:16 pm
Galadedrid Damodred
Galadedrid Damodred
Lady Greenwitch
Galadedrid Damodred

Madeline l'Engle

And the Tesseract is actually the fourth dimension. I looked it up on Wikipedia.

...Wikipedia isn't a good source! Anyone can write it!
Go to Marsh Arabs. On one of them a friend of mine wrote 'they eat monkeys in olive oil", it's probably still there.

According to the dictionary the fourth dimension is "a postulated spatial dimension additional to those determing length, area and volume."
Copied word for word.

Also, the Mrs. W's themselves say that they're dead stars. "Gaurdian Angels" is a religious image and I hate it when people apply religion to books like that. Her books are a bit religious, but I like to ignore that. They're less fun when you see them from that point of view.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:12 pm
yes i read it in gr. 7. Our class had to do it as a novel study. I was the worst novel study i have ever done!!! i hated the book! it wasn't interesting to me at all. it was really weird and i didn't really understand it properly...  

juicybabe345

Bookwyrme

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:14 pm
juicybabe345
yes i read it in gr. 7. Our class had to do it as a novel study. I was the worst novel study i have ever done!!! i hated the book! it wasn't interesting to me at all. it was really weird and i didn't really understand it properly...

Weird and wonderful. Give it another try in a year or so smile  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces