Other Genres Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:32 pm
I've been meaning to make this for months, I've just kept forgetting. Now's as good a time as any.

So, while I figure that everyone here loves fantasy books, I also figure that we all have to read other genres at some point. What are some good non-fantasy books you've read? Any genre counts, from sci-fi to non-fiction.

I quite liked Jurrassic Park (I hated the movie, though), and Raptor Red was good, too. I tried a couple of Dan Brown's books, and while they were fairly interesting, I can't read them again, which is how I judge how good a book is. Other than that... I'm drawing a blank at the moment, lthough I know I've liked some other ones. There was a sci-fi story in an anthology I read called Familiars, and it was my favorite story in that book. And this one book I read by Odell Shepard about unicorns (can't remember the exact title) was pretty interesting, too.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:53 pm
I love Anne Rice. Her books (the Vampire Chronicles) are so spellbinding. I dont read much else. Some Historical fiction, but that's hard to catch my interest. And Hold it.  

Claudia de Lenfent

Harbone

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:10 pm
I like true crime and heist stories. I especially like ones where the criminal more-or-less gets away with it. Among the best of these are Hornung's "Raffles" stories (Raffles is kind of the opposite of Sherlock Holmes, a gentleman thief who always manages to confound his nemesis in Scotland Yard. Raffles even has an attentive, slightly befuddled sidekick, like Watson in his wastrel friend, Bunny.)

I am fond of science fiction as well. If you like swashbuckling naval stories, you may want to check out "Mission of Gravity" by Hal Clement. This first couple chapters are rather dry, but the main story tells of a group of centipede-like mariners on a high gravity planet. They have the high-gravity-equivalent of old timey sailing technology and a group of human scientists in orbit help the little bug guys circumnavigate the globe (and reach centipede-peoples' own pole.) It really becomes quite a gripping read.

Boat of a Million years by Poul Anderson is a pretty good sci fi story about immortals and Lest Darkness Fall by L. Sprague DeCamp tells of a man hurled back in time who tries to prevent the dark ages from coming about.

I am, afraid, outside of fantasy, however, that most of these books are rather male-oriented, but I think anyone can have fun with them.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:11 pm
You foolish males.... whee  

Claudia de Lenfent

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:42 pm
Oh, yeah. I got into mystery a while back, and read a few that I liked, but I tired of mystery books quickly. Once in a while, I'll read some historical fiction, but I generally like it more when there's fantasy stuff added in.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:20 pm
Mostly, whatever I read that's not fantasy is sci-fi. It's rare for me to find a real-life book that I actually read, let alone like. But I did really like Look Through My Window by Jean Little.  

fce5c7a32187df1c0a5ebcaa2

scarlett enchantress

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:17 pm
i practically read anything but star wars, Tolkien, and star trek.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:43 am
Nancy Farmer is my goddess her books are amazing

The Ear the Eye and the Arm
Sea of Trolls
House of Scorpion
Into the Land of the Silver Apples
A Girl Named Disaster  

murphyad

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:31 pm
NightIntent

I quite liked Jurrassic Park and Raptor Red was good, too.

Man, I haven't thought of those books in years!
In fiction I've also read: The Lost World, Congo, several horse stories (Race the Wind, Black Beauty, etc), Jack London's works, Edgar Allan Poe's works.

I read a lot of animal behaviorism & psycology books: If You Tame Me, Pack of Two, The Cat Who Cried for Help, The Dog Who Loved too Much, When Elephants Weep, The Ten Trusts, Animals in Translation, it goes on (and on and on).  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:45 pm
Maze353
NightIntent

In fiction I've also read: The Lost World, Congo, several horse stories (Race the Wind, Black Beauty, etc), Jack London's works, Edgar Allan Poe's works.

I read a lot of animal behaviorism & psycology books: If You Tame Me, Pack of Two, The Cat Who Cried for Help, The Dog Who Loved too Much, When Elephants Weep, The Ten Trusts, Animals in Translation, it goes on (and on and on).

I read a bunch of horse books, too. Never Black Beauty, though. I made the mistake of seeing the movie first, and I just couldn't get into the book knowing the ending. I loved Marguerite Henry's books, though (I htink that's her name... it's been a long time. The one who wrote Misty of Chincoteague). And I have to re-read The Lost World sometime. I entirely forget anything that happened in it.

Oooh, how was Animals in Translation? Someone recommended it to me, but I don't really read many animal behavior books or things like that. And are there any others that you would recommend? Or any other non-fiction books? I'm trying to read more non-fiction that's not assigned for school.  

NightIntent
Captain

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:29 pm
NightIntent
Maze353
NightIntent

I read a bunch of horse books, too. Never Black Beauty, though. I made the mistake of seeing the movie first, and I just couldn't get into the book knowing the ending. I loved Marguerite Henry's books, though (I htink that's her name... it's been a long time. The one who wrote Misty of Chincoteague). And I have to re-read The Lost World sometime. I entirely forget anything that happened in it.

Oooh, how was Animals in Translation? Someone recommended it to me, but I don't really read many animal behavior books or things like that. And are there any others that you would recommend? Or any other non-fiction books? I'm trying to read more non-fiction that's not assigned for school.

I read all of Marguerite Henry's books. She wrote about lots of different horses.

Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin is one of my all-time favorite books & is well worth reading. I recommed it to all the animal ppl I know (and non-animal ppl too). Some other good behavior books are:

The Cat Who Cried for Help & The Dog Who Loved Too Much both by Dr. Nicholas Dodman (The Cat Who Cried is really interesting because you never hear much about cat behavior problems)

The Secret Life of Dogs & Tribe of Tiger both by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas are about the social structures & complexities of cats & dogs.

If You Tame Me by Leslie Irvine and Marc Bekoff & Pack of Two by Caroline Knapp both discuss the role of animals in our lives & argue that animals are cognative beings.

When Elephants Weep by Moussaieff Masson and Susan McCarthy is about the emotional lives of animals.

If you want any more titles let me know. I've got a huge list.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:57 am
I read most of Marguerite Henry's horse books. I know there were like two or three that I could never find, but I don't remember which. Misty of Chincoteague is just the most well-known of her books, I think. Actually, looking at a list of her books, there're quite a few that I didn't even know about.

Cool, thanks. I'll see if I can get those over the summer. Any others would be good, too, if you're willing to list them.  

NightIntent
Captain

Valas Hume

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:19 pm
I like to read philosophy, political philosophy, strategy... I've been addicted to Nietzsche lately  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:48 pm
Strategy? Like what kind of strategy?

Oh, another genre that I got into a couple years ago (mostly for a project) and am gonna try to get back into is postmodern. It's mind-boggling, but still pretty fun to read. Anyone else read postmodern books? I've only read The Crying of Lot 49 (amazing, if you don't mind being massively confused throughout the book), White Noise, and I think it was Breakfast of Champions. One of Vonnegut's books. I plan to read at least Gravity's Rainbow over the summer, because my English teacher made it sound interesting. I'll probably read any of Pynchon's books that I can get at the library. I can't remember any other titles, so I'm gonna have to look some of those up.  

NightIntent
Captain

chessiejo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:09 pm
i have some sci-fi, especially if you include terry pratchett!

but also classics like Heinlein, Clark, and Asimov.

as well as Ursula K. LeGuin

and Andre Norton redface

i also have some horror, including Lovecraft and King.

sometimes this whole assortment is lumped together with fantasy as "speculative fiction"  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff